Brand New Cars

Inshur

Tysmith95

Serious question, but I visited NYC over this past weekend (I drive in Boston). Why did it seem like every single Uber was brand spanking new. When I requested an UberX I got someone in a brand new Honda Pilot, 15 bucks for the 6 mile ride. That can't be that profitable.

Are you not allowed to use used cars or something?

jaybx17

Well because idiots come here thinking they are going to make a shit ton of money so they go out and purchase new cars and the dealers could care less they will let you drive away with it no money down, bad credit and all! You got escalades doing poops and everything out here just to try and make ends meet.

Uberinian

Serious question, but I visited NYC over this past weekend (I drive in Boston). Why did it seem like every single Uber was brand spanking new. When I requested an UberX I got someone in a brand new Honda Pilot, 15 bucks for the 6 mile ride. That can't be that profitable.

Be ause you have idiots thinking they'll make a lot of money, so they go to these Uber partner car loan rip off scam companies like tower ,american lease, etc and sign for a brand new 2018 camry for like 60k.

Rustyshackelford

Mr Boston can you do me a favor. Let us know how much on average you guys make in a week and how many hours. I've been trying to convince these NYC people that other city drivers such as Boston nj and sf.
On top of everyone having new cars we have tlc fees, and commercial insurance. Aprox 5-6k in expenses a year before we earn a dollar.

Frankyfiggs

Rule for doing uber is late model car in NYC. I went to Boston and got an uber ride from a pikey Irish in a 98 Pontiac sunfire...I think it was Boston it mighta been katonah ave

Tysmith95

Mr Boston can you do me a favor. Let us know how much on average you guys make in a week and how many hours. I've been trying to convince these NYC people that other city drivers such as Boston nj and sf.
On top of everyone having new cars we have tlc fees, and commercial insurance. Aprox 5-6k in expenses a year before we earn a dollar.
It all depends on when you drive. Our income varies by the season (better in the fall/spring) and is also better during certain times. Rates after Uber's cut are 97 cents a mile and 15 cents a min for UberX.

I'd say that the average driver gross below 20 an hour during the slow times and 25 an hour during the busy times. Best drivers add about 10 an hour more (people who do split shifts or part time during weekend nights or early Monday mornings). So the best drivers probably make 25-30 during the slow times and 30-35 during the better times. Although the winters suck, January it's like 15-20 an hour for the average driver and about 25 an hour for the smarter ones.

Of course this is gross, before car costs.

Rent is not that much different then NYC (maybe slightly less, but it's still third behind SF and NYC). You can have older cars however although most drivers drive cars 5-10 years old in my experience (honestly the maintenance costs and time off the road for cars over 10 years makes it more expensive then just getting a 5 year old car). Uber allows 2001 or newer (which imho is too old).

I know NYC rates are higher. So i'd say added costs the take home for Boston and NYC must be similar. Although i'd think with the Boston vs NYC regulations it would encourage more part timers in Boston versus NYC. NJ rates are crap so we probably do better then NJ drivers.

lyas

well there are a lot of reasons for that.some of them were cited above and there is what they call tlc rules . u can't work with car that.s older than 7 years so if u wanna join uber today has to be at least 2011.and even if is new u gotta change it after 7 years of service.and when the car new the insurance is a little cheaper.and the main reason the passengers in nyc got spoiled with escalade and bmw for uber x.so if u go with old car they will slap you with 1 star smh

Last edited:

unitxero

UBER Emp #2266971
If you want to have a fat laugh, open the Uber, Lyft or Juno App and set the Luxury SUV option and watch how many you see have been fooled.

Tysmith95

well there are a lot of reasons for that.some of them were cited above and there is what they call tlc rules . u can't work with car that.s older than 7 years so if u wanna join uber today has at least 2011.and even if is new u gotta change it after 7 years of service.and when the car new the insurance is a little cheaper.and the main reason the passengers in nyc got spoiled with escalade and bmw for uber x.so if u go with old car they will slap you with 1 star smh
So if you need a 2011 or newer to start, and can keep it for a while, why the heck aren't more people buying 2012 Camrys instead of brand spanking new Pilots/Highlanders.

I guess people in Boston do the same thing. I've seen people in BMWs doing only UberX (though I hope it's a part time thing).

I have a 2010, that's a good age, too new to have major problems but old enough where it has depreciated a bit.

Rustyshackelford

So if you need a 2011 or newer to start, and can keep it for a while, why the heck aren't more people buying 2012 Camrys instead of brand spanking new Pilots/Highlanders.

I guess people in Boston do the same thing. I've seen people in BMWs doing only UberX (though I hope it's a part time thing).

I have a 2010, that's a good age, too new to have major problems but old enough where it has depreciated a bit.
Simple they don't have the cash to buy a used car so they get themselves into predatory deals be it rentals, lease to owns, or high interest rate loans.

Link_upnyc

Its NYC and you have to ride clean or your rating will drop :/

K.O.N.Y

I went the brand new route but I didn't go overboard...17 Civic and it grosses 12 times the minimum monthly payment every single month. If you buy the brand new car u need for this kind of work instead of the brand new car u want you shouldn't run into that many problems.

Frankyfiggs

I went the brand new route but I didn't go overboard...17 Civic and it grosses 12 times the minimum monthly payment every single month. If you buy the brand new car u need for this kind of work instead of the brand new car u want you shouldn't run into that many problems.

I think CT6 with 4 cylinder gonna be popular soon..next year

Lenny_yellow_cab

It all depends on when you drive. Our income varies by the season (better in the fall/spring) and is also better during certain times. Rates after Uber's cut are 97 cents a mile and 15 cents a min for UberX.

I'd say that the average driver gross below 20 an hour during the slow times and 25 an hour during the busy times. Best drivers add about 10 an hour more (people who do split shifts or part time during weekend nights or early Monday mornings). So the best drivers probably make 25-30 during the slow times and 30-35 during the better times. Although the winters suck, January it's like 15-20 an hour for the average driver and about 25 an hour for the smarter ones.

Of course this is gross, before car costs.

Rent is not that much different then NYC (maybe slightly less, but it's still third behind SF and NYC). You can have older cars however although most drivers drive cars 5-10 years old in my experience (honestly the maintenance costs and time off the road for cars over 10 years makes it more expensive then just getting a 5 year old car). Uber allows 2001 or newer (which imho is too old).

I know NYC rates are higher. So i'd say added costs the take home for Boston and NYC must be similar. Although i'd think with the Boston vs NYC regulations it would encourage more part timers in Boston versus NYC. NJ rates are crap so we probably do better then NJ drivers.

Boston drivers definitely make more than NYC drivers.

Inshur New York