• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Buy GPS -- Yes or No

Should I buy a GPS? Would it make the job easier? (I have a new i-Phone 6+)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RWF

I am ok w/ technology. I am thinking the job would be easier having a separate GPS unit. What do you think--should I buy one? (I already have a new i-Phone 6+.) My wife and I plan to get a new GPS eventually because I want a 7 inch screen. I have not started driving yet and I am confused about the Uber app.

LAuberX

Get waze app on your ifone

Mount your phone in line of sight.

It is Free plus Uber partner app loads address if pax enters it

Last edited:

KGB7

For same price, you better off buying a used mini i-tablet and using that instead.

UberXTampa

Buy an iPad mini 3 - fingerprint on/off makes it uniquely better than any other tablet.
Mount it at same level with your dashboard somewhere and use it for navigation/uber/Lyft/free time entertainment etc... Should have its own SIM card and you can deduct it during tax time.
Your cell phone should be used for talk/text. This is my setup and I like its convenience and flexibility.

If you must buy another gadget, make sure it us a dash cam before you clutter the car with. GPS. If you must buy a GPS, I think Garmin has a GPS with dash cam.

JMBF831

I don't get why people would want to use a separate GPS unit instead of their smart phones - what am I missing? And I actually prefer Google maps to Waze. Maybe because I'm just more used to it, but what benefits do Waze provide over Google maps? Or is it mostly just preference?

Renaldow

I've got a Garmin GPS that I use instead of what's on the phone. I prefer it. I've had better experience with it. I don't claim to be an expert on GPS or mapping programs, but Google Maps and Apple Maps have both tried to take me across a new pedestrian bridge and taken me for some other crazy rides through the hills of Portland. Garmin, not so much. I also like the bigger screen and additional info I get from it that is not so much on the phone. I do have to enter addresses manually, which takes all of 10 seconds and I do it while greeting the pax.

Call me old fashioned, but I've found that a device that does 1000 things doesn't do them as well as a device that does 1 thing.

JMBF831

The GPS usually is a pain to enter an address into. Another perk of using your smart phone...?

Eat.Sleep.Drive

Call me old fashioned, but I've found that a device that does 1000 things doesn't do them as well as a device that does 1 thing.
I still ve a Garmin i bought first thing when I started driving 4yrs ago. Things I like about it includes knowing what the speed limit is on any road i'm on, which in my book makes it worth every penny. Never have gotten pulled over by a City Cop; only by LAX police for other silly stuff. If you are an occasional driver though, I guess your phone may work just fine.

anOzzieUber

Better use waze/Google maps on your iPhone or a separate secondary device. Unless of course you do not have unlimited data
Unless I'm missing something, GPS apps on smart phones don't use data. They make use of the GPS function of the phone - no data required.

For the record, when I was still driving with Uber, I found the Uber App to be more than sufficient - but I also have 20+ years of local driving knowledge so I knew when the app was trying to make me do something stupid (turn right when you can't turn right etc...)

poopy

Yes,
Get a standalone GPS.

Also, get a curved LCD flat screen TV, a Ms pac-Man, and a Sybian, for your future pax.
At .75¢ a mile you can throw away the budget and prepare for luxury.

Glad you did your homework on the forums.

Here's to a prosperous 2016 and beyond!

<3

phillipzx3

Unless I'm missing something, GPS apps on smart phones don't use data. They make use of the GPS function of the phone - no data required.

For the record, when I was still driving with Uber, I found the Uber App to be more than sufficient - but I also have 20+ years of local driving knowledge so I knew when the app was trying to make me do something stupid (turn right when you can't turn right etc...)
Smartphones don't have the maps stored in memory unless you "cache" an area. I use Google navigator. It's more reliable, and I don't have to carry around more stuff.

Renaldow,

If you had Google Maps try to route you over the new bridge, report it to Google. Then again, if you knew Portland, you would need a GPS to show you how to cross the river. ;-)

UberXTampa

Smartphones don't have the maps stored in memory unless you "cache" an area. I use Google navigator. It's more reliable, and I don't have to carry around more stuff.

