Buying cheap car to plate and rent..

Inshur

What’s the most reliable and cheapest vehicle to acquire, maintain and service?

• 2013-2016 Ford Fusion

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • 2013-2016 Toyota Camry

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • 2013-2016 Nissan Altima

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • 2013-2016 Honda Accord

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

Danimal1027

I’m looking to start purchasing cheap and possibly salvaged cars from the auction to rebuild and plate. Once DMV and TLC worthy, I’m planning on renting the vehicles out and am looking for guidance.

Q - what is the oldest model year that will satisfy both TLC and Uber requirements? I recall seeing uber only accepts X vehicles 7 years or newer in NY but now it says 2006 on their info site..

Q - some people who rent TLC vehicles make you run your revenue through them and you are only paid weekly, after your rent is paid in full.. how do you get this service for your small fleet? Is there a fee? Any resources out there available on this topic?

Q - is there anyone here who operates a successful small fleet who would be willing to meet for a lunch or a consulting fee to bounce a few ideas off of?

I realize this forum probably has a section devoted to this and I’d appreciate any links

Thank you everyone

Rick N.

I’m looking to start purchasing cheap and possibly salvaged cars from the auction to rebuild and plate. Once DMV and TLC worthy, I’m planning on renting the vehicles out and am looking for guidance.

Q - what is the oldest model year that will satisfy both TLC and Uber requirements? I recall seeing uber only accepts X vehicles 7 years or newer in NY but now it says 2006 on their info site..

Q - some people who rent TLC vehicles make you run your revenue through them and you are only paid weekly, after your rent is paid in full.. how do you get this service for your small fleet? Is there a fee? Any resources out there available on this topic?

Q - is there anyone here who operates a successful small fleet who would be willing to meet for a lunch or a consulting fee to bounce a few ideas off of?

I realize this forum probably has a section devoted to this and I’d appreciate any links

Thank you everyone
I'm not %100 sure, but I don't think tlc accepts salvaged cars.

frso

Thank you everyone
Ive probably written this response already, but I’ll do it again. Buy an old Lincoln town car 2011+ These cars are cheap, cause no one is buying them anymore, and they don’t make them. Plus maintenance is cheap too, oil change was only $20 for mine. Also these cars where made for the livery business specifically so they last forever (mine 300k+ miles) . Now you won’t be able to rent them for much but try $380 a week, or try doing$400. There will always be someone willing to rent your car. As long as TLC keeps giving out a license to anyone, you’ll be in business.

Danimal1027

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes they accept salvage cars
Thank you! Is there a process or does the title need to be rebuilt or anything?

I'm not %100 sure, but I don't think tlc accepts salvaged cars.
Do u think they would they accept rebuilt titles??

Ive probably written this response already, but I’ll do it again. Buy an old Lincoln town car 2011+ These cars are cheap, cause no one is buying them anymore, and they don’t make them. Plus maintenance is cheap too, oil change was only $20 for mine. Also these cars where made for the livery business specifically so they last forever (mine 300k+ miles) . Now you won’t be able to rent them for much but try $380 a week, or try doing$400. There will always be someone willing to rent your car. As long as TLC keeps giving out a license to anyone, you’ll be in business.
Also they must qualify for Uber black? And ur referring to the sedan not the newer tow car suv right? Any recommendations on where to buy the cheapest? Thanks for your response!

SpeedracerX

Thank you! Is there a process or does the title need to be rebuilt or anything?

Do u think they would they accept rebuilt titles??

Also they must qualify for Uber black? And ur referring to the sedan not the newer tow car suv right? Any recommendations on where to buy the cheapest? Thanks for your response!

There’s no such thing as Uber Black

The small fleet to rent business was good idea in 2014 not now ....

Save your money ....

Danimal1027

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There’s no such thing as Uber Black

The small fleet to rent business was good idea in 2014 not now ....

Save your money ....
If you buy a vehicle cash and the average insurance is maybe $4-500/month, and you receive on average anywhere from even $1200-1700/month it seems like a decent business. I’m interested in why u disagree. My experience is very limited and I really love to hear your position. Thanks brother

unitxero

UBER Emp #2266971
I'll tell you right now why its a bad business. Because only 4% of Uber drivers remain after their first year. You're going to have to be constantly looking for renters, you're also going to be competing with owner operators that are trying to rent their car so they can pay the car off and not be in debt.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/23/u...p-in-new-driver-retention-this-year-apptopia/

You're competing with American Lease etc, who are inside the falchi building, you can't compete with that sort of access that is monopoly level of access, you're going to have to find a centralized area to service your vehicles as well. Once these cars start hitting 50k miles, you're going to be hitting suspension change time, tires go out of service during this mileage, its up to you of course, these are just the negatives. The positives you might consider outweighing the cons.

theitalian

If you buy a vehicle cash and the average insurance is maybe $4-500/month, and you receive on average anywhere from even $1200-1700/month it seems like a decent business. I’m interested in why u disagree. My experience is very limited and I really love to hear your position. Thanks brother
You have to calculate insurance, maintenance and the fact that many Uber drivers those days are not like in the past. They don't use to drive in the city and your car will get a lot of ticket and after you have to argue with them. Plus I know that some company start to offer discount on their fleet because they are not able to fill their cars. Anyway good luck.

Alone44

I think camry is the best the part are very cheap. But put in your mind that's this business may not last longer there is a lot of drivers with their own cars. Plus they will put tolls on the city soon and that will lower the business only via will be busy. Remember the most important thing is the gas prices will be higher in the next spring. They will raise the prices. So wherever who's renting a car will return it and do yellow or just look for another job. What you want to do is a good idea but I would wait to see how tolls and gas prices will affect the business. Good luck!

Last edited:

YouBeer

I think camry is the best the part are very cheap. But put in your mind that's this business may not last longer there is a lot of drivers with their own cars. Plus they will put tools on the city soon and that will lower the business only via will be busy. Remember the most important thing is the gas prices will be higher in the next spring. They will raise the prices. So wherever who's renting a car will return it and do yellow or just look for another job. What you want to do is a good idea but I would wait to see how tools and gas prices will affect the business. Good luck!
Tools?

Vishnu643

I think camry is the best the part are very cheap. But put in your mind that's this business may not last longer there is a lot of drivers with their own cars. Plus they will put tolls on the city soon and that will lower the business only via will be busy. Remember the most important thing is the gas prices will be higher in the next spring. They will raise the prices. So wherever who's renting a car will return it and do yellow or just look for another job. What you want to do is a good idea but I would wait to see how tolls and gas prices will affect the business. Good luck!
What makes you think via will take over?

FuberNYC

This seems to be one of those typical 'Uber drivers used to make $2000 a week' wtf happened???
Well it's 2018 and not 2015 anymore! Meaning, you are just a few years late

UberPotomac

Uber do not accept rebuild or salvage cars for use.
In DC Area you can rent a car for X For 200 a week or less.
Car with livery tags for UBER BLACK are around 400 but the requirements are much stricter. 8 years and older , commercial insurance and driver had to pass background check and commercial license.
Do not know many UBER X drivers renting a car for someone else.
Most use MAVEN GIG , DRIVEWHIP or FAIR.
We are in 2019. UBER DRIVERS Golden times are gone.

neteX

Ill see you a 2017 Toyota camry, 42k miles. Always had 93 in it.
Maintained in Toyota dealership only.
HMU.
Idk if i can sell it to you with the plates though, if I can would be even easier.

Inshur New York