Busted?

Kerinna

Author
Ok, so my funniest story is the night I picked up a couple of guys at about 3am next to a bank. They had just gotten money out of a machine that was located on a dark, quiet side street. We said our hello's and they got into the back seat. Then three cop cars descended on us with spot lights glaring into our eyes! I sat there stunned, looking at the closest cop and thinking, "Oh no, I'm on the wrong side of the street"!

The officer was glaring at me as I rolled down the front passenger window. He grumbled, "What are you doing"? I wasn't sure what he wanted me to say. I replied sheepishly, "Driving for Uber." I looked at my Trade Dress, then he looked at it too. That seemed to satisfy him. He switched his light to the guys in the back. "Have you been drinking," he accused. One of them answered, "Yes, officer... That's why we called an Uber." The officer looked frustrated and the three of them started to move away. I asked, "Excuse me, can I go now"? He gave me a short, "Yeah," and I picked my way through the three patrol cars.

I sure was glad I didn't get a ticket for being on the wrong side of the street!

RamzFanz

I hate cops with attitudes, but hey, no ticket.

Why in the world would he ask if the pax had been drinking?

Maybe they were looking for someone on a complaint.

Kerinna

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know, but the three of us sure had a good laugh about it afterwards. :smiles:

Kerinna

Author
Oh, yeah, he could have suspected that I was drinking too. I kind of felt it had something to do with the bank though. Like they were looking to catch way bigger fish than us, and then just groping for something when we turned out to be nothing. I gotta say though, I respect police officers and the difficult job they have of protecting citizens. I'm sure they had a good reason for confronting us. It just turned out kind of funny. :smiles:

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Oh, yeah, he could have suspected that I was drinking too. I kind of felt it had something to do with the bank though. Like they were looking to catch way bigger fish then us, and then just groping for something when we turned out to be nothing. I gotta say though, I respect police officers and the difficult job they have of protecting citizens. I'm sure they had a good reason for confronting us. It just turned out kind of funny. :smiles:
I respect them too, but some of them have real power complexes.

I too had a run in with a cop recently and the pax and I laughed it off at the time, but it really pissed me off the more I thought about it. There's no reason to treat anyone the way he did, especially when he was dead wrong.

https://uberpeople.net/threads/should-i-report-this-cop.59560/

Kerinna

Author
I agree, there's always some bad people in any profession. With the stress that police officers have to endure, I'm sure more than an average number of them go bad.

RamzFanz

I agree, there's always some bad people in any profession. With the stress that police officers have to endure, I'm sure more than an average number of them go bad.
When I was 17, A friend and I were at a payphone waiting for a cab as we had missed the last bus. Apparently, someone had broken the glass window on a bank in a nearby strip mall. All of the sudden, 15 cop cars come rolling up on us. Guns drawn, thrown to the ground, handcuffed and placed face first on a hot cop car hood and feet kicked out spread eagle.

One cop tired of us not answering them after we told them several times we had no idea what they were talking about. He would ask an incriminating question, we would remain silent, and he would kick us from behind between our legs. He didn't know my aunt was a lawyer in the DA's office and we walked with no record of the incident and an apology for the "mistake", but no charges against the cop. Today, I would own that bastard.

I totally get how people end up in that situation and have no recourse. If it weren't for my aunt, I could have been charged with something like resisting arrest with my word against 20 cops. Apparently, my aunt thought it was a win in this desperately racist department to walk me out without charges.

I ended up calling the cops for a neighbor years later and one of the cops that showed was there that night and told me he was so sorry for what happened, he was a rookie at the time, and the offender got caught later in a scam and went to prison.

Still, I've known many cops and they were all pretty solid people.

The best part of my experience is it gets me out of jury duty every time.

Has anyone here ever had a runin with the police?

Hand shoots up...30 seconds into the story...Thanks, you're dismissed.

Last edited:
He probably just felt like arresting someone and got all disappointed when everything check out.

When you give people almost unchecked authority the majority of the people in that position are going to get big heads from all that power, some more than others.

Last edited:

Kerinna

Author
OMG, what a terrible thing to happen! And only 17 years old? I think most people would end up hating all police officers after an incident like that. You've handled it very well.

grayspinner

Earlier (3am), I changed lanes without using my signal - there was a cop behind me & he immediately pulled me over. I'm getting out my license & registration and the cop says 'where are you coming from' - I said, well, I drive for lyft & I've just picked him up (I gesture to my pax) and I'm driving him home. By the time I got halfway through my sentence, the cop was giving me my stuff back and turning away. As he turns he said 'just checking to see if you'd been drinking'

My pax was all 'wow, I'm so glad I called lyft, he would have pulled me over & I'd have been busted' I was glad the pax felt that way. I was a little annoyed to be pulled over for nothing

Kerinna

Author
Good for you! We're really making a difference out there keeping drunk drivers off the road. :smiles: I'm so glad you didn't get a ticket for such a minor offense. And I sure hope your pax tipped you!

PTUber

Earlier (3am), I changed lanes without using my signal - there was a cop behind me & he immediately pulled me over. I'm getting out my license & registration and the cop says 'where are you coming from' - I said, well, I drive for lyft & I've just picked him up (I gesture to my pax) and I'm driving him home. By the time I got halfway through my sentence, the cop was giving me my stuff back and turning away. As he turns he said 'just checking to see if you'd been drinking'

My pax was all 'wow, I'm so glad I called lyft, he would have pulled me over & I'd have been busted' I was glad the pax felt that way. I was a little annoyed to be pulled over for nothing
Well you weren't pulled over for nothing you didn't use your turn signal. At that hour that is one of the signs they look for a drunk driver.

grayspinner

Well you weren't pulled over for nothing you didn't use your turn signal. At that hour that is one of the signs they look for a drunk driver.
Well yes I do realize that - however turn signal usage around here is extremely uncommon. The cop simply used it as an excuse to pull me. The sign that someone had been drinking was the being out at 3am rather than the lack of signaling. We were way out in the boonies.