Bye bye UBer, I quit today.

chameleon168

MsMercenary, I hope Eats goes well for you and I'm sorry to hear about the situation at your previous jobs/career field. My hubs has a great and stable job now (and I am SO thankful) but he was laid off from his previous job of 26 years a few years ago due to many of the reasons you mentioned. It SUCKS, I know. Best of luck to you!! 😊

Elvis travels

Why I drove for Uber for 6 years, after the many times they have screwed drivers, I don't know, I must be a masochist. Here's the game they play, they cut pay, drivers leave. The raise pay, hire new drivers, and just when they are happy, they cut pay again and drivers leave again, then they raise pay, hire more drivers and the same thing all over again. I've seen this yo yo of a company do this too many times. I hear the turnover is hellatious with Uber, where do they think having high turnover is a good thing? No company does well with high turnover, no company can succeed with low morale in the rank and file. I mean, I'm just a driver and I think I got more brains than the management, they should make me CEO, I've put years on the road, I know what a driver values. It's not all the little tiny perks, it's not the contests, or 'free courses with some mail order university, or coupons at some store, or a discount at Autozone. They need to quit treating drivers like we are retail customers, what drivers want is DECENT PAY, you know the kind of pay you can live on and have enough disposable income to save a little, go to concert once in while? is that too much to ask? Geez. ENOUGH. Uber, you are history. Okay, done with the rant. I signed up with GrubHub, Did $25 an hour the first day with them. I shall see how it goes, hopefully they are better. But, I'll just have to drive and see.
Any company that has a revolving door of hiring you know sucks

Ms. Mercenary

MsMercenary, I hope Eats goes well for you and I'm sorry to hear about the situation at your previous jobs/career field. My hubs has a great and stable job now (and I am SO thankful) but he was laid off from his previous job of 26 years a few years ago due to many of the reasons you mentioned. It SUCKS, I know. Best of luck to you!! 😊
Oh, I’m fine. Even happy - it was time to go and there are things far more important.

But that’s how capitalism works (not a political statement, just a pov). Before there was telecommuting it was a much different situation - people needed to hire people. There is a reason why people responding to customer service calls have an accent - it’s too expensive otherwise.

Same is happenning in companies with offices in several countries around the world - thanks to the time difference they have people working 24/7 on any given project. They don’t need to pay overtime. They’re thrilled, they’re making a killing and a pension for employees is now a dinosaur. Those are all pay cuts, albeit masked ones

Another example - before my company was paying full health insurance costs for any type of coverage - “we want you to be comfortable”. By the time I was leaving the options sucked and employees had to contribute. That, too, is a pay cut.

So unless you’re the head honcho, you’re getting screwed one way or another.

I can go on and on and on. But frankly what got my panties all in a bunch is getting called an apologist. I am many things. But that has never been one of them.

Taxi2Uber

Uber apologists consistently use the same tactics
And your tactic is to berate anyone that isn't onboard your negativity train.
Any comment or observation of anything remotely positive about Uber or RS, you think is an Uber apologist.
Your rants are really tiresome and boring.
Uber isn't as crappy as the rest, they're among the WORST.
Yet , you still drive, Uber partner.
Me, too! there are still a few of us left here. :biggrin:
FIFY
Me, too! there are still a few of us left right here. :biggrin:

TBoned

Companies love turnover because it results in a workforce that doesn't have enough experience of a company to fight for anything better. It demonstrates to workers that they are expendable and if they don't get in line they can be easily replaced. It ensures that there are few to no senior employees that make more money. Turnover pays for itself by keeping the workforce low paid and compliant.
Never let anyone tell you turnover is bad for a company.
Customers will put up with poor customer service to save a buck. Consider how many people shop at Walmart.

I have shopped at Walmart in at least 5 states and have never experienced poor customer service.

_Tron_

I don't do delivery. I hate the concept of constantly getting out and back in to the car.

I would do delivery if the restaurant would place the order on my front seat, and if the customer came out to my car as I smilingly passed them their food through my cracked window.

I know. I know. That means I am one less person in competition with you for receiving that next request.

I am English/Italian 56%/44% mix. All peope of this racial proportion feel the same way about delivery.

Last edited:

_Tron_

Oscar Levant, before becoming an Uber driver...

1597019848917.png

Oscar Levant today...

1597019944985.png

Helpmehome

I don't do delivery. I hate the concept of constantly getting out and back in to the car.

I would do delivery if the restaurant would place the order on my front seat, and if the customer came out to my car as I smilingly passed them their food through my cracked window.

I know. I know. That means I am one less person in competition with you for receiving that next request.

I am English/Italian 56%/44% mix. All peope of this racial proportion feel the same way about delivery.

Getting in and out of the car and walking around is one of my favorite things about doing eats versus ride share. That and no as.sholes in my car.

