• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

BS cancellation fee lesson

kensteriraq

Lesson learned! I will cancel every rider who does not get in my car by the time their ride is ready. Thanks Uber, you're teaching me that customer device does not pay.

Backstory:
I spent 20 minutes at the peak surge time (2:45am) on U Street last Saturday night and got paid zero dollars when a drunk passenger accidentally cancelled his trip when he tried to update the destination. I let him try to rebook but it kept assigning him other Uber drivers and I kept getting requests for other riders.

Ultimately, I had him get out after you've been in my car now for at least 10 minutes including the five or six blocks I already drove drove him before he accidentally cancelled. Well at least the cancellation fee of four dollars was on the trip.

But wait, they guy sobers up three days later and claims that I started the trip without him in the car! Uber, a technology company I can't see that he wrote in the car for several blocks? Now I lose even the $4 cancellation fee!

I hate Uber support. It would be nice if they could at least read what I wrote and not close out the ticket automatically.

Last edited:

Chapindc

Its funny how having the pax in the car can make us conduct business unprofessionally vs within sight or distance....

PDT

In my opinion from the facts presented, this passenger did this on purpose to try to avoid surge...get in the car, get you moving out of the zone, cancel, and rerequest at base... Any passenger that "accidentally" hits cancel, gets out...
I admit that I-one time-accidentally finished the trip before it was over and couldn't get the app to re-assign me.

kensteriraq

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In my opinion from the facts presented, this passenger did this on purpose to try to avoid surge...get in the car, get you moving out of the zone, cancel, and rerequest at base... Any passenger that "accidentally" hits cancel, gets out...
He did it by accident. He was ridiculously drunk but the bottom line is he wasted 20 minutes of my life and at the highest paying a percentage of the night you can get a long ride out at U Street at surge prices and I don't even get the cancellation fee. Pretty upset at Uber at this point. If the rider is in the car and they can track that because his phone is moving well my phone is moving at the exact same place and time, how then can it be that I started the trip without the rider in the car which is the entire basis for why the rider said he shouldn't be charged?

The lesson is very simple. Cancel stupid pax with weird names who can't find the proper place to pick up. Collect the fee and move on. F...em and remember Uber wants it this way or they'd do a better job reading the fare review response. Uber doesn't care so neither do I.

Roadman is right.

MoreTips

Something like this is were the new phone support comes in handy. The two times I've used it the reps at least seemed to speak English as their first language. Try that. The in app email support is a joke. Let us know if that works, so far I've had good luck with it.

Last edited:

DeplorableDonald

Something like this is were the new phone support comes in handy. Try that. The in app email support is a joke. Let us know if that works, so far I've had good luck with it.
Phone Support is usually as useless as email support. It's Rohit's cousin Rowena reading the same templates instead of Rohit cutting and pasting the responses.

Lyft is worse, just non-communicative. Still haven't heard anything about the sperm donor accidentally canceling the trip Monday.

DCNewbie17

I had someone cancel by mistake in the car and she tipped me based on what Uber was going to charge her. So it worked out better for me. But I think I got lucky that time. Better to calmly explain and let them out as you said.

You should continue to push back until they relent.

kensteriraq

I had someone cancel by mistake in the car and she tipped me based on what Uber was going to charge her. So it worked out better for me. But I think I got lucky that time. Better to calmly explain and let them out as you said.

You should continue to push back until they relent.
This guy couldn't speak English sober and he could barely stand. I prayed for him when I left that he'd stay still and not wander back in the street!

DCNewbie17

This guy couldn't speak English sober and he could barely stand. I prayed for him when I left that he'd stay still and not wander back in the street!
I had one of those during the day but it was a pick up from the H street festival. He was so drunk he walked by my car even though I was hunking the horn at him and we were on the phone. I tell him to stop walking and I will come around the block again. When I call him back he says he's on 6th street but doesn't know the cross street. This fool was standing in the middle of the intersection, as if cars weren't driving past him. It's like it hit everyone at once that he was too effed up to get angry with and drivers stopped honking and just came to a standstill so that he could reach me. And he still couldn't see me! I was halfway out of my window before he saw me. This was a pool ride so I just accepted that I was taking an L on this one.

He spent the ride apologizing to me for his behavior and how he was a loser not worth picking up. The next rider was tipsy but noticed he was drunk and gave him a pep talk too. Turns out, he's a recovering alcoholic and he had been sober for over a year until Saturday. GF ditched him to hang with guys from HS days. So he was disappointed with himself. Felt bad for the guy.

kensteriraq

I had one of those during the day but it was a pick up from the H street festival. He was so drunk he walked by my car even though I was hunking the horn at him and we were on the phone. I tell him to stop walking and I will come around the block again. When I call him back he says he's on 6th street but doesn't know the cross street. This fool was standing in the middle of the intersection, as if cars weren't driving past him. It's like it hit everyone at once that he was too effed up to get angry with and drivers stopped honking and just came to a standstill so that he could reach me. And he still couldn't see me! I was halfway out of my window before he saw me. This was a pool ride so I just accepted that I was taking an L on this one.

He spent the ride apologizing to me for his behavior and how he was a loser not worth picking up. The next rider was tipsy but noticed he was drunk and gave him a pep talk too. Turns out, he's a recovering alcoholic and he had been sober for over a year until Saturday. GF ditched him to hang with guys from HS days. So he was disappointed with himself. Felt bad for the guy.
Man, I feel bad for him. Hope it gets better for him.

lcc421110

Lesson learned! I will cancel every rider who does not get in my car by the time their ride is ready. Thanks Uber, you're teaching me that customer device does not pay.

Backstory:
I spent 20 minutes at the peak surge time (2:45am) on U Street last Saturday night and got paid zero dollars when a drunk passenger accidentally cancelled his trip when he tried to update the destination. I let him try to rebook but it kept assigning him other Uber drivers and I kept getting requests for other riders.

Ultimately, I had him get out after you've been in my car now for at least 10 minutes including the five or six blocks I already drove drove him before he accidentally cancelled. Well at least the cancellation fee of four dollars was on the trip.

But wait, they guy sobers up three days later and claims that I started the trip without him in the car! Uber, a technology company I can't see that he wrote in the car for several blocks? Now I lose even the $4 cancellation fee!

I hate Uber support. It would be nice if they could at least read what I wrote and not close out the ticket automatically.
UBER is a India TECH company, I don't understand their call center "English" speaking in India. They hate Americans,

Backstory:

Backstory:

China town 100% good passenger, Friday and Saturday night

peteyvavs

Backstory:

I now keep a two way camera in my car for reasons just like yours. This way if a customer makes a false accusation I have video to refute said accusations and gladly will upload it to Uber.