Buying a Chevy Bolt..1,600 Mile Trip.

dauction

I was looking at 2 similar Chevy Bolts. One in Minneapolis (near where I live ) and one in Arizona.

Both 51K miles

The one in Arizona is almost 2k less AND it won't have any rust on the underbody, suspension like the Minnesota one would.

Flight ticket is $165

Then I will drive back to Minnesota 1,600 miles, looks like 8 Stops (probably 45 minutes each) to recharge.

238 Mile Range (3 years old so lets sat 228 Mile range.. Perfect for doing Uber /Lyft in my City. I drive roughly 150-175 each day not so perfect for a 1,600-mile trip!

I'll pop in and update the trip ... Looks like I'll head down to pick it up on Sat

I just couldn't shake the EV bug. Really wanted the Tesla but this will make more practical (financial sense) at this point. I can always trade-in on a good used Tesla in later as prices fall.

25rides7daysaweek

I was looking at 2 similar Chevy Bolts. One in Minneapolis (near where I live ) and one in Arizona.

Both 51K miles

The one in Arizona is almost 2k less AND it won't have any rust on the underbody, suspension like the Minnesota one would.

Flight ticket is $165

Then I will drive back to Minnesota 1,600 miles, looks like 8 Stops (probably 45 minutes each) to recharge.

238 Mile Range (3 years old so lets sat 228 Mile range.. Perfect for doing Uber /Lyft in my City. I drive roughly 150-175 each day not so perfect for a 1,600-mile trip!

I'll pop in and update the trip ... Looks like I'll head down to pick it up on Sat

I just couldn't shake the EV bug. Really wanted the Tesla but this will make more practical (financial sense) at this point. I can always trade-in on a good used Tesla in later as prices fall.
You should consider having someone trailer bring it back to you...

The Gift of Fish

Both 51K miles

Flight ticket is $165

Risky. Even the local Reverend turns into a consummate liar when trying to sell a car in a private sale. And if it's being sold by a used car dealer, even worse. I wouldn't travel 1600 miles to buy a car that I'd only seen in photos. The chance of getting caught out and the car turning out to be a POS / waste of time is too high. I would travel 200 miles maximum to go and see a vehicle.

dauction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You should consider having someone trailer bring it back to you...
Morning 25rides.... I am actually looking at transport bids..least expensive is $1,200 at this point ...

If I get one for $800 range then I'll do that instead. If Not I'll just go pick it up

Part of me thinks it would be a great trip and the other part is going 3 days ..really you want to drive 3 days when you need to recharge every 200 miles lol ..
Post automatically merged:

Risky. Even the local Reverend turns into a consummate liar when trying to sell a car in a private sale. And if it's being sold by a used car dealer, even worse. I wouldn't travel 1600 miles to buy a car that I'd only seen in photos. The chance of getting caught out and the car turning out to be a POS / waste of time is too high. I would travel 200 miles maximum to go and see a vehicle.
It's a well know dealer..I will obviously test drive it before I sign. I just put a refundable hold deposit on it

_Tron_

I drive a Bolt for rideshare and has worked out well. More than well.

The cars you're looking at have just come off their 45K bumper to bumper warranty, but still are under warranty for many parts. In choosing between the two, why not have a look a the nearby car? Put it on the rack and see if it has accumulated rust. Much (but not all) of the underbody has a large metal shield protecting it. If the Minneapolis car passes muster you can show them the price of the Arizona car and possibly get them to price match. There are a LOT of Bolts coming off lease right now, and the value is dropping due to new models being around the corner. I suspect it is a buyers market.

If you do end up driving the Arizona car home the key is to plan your trip according to what [working] LEVEL 3 chargers are on the route! Forget Level 2 or you will be too old to drive by the time you get back. Driving at 55-66 will extend your range to 250 or more. Huge reduction in range as you exceed those speeds. Don't assume all chargers will be working and available. EVGO and Electrify America are pretty reliable in California.

Good luck. The Bolt is a great car.

25rides7daysaweek

Morning 25rides.... I am actually looking at transport bids..least expensive is $1,200 at this point ...

