Bye bye self driving cars

UberIsAllFubared

With the death of ONE person who apparently was watching a movie while his Tesla was driving, law makers are already looking to regulate this industry. Its not gonna happen in our life times. I am not even gonna say whether or not its safer, cause it very well may be, but in the perception of most people, its not.

MattyMikey

If that's true that makes most people stupid. It is safer, it will only get safer. Humans drive like shit. Not hard to make computers drive better than most human drivers.

Undermensch

Sorry bro, nothing's going to stop this freight train.

Sure, there might be some holdouts similar to bible belt states refusing to teach evolution, but it's going to happen everywhere else very soon regardless of the backwards holdouts.

UberIsAllFubared

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its not gonna happen in our life time. California has already said they will mandate by law that there has to always be a driver there that can take over the car... And unless every car is driverless, which will never happen, everyone will take advantage of a driverless car, just like they take advantage of the slow moving asian woman.

Oscar Levant

With the death of ONE person who apparently was watching a movie while his Tesla was driving, law makers are already looking to regulate this industry. Its not gonna happen in our life times. I am not even gonna say whether or not its safer, cause it very well may be, but in the perception of most people, its not.
Here's the argument that pro-SDC'ers miss:

They can seem to be safe, but even if they got a million lines of code in them machines,
there will always be something new that programmer's can't foresee, and that one thing can kill you.

I can live with an injury if it's my fault, but if it's not my fault, that injury's really a b i t c h.

Mountainsoloist

They're still coming. This death was unfortunate, as are the many which come from non driver assisted vehicles. It should be noted that the autopilot feature does not make the car autonomous or driverless. At this point it is an extremely advanced cruise control, and an active driver is still required. It is certainly going to be a precursor to the inevitable driverless car technology but it is still under development.

This event is not going to derail the development of autonomous cars completely. Many states will require human drivers long after the vehicles on the market are capable of handling all driving tasks independently, but they will take hold. We will eventually entrust our lives to self driving cars on a regular basis with the same trust we give the automakers, the other drivers, the roads, and ourselves behind the wheel of these machines.

Undermensch

Here's the argument that pro-SDC'ers miss:

They can seem to be safe, but even if they got a million lines of code in them machines,
there will always be something new that programmer's can't foresee, and that one thing can kill you.

I can live with an injury if it's my fault, but if it's not my fault, that injury's really a b i t c h.
By that rationale, no one would ride escalators...

Have you seen those videos? Horrifying when there is an accident. The frequency of escalator accidents (which almost always result in death or dismemberment) is about the same as you can expect from self driving cars (not Tesla's autopilot, I'm talking about full Level 4 self driving for an entire trip handling all safety-critical driving functions).

Definition of the levels here: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/autonomous-driving-levels-0-to-5-understanding-the-differences/

ATX 22

SDC's are at least 10-15 years out, according to the engineer I had a lengthy discussion with during SXSW. Humans drive millions of miles per year, and per capita, have relatively few deaths per mile. The technology won't work properly unless all of the human drivers are removed, and the cars can communicate with each other. Similar to the scenes in Minority Report, where the cars move like schools of fish.
He also indicated that people like to drive, and that will be a major factor in whether or not self driving technology ever makes it to full scale use in cars. Trains and other modes of transport, especially freight transport will likely be the first automated vehicles, according to him.

Mountainsoloist

SDC's are at least 10-15 years out, according to the engineer I had a lengthy discussion with during SXSW. Humans drive millions of miles per year, and per capita, have relatively few deaths per mile. The technology won't work properly unless all of the human drivers are removed, and the cars can communicate with each other. Similar to the scenes in Minority Report, where the cars move like schools of fish.
He also indicated that people like to drive, and that will be a major factor in whether or not self driving technology ever makes it to full scale use in cars. Trains and other modes of transport, especially freight transport will likely be the first automated vehicles, according to him.
These are great points. The autonomous cars must operate on the roadways with human drivers. While I firmly believe that most cars on the road will have the capability of driverless operation in the future I know there will be many holdouts driving themselves (humans).

