Boston Cab Driver Returns $187,000 in Cash Left in Back Seat

uberdriverfornow

No good deed goes unpunished, or in this case, rewarded properly.

Maybe if the driver would have dressed up as a panhandler he would have received a bigger handout. Then again, probably not.

He shoulda hid the money and said another rider must have took it.

JaniceCT

I wonder if the owner is pissed the cabbies story made th news. I bet at least the IRS is going to wonder where the cash came from. I would have held on to it for a few days. If the rider did t report it then I would say keep it

Brandon0315

I tend to think that these type of situations are setups....there is NO way that I could possibly forget to grab that much money.

MikesUber

I would have held on to it for a few days. If the rider did t report it then I would say keep it
That's called theft, no way you can legally keep that money. You find $5.00 on the ground congrats it's your lucky day, you find 187K anywhere and that money belongs to someone. Plus it may be dirty money :eek: (not in this case). inb4 you were joking

So the driver was given a free cruise and has a online fund going to raise $5,000
Awesome story, if you're a good person and help others good things will find you.

"On Wednesday, Royal Caribbean contacted Raymond “Buzzy” MacCausland and his longtime girlfriend, Sharon King, to offer them a seven-day Caribbean cruise for two, including airfare to the port of departure in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Other rewards are in the works, and MacCausland and King are also hoping an online fund-raiser, with a modest goal of $5,000, might help loosen the financial squeeze they’re in."

Kudos to Royal Caribbean (yes it gives them some feel good publicity), 7 day Caribbean cruise would be awesome.

I_Like_Spam

If the cabbie doesn't return this much cash, and starts to spend it, he's going up the river.

And for many cabbies, it would be a "3rd strike" and life imprisonment.

$100 and a congratulatory note in the media seems ok.

ChortlingCrison

I tend to think that these type of situations are setups....there is NO way that I could possibly forget to grab that much money.
Yeah it looks like that. For all we know, they could have marked several of those bills. Not likely though. I think the driver did the right though $100 seems a bit pitiful.

thomas1955

People suck, you leave that much cash in my car, I'm like don't know what your talked about... Finders keepers, losers weepers.

MattyMikey

Hide the money and continue to do instant hails for rest of shift. Because nobody would suspect if you found that much cash you wouldn't quit working for the day (at least). Plus then you could blame other passengers may have saw and grabbed the bag. :wink:

ChinatownJake

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So the driver was given a free cruise and has an online fund going to raise $5,000
Thanks for posting this follow-up. It includes this sentence:

The $100 tip was as much as [72-year-old taxi driver] MacCausland would accept, the man said, though MacCausland indicated he wouldn’t have minded a bit more.

Which I take to mean that although MacCausland told the guy what he did, he was being "polite" and was really hoping the man would come back with a "No, I insist" more. The taxi driver is semi-retired, driving on weekends to supplement Social Security.

Last edited:

ChinatownJake

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How does a homeless person have a smartphone and an Uber account?
A lot of homeless people here in L.A. have smartphones, often courtesy of a local support group or agency. To help them find work, keep in touch, stay safe.

However, in the follow-up item, the Globe clarifies that this guy wasn't quite homeless. Maybe formerly, only:

The man, who spoke anonymously to the Globe on Tuesday, said he had spent the last six months living at the Pine Street Inn and recovering from drug addiction. The money was an inheritance from his recently deceased parents — a fact he proved to police before they released the money back to him.

Let's hope that drug addiction is not something he returns to. Otherwise, the 187K could be gone in a hurry.

Last edited: