Buying a car out of New York state

Inshur

Hairytee

Hi everyone-
I am purchasing a vehicle out of state (found a great car on Autotrader...much cheaper). I currently own a TLC plated vehicle and will trade in the car and transfer the plates. To get the car off the lot, I will get temporary plates and personal insurance and drive it back to NYC.

Once I purchase the vehicle, I am told the next step is to go to the DMV and pay the NYS sales tax and then go to Lone Star (my TLC car insurance provider) with the proof of Sales Tax payment and they will transfer my insurance to the new car. At that point I can submit the application to the TLC for the transfer of my TLC plates.

Does anyone have past experience in doing this that can verify the steps I need to take? I have searched the forum and can't find specific information.

One other question...since I am financing the car, when I go to the DMV to pay the Sales Tax, does the DMV require me to provide the title (will take 4-6 weeks to receive) or will they accept the Bill of Sale?

I appreciate any help and insight you can provide.

pinnacle

You go to DMV and pay sales tax , or yor dealer can do that for you and give you temporary registration . you need to get a regular insurance first and once you register it you can cancel it , they won't give you registration sticker and plates without insurance , and then you need to do NYS inspection , before you head to TLC.

Hairytee

You go to DMV and pay sales tax , or yor dealer can do that for you and give you temporary registration . you need to get a regular insurance first and once you register it you can cancel it , they won't give you registration sticker and plates without insurance , and then you need to do NYS inspection , before you head to TLC.
Thanks. Do you know if the DMV will require the title in order to pay the sales tax or can I submit the bill of sale? Trying to determine if it I have to wait 4-6 weeks for the title before I can transfer the TLC plates.

Once the sales tax is paid, what is the next step?

1. Does the DMV then give me the NYS registration with my TLC plates listed on it;
2. I transfer my Lone Star commercial insurance to the new car;
3. I get the NYS inspection;
4. Set up TLC appointment to submit TLC plate transfer application
5. Once approved, then get the TLC inspection
6. Add the new car to my Uber account

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to figure the entire process and how long it will take.

Inshur New York