I don't believe that full scale adoption of this technology requires all vehicles on the road to be autonomous. This constraint won't stop their development either. The engineers will find ingenious ways to implement driverless capabilities without all cars running them.

Oscar Levant

By that rationale, no one would ride escalators...

Have you seen those videos? Horrifying when there is an accident. The frequency of escalator accidents (which almost always result in death or dismemberment) is about the same as you can expect from self driving cars (not Tesla's autopilot, I'm talking about full Level 4 self driving for an entire trip handling all safety-critical driving functions).

Definition of the levels here: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/autonomous-driving-levels-0-to-5-understanding-the-differences/
So you are equating riding in an elevator where there is no reasonable alternative to rise 40 flights in a building on par with riding in a random environment with no driver at the helm?

For cars to be the equivalent, you would have to remove randomity in the self driving car Universe comparable to that of the elevator universe. In other words, in that comparison all cars would need to be self-driving cars , all cars would need to be computer speaking to each other, and all cars would need to be communicating with the road and traffic lights etcetera --until then the comparison does not work.

Last edited:

DriverX

Well before the Tesla tech will ever work a complete remodel of all the US roadways will need to occur first. good luck with that.

I doubt whatever google comes up with in 10 years will be able to negotiate reliably when the road ways fail to offer any good data for them to make safe and quick decisions. THis will result in stranded vehicles jamming up roadways. Some of the dirt road exits and alleys and blocked streets or huge pot holes I have to drive around will always present navigation issues to non-humans.

We are able to risk manage in a way that computers can't in order to get around a roadblock or slow down for a big dip. Do Teslas even see those huge speed bumps or speed dips designed to slow drivers. If your traveling at the speed limit those things will take out your suspension and bottom you out smashing up your oil pan or @@@@@@. Does Tesla detect them and slow down to well below the speed limit? or does it maintain the speed its set to?

Theres a million things humans are doing while driving that the tech has just begun to tackle. It will happen eventually but the vehicles will be slowly integrated with their own lanes and only allowed to drive themselves in controlled environments, like ffrom the time you enter the freeway until you exit. The HOV lanes will be converted to accommodate the developing tech and in another century driven vehicles will have faded away or only be seen and used in special events like the Indy 500.

SumGuy

When airbags were first being put in cars, they were actually killing people as well, even to this day they can cause more injuries and death then the car accident itself. Now, most cars have multiple airbags.

ptuberx

Autonomous driving will not be able to make instant decisions that a human can based on judgment. What if a new, small sinkhole has opened up in front of you on a road, or a brand new line of road construction detours have been put in place around blind corners in heavily populated areas where there is heavy vehicle and pedestrian traffic? The vehicle could interpret this a LOT of different ways.

How would a car deal with a DUI checkpoint? Unless a cop stands in front of the car, it won't stop, and if the car is traveling at a decent speed arriving at the checkpoint with no traffic, do you want to be the guy that walks out in front of the car to stop it, and hope that it sees you and doesn't plow right over you?

What if a hail storm has just went through over a highway and suddenly the road is covered in ice on a warm day, now you have a vehicle going 65+ mph into a hazardous condition that it cannot "see" until after it starts to lose control but it doesn't know why and will most definitely over-correct itself while out of control.

There are just wayyyy too many factors involved for me to ever trust it. The human brain functions at a speed of over 16 terahertz with a kind of bandwidth and intelligence that a computer has yet to accomplish.

Without a complete, new, dedicated, and isolated roadway infrastructure, this will never work, and there would probably always stoll be SNAFU's, some small, some major.

That and more, I also don't want my life to be controlled by "big brother." At some point, there needs to be a limit.

UberIsAllFubared

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just imagine this ONE scenario, driverless car (you will be able to spot them a million miles away), puts its blinker on to change lanes on the freeway to merge onto another freeway. You speed up because no way in hell you want to get behind slow moving driverless car, he then slows down, but no one will let him in the lane as no one wants to get behind slow ass driverless car. Driverless car runs out of time and can't make the freeway split.