Black Market Ants

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Lots of stories lately about Uber getting kicked out of this city or that. Plus with the ever decreasing rates for drivers, while Uber/Lyft takes the lion's share of the fares, in my opinion will only lead to the likelyhood that drivers will begin taking their business profits into their own hands.

Screenshot_20191231-102102_Chrome.jpg

I believe this prediction is true. I know for a fact 3 drivers here will do tonight (NYE) what they have been doing for the past year at high demand venues; turn off the app and make their own money.

Flat surge what?
square-card.jpg

goneubering

This goes on now, but the penalty is stiff. Stings are conducted resulting in towing and heavy fines unfortunately. Be careful.
It gets talked about on the LA forum but it’s probably such a tiny % of the business that Uber doesn’t notice.
Post automatically merged:

I don’t do it.

peteyvavs

Lots of stories lately about Uber getting kicked out of this city or that. Plus with the ever decreasing rates for drivers, while Uber/Lyft takes the lion's share of the fares, in my opinion will only lead to the likelyhood that drivers will begin taking their business profits into their own hands.

View attachment 395286

I believe this prediction is true. I know for a fact 3 drivers here will do tonight (NYE) what they have been doing for the past year at high demand venues; turn off the app and make their own money.

Flat surge what?
View attachment 395285
Uber and Lyft began as black market ride share, karma is a bi..ch.

uber pay is so bad there is just zero profit in driving . just give the pax 25 % off of what the app charges to pay cash. I think this is how there doing it .
I already do, it works out very well.

even bigger news:

Welcome t o 4 years ago.
A few years ago shameless had a whole season of Carl pulling up to people doing the Uber dance doing rides illegal cab isn't new

Libretaxi.org isn't new anyone can use to facilitate rides in their city, probably just as safe as Uber Lyft me personally I'm an adult so I buy cars

I'm sure every city has least 100 like me who poach the good airport riders & least 1000 that work venues or spots with an Uber sticker app off taking best offer from the cash waving drunkards to busy to wait on the hundred Uber lyfts just called when the venue let's out

Far as police at that time they just want everyone gone & the block cleared stings unlikely and those doing like that have back up & shared accounts

Whole thing is lawless at this point wtf I look like doing a $4 gross ride when they'll happily give me 10+ cash just to go

Then it's human nature they really think their so clever they can steal from you like you can't steal back a hundred different ways

It's really the worse evil backwards "company" I've ever had the pleasure of working for it more comical than anything none of it's remotely legal about them at this point lol

They just flat out steal & ignore messages now like they'll give up it's only $3 which takes approximately 10 different Apu bots & 10+ messages to resolve if it ever does get resolved

.....right up to the moment they are in a accident. then the jig is up and sing sing here they go.
Pretty much same story if you get in an accident with Uber Lyft

Jig immediately up as Uber Lyft immediately deactivate you so $1000 for Uber $2500 for Lyft most accidents even minor means least a week downtime

At $3-4 gross on most rides under 10 miles which is 85+% of rides that's $1 or less net so 1000-2500 rides or 30 rides a day every month

Congrats 1 accident means 1-2+ months minimum of free labor hope it was a fully depreciated xl only vehicle worth less than the deductible because at .60 per mile you're losing money on every ride not going 20+ miles lol

Or hopefully they saved enough to buy a new car & get it signed on next day or rent a car for working 40+ hours JUST for the rental lol

Plebs got choices mane

Last edited:

Stevie The magic Unicorn

It's extremely easy to do.

When it's surging or drivers are long distances away it's VERY easy. (i drive a taxi so when I do it it's legal)

Most customers also don't get that the driver has zero insurance if they don't book through the app.

I'd have to say 3/4 of customers don't know that the driver has no insurance, and 3/4 don't care.

And when uber is taking a huge % of the fare the motivation to do it gets higher and higher.

SHalester

I carry 100/300 personal auto insurance and a 1 million dollar umbrella liability policy
I do as well, tho the umbrella is not active when I have a pax, or so the agent says. No biggie the other auto ins is, plus Uber's coverage. I'd rather have the insurance companies argue with each other vs having not enough or no insurance.........