If I get one for $800 range then I'll do that instead. If Not I'll just go pick it up

Part of me thinks it would be a great trip and the other part is going 3 days ..really you want to drive 3 days when you need to recharge every 200 miles lol ..

It's a well know dealer..I will obviously test drive it before I sign. I just put a refundable hold deposit on it
Keep trying to get someone to haul it.
That sounds like a good car to drive with but a not so good for cross country.
Plus the outlets could be full or you might not get the range. Seems to me like there are an awful lot of variables
8 45 minute stops every 200 miles sounds like hell to me.
Start adding up the pain in the ass
with what could go wrong and
you might find getting it shipped
might be a better deal.
In either case good luck!
Ps post us a picture of it 😀

_Tron_

That is my car's color. The remarks you will get from passengers will be surprise at how roomy the car is on the inside compared to the outside. Forgive me for saying this but I have NEVER been defeated in terms of loading up a pax's luggage and stuff. Always have found a way to fit in, including skis and golf clubs.

I too was surprised about the handling. Between that and the torque and the wheelbase length you can zip around doing rideshare in a whole brand new way. Very fun to drive.

kingcorey321

can you use that bolt for uber ? Its about the same as a chevy sonic . not allowed in my area.
why not look into the new hyundai electric ? its a nice bigger car great looks and its 150 mpg .

dauction

I drive a Bolt for rideshare and has worked out well. More than well.

The cars you're looking at have just come off their 45K bumper to bumper warranty, but still are under warranty for many parts. In choosing between the two, why not have a look a the nearby car? Put it on the rack and see if it has accumulated rust. Much (but not all) of the underbody has a large metal shield protecting it. If the Minneapolis car passes muster you can show them the price of the Arizona car and possibly get them to price match. There are a LOT of Bolts coming off lease right now, and the value is dropping due to new models being around the corner. I suspect it is a buyers market.

If you do end up driving the Arizona car home the key is to plan your trip according to what [working] LEVEL 3 chargers are on the route! Driving at 55-66 will extend your range to 250 or more. Huge reduction in range as you exceed those speeds.

Good luck. The Bolt is a great car.
Yep this one is off-lease.. the 36 month leases. 1 owner. The local one is a no-haggle no offer ..sticker price. I know in 4 months will be lower but that's ok . Everything will be lower in 4 months.

definitely buyers market
That is my car's color. The remarks you will get from passengers will be surprise at how roomy the car is on the inside compared to the outside. Forgive me for saying this but I have NEVER been defeated in terms of loading up a pax's luggage and stuff. Always have found a way to fit in, including skis and golf clubs.

I too was surprised about the handling. Between that and the torque and the wheelbase length you can zip around doing rideshare in a whole brand new way. Very fun to drive.
seating is really good.. first thing I did when Sales brought the key was to hop in the backseat..(the look on the salesmans face was funny)

That was a large reason why I am going with it.. you open down and sit down..in my Lincoln you open down and have to slide down into it ..and push yourself UP out of it

can you use that bolt for uber ? Its about the same as a chevy sonic . not allowed in my area.
why not look into the new hyundai electric ? its a nice bigger car great looks and its 150 mpg .
Oh yeah not a problem

dauction

Have you figured a way to push UBer on your phone to the Cars screen?

_Tron_

Have you figured a way to push UBer on your phone to the Cars screen?
No. Andoid auto may do it though. I just don't bother with it. Digital connectivity is the weak link in the car though. Half the people who drive Bolts can't get their phone paired reliably (me being one of them). I ended up disabling everything and keep the phone 100% standalone because goofy things would happen where the turn by turn nav instructions from the phone would play on the car's speakers.

OK. All model years 17-19 are basically the same. Once exception is the front seats on the 2017's and 2018's. Not enough padding. Not to plant a seed, but they got a lot of criticism and Chevy upgrade them with some padding and what not. My 2019 has the upgraded seats. I made the dealer lend me the car for the whole day (800 miles) to confirm the seats did not drive me crazy. You may want to drive one of the cars a bit to see if the seat is comfortable enough for you.

Last edited: