1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Black Ice Accident

Discussion in 'Stories' started by KoleUber2018, Dec 3, 2018 at 10:40 AM.

1. Seamus

Seamus

Driving:
    UberX
    Actually his first sentence said I need advice.

Not saying your wrong but I hope the worst doesn't happen. It sucks that your going through similar issues. Having an accident is every drivers worst nightmare. Creates a total mess to deal with.

I was rear ended on the way to pick up a pax. I am very thankful I didn't have a pax in my car. I was lucky in the sense I was rear ended, no pax, and it was a beer truck so it was a commercial company that hit me. Didn't even report the accident to Uber or my insurance company. The company that hit me paid for everything. Got lucky that time but every day we take a risk.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018 at 3:29 PM
    backstreets-trans likes this.
  2. I agree 100% with the post but he left out the worst part for the driver. Uber or any insurance company is going to low ball him on the value of his/her vehicle. So if you were driving a newer vehicle for Uber for a while then all those miles have depreciated your car faster than normal. With the insurance payoff on your totaled car you will be several thousand dollars upside down on your loan.

3. JustTreatMeFair

JustTreatMeFair

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    The ice on the road is something the driver should be aware of the possibility of and vigilant to avoid. Drivers can be better prepared for inclement weather by use of proper equipment, slowing down and being more aware.

If you are driving down the road and there is an unexpected obstacle that just bounced off a guard rail that comes back in the lane in front of you it is kind of difficult to prepare for that. No different than having the right of way and someone fails to yield and T-Bones you.

I know common sense eludes many here or they would not be so quick to defend practices designed to take advantage of the ignorant.

Wait! Where is that caucus of members that do not believe in depreciation? The group that believes people have no business driving a financed vehicle is certainly present.

4. Guilt by proxy does not exist with secondary accidents....I catm cite case law

5. dauction

dauction

UMM NO that isn't how it works ... the other cars Hit HIM...they will be ruled at fault for that part of the accident for FOLLOWING TO CLOSE .

His responsibility is His Vehicle and the Guardrail...That's what HE HIT

BTW..BLACKICE .. Just put on Toyo Winter Tires ..they have crushed Black walnut shells in the rubber compound..they walnut shells have a hardness about half that of diamonds (grips the ice).. I specifically purchased them because our winters have lots of black ice at intersections and roads
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018 at 7:07 PM
    Christinebitg likes this.
  6. DollarFree

DollarFree

Driving:
    UberX
    U didn’t lose control on black ice, u swerved to avoid something or someone, invent based on local conditions.

Attached Files:

8. Benjamin M

Benjamin M

My experience two weeks ago (not at fault), with injuries?

1. Uber called me after a few minutes when they detected a crash to start the report. I was dealing with responders and such so I called them later
    2. I completed both a verbal and written report of what happened
    3. I was contacted by Uber's local insurance provider, provided them a verbal report and sent photos. Because the other driver was at fault, their provider handled the claim
    4. My Uber account remained active although the car was suspended from the account
    5. Car was declared a total loss, bought a new one, added it, and drove Uber again.
    Definitely make sure you have rideshare insurance! In terms of my insurance company, no worries at all. "Hey, 86 the 2012 Civic and add this 2018!"

Hope you are doing okay, that must have been very scary.

9. LetsGoUber

LetsGoUber

Overkill much? Too bad for the OP this was one of the first comments.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 6:02 AM
    Benjamin M likes this.
  10. Benjamin M

Benjamin M

Agreed. Apart from the incredibly annoying language barrier, and redundant reports, it was no big deal.

"I was in an accident, my car was totaled and my rider was injured. I need to make a report. I was not injured. "

Later in the conversation - "so, once you have your car back from the shop.."

"My car is not in the shop, it's at a salvage yard."

"Mmm I see. Well if there was no damage to your vehicle and the passenger is okay.."

I about threw my phone out of the window lol.

Called last night to ask about a 1* rating and my first complaint ever, "rider comfort," and apparently it was from the accident two weeks ago (the pax). "Ahh yes, I see here that you were both hospitalized.." Pax had minor neck pain and was released from the ER, I was not injured at all. The language barrier is unbelievably bad.

Fortunately, the rep I spoke with last night was amazing. Hard to understand her, granted, but she said that it really bothers her when riders file complaints about drivers that are either not true or not warranted. She wanted to take action against the pax but I don't see the point of that, neither of us planned to be in a wreck. But she did file a report to have the complaint and 1* removed.

Christinebitg likes this.
  11. Seamus

Seamus

Driving:
    UberX
    Glad the system worked for you. If you are going to get hit the best is always rear ended both from a safety and clear fault perspective.

Benjamin M likes this.
  12. If everyone must know:

I have liability insurance so Uber insurance won't pay for the damages. Though they'll take care of the other people's damages if necessary.

As for my car... It's totaled but the outcome could have been worse.

Sucks though... That car meant alot to me.

backstreets-trans likes this.
  13. Thanks for the update,

I had a similar accident with a different app company. My car was only 2 years old so I would of been over 5 grand upside down because of the accident. I was doubling up on my car payments for this reason and ended up $1400 out of pocket after the accident.

I was able to take a defenseless driving class to get rid of my failure to maintain control ticket I received. That company removed me from the platform but without anything on my driving record I can still work for the other app companies.

Good Luck but this is a reminder to others that the risk is not really worth the reward at these low of a rate.

Rakos likes this.