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
About 50 miles outside the Seattle, in farm country heading towards the foothills of the mountains, we have this venue called the White River Amphitheatre. Cell reception out there is spotty, even on Verizon. There's a single highway going to and from this place.

Screenshot_20200101-185857_Maps.jpg

When a concert lets out, there's thousands of pax requesting rides all at once, plus hundreds of Ants. This is always when both Uber and Lyft apps become inaccessible to both drivers and riders.

If we are lucky enough to be able to receive a ride request, and accept it, we are on our own in locating our pax from the thousands of other pax. Our GPS wont work and neither will text or phone calls. You can't even get the app to work enough to cancel the pax until you drive about 7 miles out of the area.

It's at this point the pax become desperate, worried about being stranded way out in the boonies after 1:00 AM and begin walking up to any random car, U/L or just regular fellow concert goer and begin offering large amounts of cash for someone to just take them back to Seattle where they can for certain get an Uber home from there.

This is where the Ants with the square readers and/or cash takers begin making deals.

My one time working this venue, a woman tapped on my window during this chaos and offered me $100. cash to take her to west Seattle, a normally $45 fare for a ride that distance. I was about to say, "Hell yeah!" Why should I leave empty handed? But....there was just something about how she was looking at me awaiting my response. I had a gut feeling to say no. I always listen to my instincts when they are that strong, no matter how irrational it seems.

I told her I was sorry but its against Ubers terms to accept a cash ride. She gave me another strange look (pleased) and moved onto other Ants. Uber only. She bypassed 3 Lyft drivers to go talk to other Uber drivers. I saw her get in one of the cars. I left empty handed. Drove 50 miles all the way to Seattle with no fare and decided to try and salvage my night and work the bar rush.

My gut told me she was an Uber employee. We have an HQ2 here. Uber employees get in my car all the time. They have a certain aura about them. I've never been fooled by them before and I wasn't taking chances now.

I may have been completely wrong about her, but I lived to Ant another day.

goneubering

About 50 miles outside the Seattle, in farm country heading towards the foothills of the mountains, we have this venue called the White River Amphitheatre. Cell reception out there is spotty, even on Verizon. There's a single highway going to and from this place.

View attachment 396107

When a concert lets out, there's thousands of pax requesting rides all at once, plus hundreds of Ants. This is always when both Uber and Lyft apps become inaccessible to both drivers and riders.

If we are lucky enough to be able to receive a ride request, and accept it, we are on our own in locating our pax from the thousands of other pax. Our GPS wont work and neither will text or phone calls. You can't even get the app to work enough to cancel the pax until you drive about 7 miles out of the area.

It's at this point the pax become desperate, worried about being stranded way out in the boonies after 1:00 AM and begin walking up to any random car, U/L or just regular fellow concert goer and begin offering large amounts of cash for someone to just take them back to Seattle where they can for certain get an Uber home from there.

This is where the Ants with the square readers and/or cash takers begin making deals.

My one time working this venue, a woman tapped on my window during this chaos and offered me $100. cash to take her to west Seattle, a normally $45 fare for a ride that distance. I was about to say, "Hell yeah!" Why should I leave empty handed? But....there was just something about how she was looking at me awaiting my response. I had a gut feeling to say no. I always listen to my instincts when they are that strong, no matter how irrational it seems.

I told her I was sorry but its against Ubers terms to accept a cash ride. She gave me another strange look (pleased) and moved onto other Ants. Uber only. She bypassed 3 Lyft drivers to go talk to other Uber drivers. I saw her get in one of the cars. I left empty handed. Drove 50 miles all the way to Seattle with no fare and decided to try and salvage my night and work the bar rush.

My gut told me she was an Uber employee. We have an HQ2 here. Uber employees get in my car all the time. They have a certain aura about them. I've never been fooled by them before and I wasn't taking chances now.

I may have been completely wrong about her, but I lived to Ant another day.
Trust your gut feeling! You did good.