Broken vehicle with pax on freeway

motaz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, it will happen to all of us some day, and will be beneficial to be prepared .Some ideas can be a great help.

tohunt4me

No, it will happen to all of us some day, and will be beneficial to be prepared .Some ideas can be a great help.
Emergency flashers on.
Do not allow Pax out of vehicle.
Call immediately for another Uber oR taxi.
Would probably pay for the rest of their ride out of my pocket.
Then call tow truck if needed,after Pax are secure and on their way.

If it happened on freeway,65% chance it would be an airport trip.

My goal would be to get Pax to destination ON TIME.

I would pull over and offer same to taxi driver or Uber driver if i saw them broke down with passengers.

No one would be allowed to transfer luggage but myself.

Last edited:

tohunt4me

I have seen taxi drivers on side of road in nice new mini vans.
No passengers though.

I have already thought this one through( my vehicle is 2 years old,with 39,000 miles and dealer serviced)

It could happen to anyone at any time.

Having a plan of action is good policy.

motaz

Tohunt4me,don't you think it's uber responcebility to have all of this thought of. Give an incentive to other uber drivers to respond quickly to a broken vehicle with 2x the original fare (for example ).I like all the safety precautions you mentioned.

tohunt4me

Tohunt4me,don't you think it's uber responcebility to have all of this thought of. Give an incentive to other uber drivers to respond quickly to a broken vehicle with 2x the original fare (for example ).I like all the safety precautions you mentioned.
I don't count on Uber for ANYTHING.

Even the app. Will screw you and lower your ratings if you let it.

Double check even driving directions.

" TECHNOLOGY !"

tohunt4me

I don't count on Uber for ANYTHING.

Even the app. Will screw you and lower your ratings if you let it.

Double check even driving directions.

" TECHNOLOGY !"
I am responsible for the riders in my car.
I am the captain of my ship.
They can not text fast enough from India to help with a carjacking,or armed robbery.

One must have plans for any possible event.

Silent_Philosodriver

Honest question - Can you request an UBER in the middle of the highway? (I guess manually you could enter an address + explanation) but if you just request where you are, wouldn't the app give the closest actual address instead of say '2 miles of the 380 eastbound exit' ?

RedoBeach

Honest question - Can you request an UBER in the middle of the highway? (I guess manually you could enter an address + explanation) but if you just request where you are, wouldn't the app give the closest actual address instead of say '2 miles of the 380 eastbound exit' ?
It would show as a pin... I actually had someone do this to me in LA. They couldn't figure out how to place the pin. Needless to say I didn't pick them up..

Euius

I've picked up people (If sfsu kids are people) on the freeway after their driver was arrested for dui and car towed.

Plenty of other times the pin was on a freeway when the rider was not. Normally they're under it.

cho

I picked up a passenger on the freeway.it was his very first Uber ride. his car had broken down and he was trying to get to an interview. I called him first to confirm his pickup location and he said yep on the freeway.

AlexK

I would be a little nervous picking someone up on the freeway, but I have gotten a flat tire with a passenger just before I merged onto 101S.

I coasted to the side, she ordered a new uber, I helped load her stuff into the new car, and away she went. I had roadside assistance from my oil change company, and I was off.

It's crazy, but this is what rideshare insurance is for in my mind, I'm just glad nothing happened to me or the passenger. Tricky business!

cho

I would be a little nervous picking someone up on the freeway
The pax wasn't even on the shoulder of the freeway, he was stuck in between the freeway and the off-ramp. Cars zooming by on both sides of us. A little dicey for sure, but that's why it helps to have earned a Masters Degree from traffic school. I actually get more nervous trying to cross Market Street.

painfreepc

I love it when someone asks for advice on how to deal with a real life uber/lyft scenario and then most of you attempt to offer advice but have no idea what the hell you're talking about,
------------------------------

If the freeway is Not crowded immediately put on your flashers and obviously move Car to freeway shoulder get as far to the right as possible,

If the freeway is crowded, I would suggest you put on your flashers and stick your hand out the window to get other drivers attention, you may even have your passenger or passengers help you with this,

Keep flashers on do not turn them off,
If it's nighttime turn on your inside car lights makes your car a lot more visible,

Most of the sites online will tell you not to exit the car, I say the hell with that, if you can safely exit the car even if everyone has to do it on the passenger side, even if you have to go through the window, I suggest you do so, don't want to have some idiot rear-end you while you sitting in the car,

