Broad addresses and drive to pin requests - it's Google's fault

LA Cabbie

Most certainly all of you have encountered pick-up addresses that were too broad, say "United States" or ambiguous addresses that required Uber to tell you Drive to pin.

This is an issue with Google's Maps API. There are three ways to get a human readable address with Google Maps API.

1) GPS data pings the api such as lat/lng coordinates.

2) Place id via Auto Complete whereby the user types in the name of the place such as LAX and google takes over the rest.

3) Moving the map. Just to let you know, although you can drag a marker, Uber uses a custom marker. Therefore, you are actually dragging the map while the pin stays in place. When this happens, much like with the GPS, Google takes the coordinates of that place on the map and converts it to a human readable address.

Here is where the problem lies, sometimes the human readable data on Google's back-end is bad. However, the lat/lng coordinates are almost always good. This is why Uber has you drive to the pin.

In the rare event that a human readable address is bad, moving the pin (actually dragging the map) slightly takes care of the problem. But as we all know, pax are too drunk and stupid to know or even care about this.

So I just want to say, this is Google's fault. And if Uber is relying on the coordinates rather than human readable addresses, you are good to go.

UberIsAllFubared

Still not accepting "drive to pins". Just not gonna happen. Ever again. This job is hard enough when i have an actual address, because lord knows, I am at One Wilshire, but the passenger is on the others side of the building, and now I have to go completely around the block because all downtown is ONE WAY streets... or some other bullshit. Last thing I need to be doing, cause I have done it before, is driving around looking for a passenger.

Way2Lucky

I just love the "Oh, the app gave you the wrong address" crap. Really? the UBER app is now an autonomous robot bent on the destruction of humankind by sending their UBER drivers on wild goose chases!?! You're not only dumb as a box of rocks, you're getting cancelled, one-starred and finding a new sucker to drive you home.

LA Cabbie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Still not accepting "drive to pins". Just not gonna happen. Ever again. This job is hard enough when i have an actual address, because lord knows, I am at One Wilshire, but the passenger is on the others side of the building, and now I have to go completely around the block because all downtown is ONE WAY streets... or some other bullshit. Last thing I need to be doing, cause I have done it before, is driving around looking for a passenger.
Uber has got to have a Details section for the pax to make things clear. You probably have an idea of how many times on both sides of the coast, whether it is Hollywood, Ca or Hollywood, Fl, I hear "No, I'm right here, Where you at?" Turns to her friend, "My Uber driver is such a moron." Where's here? I think if pax can enter in a location such as starbucks would be a lost easier for drivers to pick-up then you having to go looking for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Another Uber Driver

Uber has got to have a Details section for the pax to make things clear.
I have long suggested to several Operations Managers here that there should be a field for "Special Pick-Up Instructions". This allows customers at hospitals to let you know that it is MAIN or EMERGENCY. This allows customers at office buildings that have two, or more, entrances to let you know which side (I street side, Nineteenth Street side of 1850 I St., N.W.) or similar. Some have agreed me, but nothing ever has come of it. It would not be hard. Most of the current satellite/computer/GPS taxi call assignment systems in current use have such a field.

lyft_audi

It's noot google's fault. The Uber app send the location data to google maps as the actual gps coordinates versus the actual address. That's why it sometimes asks you to turn down backroads or side streets.

Take a look back at maps after you end your ride some time.

Look in the box where you'd normally type in an address... It's all numbers like this: 47.990976 87.965467

LA Cabbie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's noot google's fault. The Uber app send the location data to google maps as the actual gps coordinates versus the actual address. That's why it sometimes asks you to turn down backroads or side streets.

Take a look back at maps after you end your ride some time.

Look in the box where you'd normally type in an address... It's all numbers like this: 47.990976 87.965467
Uber does not know the address. That's what Google is for. You are right that Uber sends GPS data. But how Google processes that data and return the human readable address is the issue.