Oscar Levant

\\

View attachment 496549

Oscar Levant today...

View attachment 496552

Actually, I'm smiling because I quit.
Post automatically merged:

The problem with people is that in about a year or less, your car's interior will be trashed.

How many times have we heard that before ?

And, the alternative is, what? Become a republican? And independent? Does it matter?

BigBadDeliveryMonster

I have shopped at Walmart in at least 5 states and have never experienced poor customer service.

Here in SoCal, long waits for customer service, difficulty trying to find an employee and then they have to find someone who works that department and then that person either doesn't know what you are talking about or just pulls up the Walmart app (I could do that). Confront a WM employee with a task that is covered by one of the many routine scripts (buying, returning, etc.) and you are fine. Go off the reservation with a specialized customer service request and be prepared for hell.

Oscar Levant

View attachment 496549

Oscar Levant today...

View attachment 496552

By the way, That is a famous photograph, it hung in the NY Museum of Art ( in a collection of other celebs), 'Oscar Levant by Richard Avedon, Beverly Hills, April 12, 1972'. Avedon said "this was the most powerful sitting he had ever experienced".

In other words, Levant, the mischievous soul he was, posed for this picture, it was not a candid.

Michael Feinstein, a fine pianist and vocalist in his own right, spoke of Levant:

Tampa Bay Hauler

Here in SoCal, long waits for customer service, difficulty trying to find an employee and then they have to find someone who works that department and then that person either doesn't know what you are talking about or just pulls up the Walmart app (I could do that). Confront a WM employee with a task that is covered by one of the many routine scripts (buying, returning, etc.) and you are fine. Go off the reservation with a specialized customer service request and be prepared for hell.
Specialty stores still exist. Buy your goods from one of those, pay the extra 30 to 50% and be a happy person. Stores like Walmart and Target are set up for you to help yourself. I like it that way.
Back in the day sales people on commission would pester the hell out of you. You couldn’t pick up a shirt to look at it without being pounced up on.
I walk around in Walmart at my leisure without being sold something or being pestered by high pressure sales staff. I then go through the checkout keeping the 30 to 50% in my pocket.
You are correct about using the app yourself. If you want some PeterPan peanut butter it will tell you the isle to find it on. Use it.

Driving With A Purpose

Former 2008 Obama campaign manager and aide David Plouffe spent several years at Uber, as well. So much for democrats looking after "the little guy".

On my 5th day awaiting my deactivation appeal results, I think I'm about done, too. I applied for DoorDash Saturday, but they're still showing my license expired, even though I renewed it on the 31st. I'll probably apply at GH, once I get my official license in the mail, but looking to make driving/delivery a part-time job again, as I look for a "regular" full-time job.

The auto insurance thing can be a real problem, so be sure that you can get a policy in your state for delivery drivers. A very large well known insurance company cancelled my policy saying that I was doing deliveries and they don't insure that in my state. Insurance for delivery drivers can be VERY expensive and does vary tremendously in terms of price and legal minimums from state to state. I'll just say that I had sticker shock when I heard the price.

Uber raised pay on multiple occasions? When? Where?

Uber has cut Uber X pay rates by an average of 60-70% in most markets since 2013.

Eats pay has been cut by an even larger amount.

The fact is drivers have been signing up in increasing numbers since 2013 DESPITE perpetual pay cuts. Uber has had tremendous success signing up replacement drivers to more than offset a massive 97% yearly turnover rate.

There was no doubt in my area that pay was increased in mid-March from what it was before due to the COVID situation. I got a lot more $10+ tips over the following four months or so than before. But that all appeared to come to an end ca. mid-July.

BigBadDeliveryMonster

The auto insurance thing can be a real problem, so be sure that you can get a policy in your state for delivery drivers. A very large well known insurance company cancelled my policy saying that I was doing deliveries and they don't insure that in my state. Insurance for delivery drivers can be VERY expensive and does vary tremendously in terms of price and legal minimums from state to state. I'll just say that I had sticker shock when I heard the price.

If you get a commercial policy, yeah that's gonna cost you. What you want is a personal policy with rideshare coverage. Some companies will add commercial use to your personal policy for a small amount. What you don't want is a full commercial policy. Of course unless that's all you can get in your state. I am lucky in CA, Esurance offers rideshare coverage for personal policies and for me it was like $21/mo extra or something like that.

Ms. Mercenary

If you get a commercial policy, yeah that's gonna cost you. What you want is a personal policy with rideshare coverage. Some companies will add commercial use to your personal policy for a small amount. What you don't want is a full commercial policy. Of course unless that's all you can get in your state. I am lucky in CA, Esurance offers rideshare coverage for personal policies and for me it was like $21/mo extra or something like that.
Not many choices in NJ, and who knows if UE will stick with me or even cover basic stuff. Very worried about the insurance issue.

Is it doable to stay with my current insurance while I decide?