If you have those reflective triangles you need to put those down now and raise the hood makes car more visible,

If you're lucky enough not to be stuck against one of those protective barriers on the freeway then move as far away from the car as possible and call for help,

stand on the other side of the guardrail when possible,

If you are stuck again some type of protective barrier, you and your passengers need to walk to the front of the car, I would only walk about maybe 3 car lengths in front of the car,

you don't want to be so close to the car that if someone rear-ended your car, they won't bounce the car into you, but then again you don't want to be so far from the car that if someone hits the side of your car, that can't run their car into you,

you want to kind of use your car that stuck on the freeway as a some type of protective barrier,

Now is the time to get on your cell phone and call for help, do not wave your hands in the air and signal for unprofessional help to stop and give you assistance, you are putting your life in their life possibly in danger,

My next piece of advice may sound a little weird but here goes,

If non professional help or a friend or family member is attempting to pull over to help you, try to get them to pull their car in front of your car you want to allow the stalled car to be a shield against you and the other car that's helping you,

If professional help is arriving I'm pretty sure they will pull behind you to allow their heavy vehicle to protect yours and to provide safety,

I would not suggest you be calling another uber to pick up your passengers up on the freeway unless you're lucky enough to be in a freeway area that has lots of room for a car to pull over safely,

If your passengers insist on being picked up by another Uber in an unsafe situation I would strongly suggest you let them do it on their account and do not in any way be offering to do it on your account you will be liable..

I'm not saying my advice here is 100% correct, my advice comes from 11 years of Taxi Driving..
--------------------------

Last edited:

motaz

I love it when someone asks for advice on how to deal with a real life uber/lyft scenario and then most of you attempt to offer advice but have no idea what the hell you're talking about,
------------------------------

If the freeway is Not crowded immediately put on your flashers and obviously move Car to freeway shoulder get as far to the right as possible,

If the freeway is crowded, I would suggest you put on your flashers and stick your hand out the window to get other drivers attention, you may even have your passenger or passengers help you with this,

Keep flashers on do not turn them off,
If it's nighttime turn on your inside car lights makes your car a lot more visible,

Most of the sites online will tell you not to exit the car, I say the hell with that, if you can safely exit the car even if everyone has to do it on the passenger side, even if you have to go through the window, I suggest you do so, don't want to have some idiot rear-end you while you sitting in the car,

If you have those reflective triangles you need to put those down now,

If you're lucky enough not to be stuck against one of those protective barriers on the freeway then move as far away from the car as possible and call for help,

If you are stuck again some type of protective barrier, you and your passengers need to walk to the front of the car, I would only walk about maybe 3 car lengths in front of the car,

you don't want to be so close to the car that if someone rear-ended your car, they won't bounce the car into you, but then again you don't want to be so far from the car that if someone hits the side of your car, that can't run their car into you,

you want to kind of use your car that stuck on the freeway as a some type of protective barrier,

Now is the time to get on your cell phone and call for help, do not wave your hands in the air and signal for unprofessional help to stop and give you assistance, you are putting your life in their life possibly in danger,

My next piece of advice may sound a little weird but here goes,

If non professional help or a friend or family member is attempting to pull over to help you, try to get them to pull their car in front of your car you want to allow the stalled car to be a shield against you and the other car that's helping you,

If professional help is arriving I'm pretty sure they will pull behind you to allow their heavy vehicle to protect yours and to provide safety,

I would not suggest you be calling another uber to pick up your passengers up on the freeway unless you're lucky enough to be in a freeway area that has lots of room for a car to pull over safely,

If your passengers insist on being picked up by another Uber in an unsafe situation I would strongly suggest you let them do it on their account and do not in any way be offering to do it on your account you will be liable..

I'm not saying my advice here is 100% correct, my advice comes from 11 years of Taxi Driving..
--------------------------
Great tips, who should pick our passengers up, or who should we call to have them picked up?

financeguy13

If you're a driver and stranded on the side of the highway and ordering a new Uber, you know to immediately call the driver to tell them your location. Drivers just want to go to were the passenger is with clear directions when necessary. I just want to get to the passenger without delay no matter where they are.

Passengers may not do this, but the smart ones will contact you right away to give you good directions. If they don't then you know the highway pin is not correct and just cancel if you can't contact them.