• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Broke my own rule

Mista T

Author
I always low star short rides, unless there is a tip involved. But broke that rule today.

An older man took a while to get to my vehicle, walking/shuffling slowly towards me. He gets in and tells me he has Parkinson's. Took him for a short ride. Friendly guy. Gave him 5 stars, maybe I am going soft in my old age. I would be honored to help him again in the future.

MedicMan

I always low star short rides, unless there is a tip involved. But broke that rule today.

An older man took a while to get to my vehicle, walking/shuffling slowly towards me. He gets in and tells me he has Parkinson's. Took him for a short ride. Friendly guy. Gave him 5 stars, maybe I am going soft in my old age. I would be honored to help him again in the future.
Good for you. It's not always about the money. It's nice when you choose to help a fellow human. Not so nice when the government forces you to be nice by paying extra taxes.

Over/Uber

I know, I’m a broken record, but, how does one make the jump from short ride to 1-star to avoid rematch? Is there something wrong with a person or the process in which a short ride occurs? Is someone at fault? What if that same rider needs a longer, more lucrative ride later on but you’ll never be rematched since they have a the 1-star (I know, someone else gets that ride--better for the rest of us)?

I simply think, unless you’re getting rematched due to a repeat of timing/place patterns, it is short sighted to 1-star every short ride and one is limiting potential future income. Yep, I wish U/L Paid us more for shorter trips. I think we should make a minimum of $10 every time someone gets in our car, but we don’t. But, we might later on if or when that same person needs a longer ride. Say, the short ride tourist today who needs a ride to the airport tomorrow.

Btw, I’ve been rematched with a particular short rider 3 times. Never have seen her since.

It’s good you helped the gentlemen and are willing to do so again.

Last edited:

Mista T

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I try to screen the pax, if they admit to me they only take short rides then the decision is cemented. If they are tourists then I don't low rate, it won't matter anyway.

Can't speak for others. For me, it's all about the money. I cannot financially justify spending 1-5 minutes driv8ng somewhere, 0-5 minutes waiting, and 3-10 minutes driving all to make $3 and change. Opportunity cost, could be making more with different pax.

Yes, I know, they might tip. Might. If they tip on Lyft I can change the rating. On Uber I just have to play the odds and go with mygut

Clayla

... unless you’re getting rematched due to a repeat of timing/place patterns..[/QUOTE said:
That’s how I make the determination. If you’re a short-haul commuter and theses trips are important to you and you hang drivers on lengthy drives to pick you up and you refuse to tip, then I have zero interest in EVER getting you again. All drivers should rate you one star and recognize that your rating indicates that you’re problematic in some way.

MedicMan

I gave a girl one star yesterday. It was a long ride and she was not very friendly. I considered that she was just having a bad day but as the ride ended I determined that she is normally condescending and demeaning. It was a very stressful ride and my life, and the world, would be much better place without folks like her. The fare was $11 and if it was 5 times that amount it would not be worth it.

Most of my riders are pretty nice folks and pleasant to be around.

Over/Uber

I gave a girl one star yesterday. It was a long ride and she was not very friendly. I considered that she was just having a bad day but as the ride ended I determined that she is normally condescending and demeaning. It was a very stressful ride and my life, and the world, would be much better place without folks like her. The fare was $11 and if it was 5 times that amount it would not be worth it.

Most of my riders are pretty nice folks and pleasant to be around.
I just don’t try to talk or be friendly, so I’d never know they’re condescending or demeaning unless I piss them off.