In the case that users type in the address, they start typing and the google auto locate address takes over. For example, Los Angeles Airport. If you type in LAX, a Google drop down box appears and you choose the airport. One would think that addresses provided by Google would be OK... I don't know what market you are in, but for the metro station in North Hollywood, CA. If you type in 'north hollywood metro station' (you can do this from anywhere in the world), you will see this from Google:

Metro Orange/Red Line Station, North Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA, United States

The actual data you are getting for address is this:
lat: 34.1686728
lng: -118.37674930000003
place id: ChIJCfjkE-6VwoARrPktMrC8MHM
street number: undefined
pick up route: undefined
neighborhood: North Hollywood
sublocality: undefined
locality: Los Angeles
admin_lvl_2: Los Angeles County
admin_lvl_1: California
postal_code: 91601
adress_formatted: Lankershim / Chandler, Los Angeles, CA 91601, USA
address: Lankershim / Chandler NoHo Los Angeles
title: Lankershim / Chandler

I like Uber use Google Maps API, so I see this data, you cannot, but it is what the Uber app is also getting, and sending to you. The Lat/Lng is correct, but the details of the street address is vague. This would be a perfect case for Uber to say "Drive to pin".

Really what needs to happen other than Google getting it together is for Uber to better educate their drivers. Tell them this is Google's fault. The street address is not that helpful but the location is correct.

Way2Lucky

Uber has got to have a Details section for the pax to make things clear. You probably have an idea of how many times on both sides of the coast, whether it is Hollywood, Ca or Hollywood, Fl, I hear "No, I'm right here, Where you at?" Turns to her friend, "My Uber driver is such a moron." Where's here? I think if pax can enter in a location such as starbucks would be a lost easier for drivers to pick-up then you having to go looking for them.
The #1 piece of advice I give users is to NEVER use pin drops. Exact addresses for residences and enter the name of the origin or destination business for business picks/drops. A driver will see the well lit, 20' long, bright red GIORDANO's awning before they ever see the 3" high address numbers in the dark.

Way2Lucky

I have long suggested to several Operations Managers here that there should be a field for "Special Pick-Up Instructions". This allows customers at hospitals to let you know that it is MAIN or EMERGENCY. This allows customers at office buildings that have two, or more, entrances to let you know which side (I street side, Nineteenth Street side of 1850 I St., N.W.) or similar. Some have agreed me, but nothing ever has come of it. It would not be hard. Most of the current satellite/computer/GPS taxi call assignment systems in current use have such a field.
Doesn't help that most pax don't know left from right, let alone N, S, E, W side of the building they've worked in for ten years. Sad.

NFIH

The #1 piece of advice I give users is to NEVER use pin drops. Exact addresses for residences and enter the name of the origin or destination business for business picks/drops. A driver will see the well lit, 20' long, bright red GIORDANO's awning before they ever see the 3" high address numbers in the dark.
Does the passenger app always allow the rider to enter a named address? Because it's great when this happens, but it seems to be completely random. On occasion I've asked riders whether they entered a named address and they said no, but the address still showed up for me as a name.

NFIH

This would be a godsend. But if you're using Google and not Uber for your GPS, would this still work?

Another Uber Driver

This would be a godsend. But if you're using Google and not Uber for your GPS, would this still work?
I would expect that you could. It would be printed instructions in a special field. Thus, it could appear under the street address, or, the address could appear in, say, red, instead of black, which would alert the driver to go to the "information" page to read the special pickup insrtuctions. The information page is currently where you go to get the telephone number, the customer's rating and how much (if anything) the surge is.

Way2Lucky

Does the passenger app always allow the rider to enter a named address? Because it's great when this happens, but it seems to be completely random. On occasion I've asked riders whether they entered a named address and they said no, but the address still showed up for me as a name.
They can definitely enter a name and town and the driver receives that along with the full address. However, there may very be some businesses where all you need to do is enter the address and the name pops up, although I've tried this in the customer app with several local businesses with no luck.