Renaldow,

If you had Google Maps try to route you over the new bridge, report it to Google. Then again, if you knew Portland, you would need a GPS to show you how to cross the river. ;-)
One exception to this is the Garmin SmartPhone. It has the Navigation built in. Even if there is no reception, it still provides GPS function and doesn;t rely on data download.

painfreepc

I've got a Garmin GPS that I use instead of what's on the phone. I prefer it. I've had better experience with it. I don't claim to be an expert on GPS or mapping programs, but Google Maps and Apple Maps have both tried to take me across a new pedestrian bridge and taken me for some other crazy rides through the hills of Portland. Garmin, not so much. I also like the bigger screen and additional info I get from it that is not so much on the phone. I do have to enter addresses manually, which takes all of 10 seconds and I do it while greeting the pax.

How do you enter addresses manually as you are greeting the passenger(s),
As you don't know where you are going til you start trip,
and you should not be starting trip until you are done greeting the passenger(s)
many times, smart remarks and/or disrespect happen right as passenger(s) get in car,
and you have already started the trip, now what do you do?, nothing you can do but take the rating hit.. Uber On

Note, i see uber drivers doing this all the time when i am at the hot pick-up spots,
passerger(s) not even touched the car door and driver is starting the trip, thats just plain stupid.

Last edited:

UberXTampa

Many times i ask rider to please enter the destination while i keep driving. Multiple pickup/drop off situations get handled real well using the app for navigation.

Renaldow

How do you enter addresses manually as you are greeting the passenger(s),
As you don't know where you are going til you start trip,
and you should not be starting trip until you are done greeting the passenger(s)
many times, smart remarks and/or disrespect happen right as passenger(s) get in car,
and you have already started the trip, now what do you do?, nothing you can do but take the rating hit.. Uber On
When people are getting into my car and I have verified they are the pax, the trip has started. I've said hello how are you and then say something like, so are we still going 110 SE 83rd? as I'm typing it into the Garmin. It's all pretty simple. Let me know if you'd like any further instruction.

I'm glad your "shoulds" work for you. Don't expect me or other drivers to the same as you. I start when someone gets in, I end when I'm free to drive away. If you need a few moments to suss out a passenger and decide that you are afraid to take them some place, by all means do that. Do whatever is safe and works for you. If you are offended by smart comments and expect strangers to respect you, working with the public may not be for you. If you are afraid of ratings, again, you may wish to spend time elsewhere.

painfreepc

When people are getting into my car and I have verified they are the pax, the trip has started. I've said hello how are you and then say something like, so are we still going 110 SE 83rd? as I'm typing it into the Garmin. It's all pretty simple. Let me know if you'd like any further instruction.

I'm glad your "shoulds" work for you. Don't expect me or other drivers to the same as you. I start when someone gets in, I end when I'm free to drive away. If you need a few moments to suss out a passenger and decide that you are afraid to take them some place, by all means do that. Do whatever is safe and works for you. If you are offended by smart comments and expect strangers to respect you, working with the public may not be for you. If you are afraid of ratings, again, you may wish to spend time elsewhere.
if you think i am some damn ass that just downloaded an app, and now think i am a transportation expert, you are very much mistaken,

been dealing with the public for for more than for 20+ years, i was a shipping clerk for an APL warehouse before driving taxi, also done over the phone CSR for a VPS company, so i know how to deal with the public,

if someone gets in your car and the first thing said is "what the hell taken you so long, the app said 8 mins, 10 mins a go"
or "why are you across the the street" if i hear any smart remarks or disrespect to me and my car, you get the boot,

If you wish to start moving down the street with unknown people in your back seat before you get a feel that all is good, that's your business.

Please note, Renaldow comment makes my point, all renaldow knows is pax name and trip has started before pax is even in car, renaldow has no ideal who eles is coming to car or how many or what request the pax may have.

Last edited: