1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Booking ahead

Discussion in 'Advice' started by pgettelman, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Hi all, any advise for booking ahead? Does it help with off time pick ups like a 4am airport run?

2. CJfrom619

CJfrom619

Driving:
    UberX
    You live in SF friend where Uber was founded. I’m sure there will be a driver even at 4am.

Dice Man and Uber's Guber like this.
  3. Atom guy

Atom guy

Booking ahead doesn't really do anything. It does not prearrange a driver to pick you up. Think of it more like a timer for ordering your Uber. You're still going to get whichever random Uber driver accepts that accepts the trip request, with the inherent risks of getting an idiot who gets lost or cancels.

Dice Man likes this.
  4. Coachman

Coachman

Driving:
    UberX
    Most riders think if they book ahead there's a rider scheduled to come get them. In actuality all that happens is the nearest driver is called at your selected time. It's no different than if you request on the app yourself.

Rakos and Cableguynoe like this.
  5. Riders have mixed results with the Rider scheduled in advance feature . Sometimes they are very late in getting picked up . Like mentioned above if no driver is in the area you are not getting picked up .

SuzeCB likes this.
  6. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    There are pros and cons...

If you book the ride when there is no surge being charged to you, if there is a surge going on at the time of p/u, you won't be charged the surge rate. However, if there's a surge going on at the time, no decent driver that knows what s/he's actually doing will accept your scheduled ride if they're not getting surge rates. I mean, would you? Of course not.

Uber has a general idea of when there tends to be drivers in a particular area, but they can't predict it with any kind of real accuracy. Driver's don't have assigned shift times or areas. If you need that kind of assurance, schedule a cab or car service.

You get what you pay for.

Rakos, Mista T and Bro Olomide like this.
  7. paulmsr

paulmsr

i decline every scheduled ride, most of the time the ride is cancelled before you get there. and usually before the cancellation fee kicks in

T&W and SuzeCB like this.
  8. Coachman

Coachman

Driving:
    UberX
    I've never had that problem. About half my scheduled rides have been airport trips. I'm happy with that.

Rakos and Mista T like this.
  9. paulmsr

paulmsr

if mine were classified LD id accept because then its airport, but its always just regular trips

Bro Olomide likes this.
  10. Kodyhead

Kodyhead

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Same with me, but had some epic bad ones lol

Had one in a more upscale 55+ community I know very well. Showed up and asked me to drive to the service entrance instead of lobby. Out comes maybe a 25yo guy on crutches with a below knee amputation. Turned out to be an xl run to the gas station then back and was just a beer run. Even worse was that the conversation was the becoming an uber driver conversation as well.

Was brutally honest with him about luggage issues and riders expectations at times and the overall terrible miami market for x and pool.

This was most likely a ordered xl by mistake deal too

Rakos and Bro Olomide like this.
  11. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    My lyft app shows scheduled rides ahead of time that I can accept and it puts it on my schedule. Ive only seen an available ride twice but never accepted.

12. AllGold

AllGold

Lyft and Uber do it differently. Atom guy is correct about Uber. Scheduled rides on Uber show the message that "the rider scheduled this ride in advance" however, unlike Lyft, there's no way to see it or accept it ahead of time because the ping doesn't go out until the scheduled time.

Rakos likes this.
  13. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    Lyft allows multiple drivers to accept the same ride (in case someone can't make it), and gives it to the first to arrive. Others do not get a cancel fee for this since it's a Lyft cancellation.

Rakos likes this.
  14. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    Gotcha, didn't know how it worked, never saw a request that fit my time schedule. Thank You.

15. In LA, any time I accept a "prearranged" Uber trip to the airport, the surge definitely applied and the pax even complained about it because they thought it meant they'd get the trip at base fare since that's what it was at the time they scheduled the trip. I always say nope, if it's surging at the time of their requested trip, they pay surge prices. Otherwise everyone who used Uber would pre-schedule every ride they want to take when it's not surging so they could avoid surge pricing. And knowing Uber's cheap-as-**** pax, we all KNOW that would happen.

I've had about 5 of these and they were all 1.6x surge or higher, and the payment breakdown always shows pax paying the surge total.

And BTW just to be the passive aggressive ***** I am, each time I make sure to tell them I'd never accept a base trip at 4 am, since we only make .72 cents per mile. I want them to know how ridiculously cheap Uber is and how ridiculously low their trip actually is. IMO even with a damn surge it's dirt cheap compared to taxis.

I haven't driven for a while so if what you mentioned is a new policy, you can totally disregard this comment.

Rakos and SuzeCB like this.
  16. Do what you want as far as accepting/not accepting trips.

But its human nature for people to shop for the lowest prices- that's why people love Walmart. And also remember, if you are driving Uber X, you are working the bargain basement of transportation, and you really should recognize and accept it, embrace it.

Rakos likes this.
  17. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    Hmmm... I believe they let them do that in my market when it first started. I just looked in the pax app and it seems it's been changed.

Good!

18. reg barclay

reg barclay Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Apparently, according to current policy, if pax schedule a ride 60 mins or more in advance, then the price gets locked:

scheduled.jpg

Rakos likes this.
  19. My experience with Uber scheduled rides as a driver:
    • As already mentioned, they do tend to be airport runs.
    • Uber tells the driver that the rider scheduled the ride, but doesn't tell the driver what the scheduled time was.
    • More often for scheduled rides than for other rides, the rider is not ready to go when I arrive. If I arrive at 8:27 for what apparently was a 8:30 scheduled pickup, the rider will almost certainly run out the 5-minute timer that allows the driver to cancel and collect a cancelation fee without giving the ride. I may wait anyway if I think it will be worth it. But usually, whether scheduled or not, I cancel and roll away at exactly 5:01. (If the per minute charge for wait time was double what it is, I'd almost always be happy to wait as long a the rider would like.)

Rakos likes this.