1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Black Ice Accident

Discussion in 'Stories' started by KoleUber2018, Dec 3, 2018 at 10:40 AM.

1. I need advice (of course)

I just had a bad accident while Uber driving.

I was taking two people to the airport until I hit some black ice. Lost control of the car and hit the rail of the bridge... But then we get hit again by a different car... And then again by a different car. And then one last time minutes later (after the two passengers jumped ship).

I already filed an accident report with Uber and was wondering what happen next.

Kole

tohunt4me likes this.
  2. Advice?

Get your car fixed.

tohunt4me likes this.
  3. JustTreatMeFair

JustTreatMeFair

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    After reporting it to Uber and the first thing you will see will be your driver account get de-activated while the accident is "investigated".

You will need to make a report to Uber's Insurance Company to get the process started for car repairs and any injury claim you have.

You will be directed to a repair facility you will owe the first $1000 towards any repairs made.

They will NOT pay for a rental while your vehicle is being repaired.

You have the option of reporting it to your Insurance Company but unless you carry Ride Share Insurance with YOUR Insurance Carrier you will probably see your Insurance Canceled. The majority of Insurance companies strictly prohibit the use of your personal vehicle for commercial purposes which is what ride share is.

So now you are owing $1,000, can't drive for Uber, don't have a vehicle and waiting on the results of their investigation.

You hit Black Ice and impacted a Rail. This will almost definitely be determined to be your fault with the reasoning being that you were negligent in being aware of existing hazardous conditions. You could/should have adjusted your driving (slower, more cautious, snow tires, etc) to account for those conditions.

Your vehicle is getting fixed but at this point, with fault laid on you, UBER'S insurance does not cover YOU for any of your personal injuries. Nor will your Insurance Company because they are probably already terminating your policy.

Can it get worse?

Of course.

You hit a rail and became an obstacle for each of the vehicles that hit you afterwards. They are going to file claims. If they have your personal insurance company information as a result of the police report or you exchanging information your personal insurance company will need to know the UBER connection and they will try to deflect it to UBER's

Someone most likely got hurt and there is a MILLION dollar Liability Policy in play so be prepared to be named in a civil Law Suit along with UBER, UBER's Insurance Company and Your Insurance Company that information. If they do not have it up front expect to be deposed on it.

If/When YOUR Insurance Carrier terminates you your defense in the matter will be left to you to pay for.

In the mean time, since you are desperate for cash flow to deal with your mounting financial and medical issues, if you drive for LYFT know that THEIR Deductible is $2,500 and the same experience awaits you.

A few weeks into this be prepared for depression, the need for treatment and meds for that followed possibly by Bankruptcy. Re-post at that point and I'll explain what happens then to you.

Ever hear the phrase "Doubling Down on Stupid"? That's what continuing to drive ride share at this point means to you.

Oh Yeah...... You, most likely, will never see your account re-activated. There were just too many others involved and there is going to be a very expensive pay-out for Uber's insurance carrier.

All of this makes a National Database the Insurance Companies see and you can expect your cost for insurance in the future to increase 60% or more.

Maybe Bicycle delivery of food is still possible? I have no experience with that.

4. guffy515255

guffy515255

Lol that is harsh man! Id be lying if I said it didnt make me laugh out loud though. I hope the OP had rideshare insurance through their own carrier. Or the reality of this post will be realized very quick and painfully.

tohunt4me likes this.
  5. JustTreatMeFair

JustTreatMeFair

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Reality is often harsh. I'm wondering how many will not realize, as you did, that it was an accurate description of the coming experience.

tohunt4me, mrpjfresh and Merc7186 like this.
  6. dauction

dauction

Bs..The other vehicles hit him

tohunt4me and IthurstwhenIP like this.
  7. guffy515255

guffy515255

So far we have a count of 1 lol

tohunt4me likes this.
  8. Seamus

Seamus

Driving:
    UberX
    Not farfetched but certainly the extreme. Let's hope for a little better than doomsday for the OP, he's already having a bad day. Sounds like you are trying to push him over the edge! Asked for advice and you are trying to get him to jump!

tohunt4me likes this.
  9. Jokes on them, I already filed bankruptcy

Reality though, first drive is not responsible for subsequent accidents

tohunt4me likes this.
  10. theMezz

theMezz

Driving:
    UberX
    in NYS we cannot buy rideshare insurance and add it to our own policy

11. AuxCordBoston

AuxCordBoston

0D53A906-CEB1-4908-8991-094928753F67.png
    Uber’s insurance during stage 3 (rider in car) will have coverage for the driver (bodily and damage). Also, even though he may not have a ride share policy, some insurance cos will not drop you (Liberty). They just won’t cover you.

12. Gtown Driver

Gtown Driver

Driving:
    Lyft
    Well at least JustTreat broke down every possible worst case scenario so at least you know if you go through anything less you'll be thankful and prepared.

13. Rakos

Rakos

Driving:
    UberXL
    Wow...just wow....

Why make it so hard....???

Contact your insurance company...

And if someone else was at fault...

Their insurance pays...

Uber only gets involved if pax are injured...

Plus they wont let you drive damaged...

You do need to report it tho...

If no injuries then just minor accident...

Hope you had your dashcam going...8>O

Good Luck!

Rakos
    Copy of 3868420702.jpg

massey and Gtown Driver like this.
  14. JustTreatMeFair

JustTreatMeFair

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    AFTER HE hit a guardrail and became an obstacle in the road they could not avoid. He is at fault.

No. He did not ask for advice. Read the post. He asked what happens next.

AFTER HE hit a guardrail and became an obstacle in the road they could not avoid. He is at fault.

Wanna wager?

Read that again. Driver is ONLY covered for personal injury if it is determined that he is not at fault. Once again, wanna wager?

I am currently living through one of these scenarios myself and speak from relevant recent experience.

15. Merc7186

Merc7186

Driving:
    UberXL
    You absolutely Do Not Do That....the moment you mention Uber on the phone, the only thing you will hear is a dial tone because your insurance carrier just dropped you.

I know you are newer to this but everytime you turn the app on, you run a HUGE risk in NYS. There is no backup plan for us, once Ubers Insurance stops returning your phone calls, you are officially done. No more car, no more insurance, no more rideshare.

You are just one of 1000s of ants in upstate who dont have any clue on the liability you carry driving U/L.

Uber On.

Sorry KoleUber2018KoleUber2018 but JustTreatMeFare is right. Reality Sucks.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018 at 2:12 PM
    Rakos likes this.
  16. AuxCordBoston

AuxCordBoston

Can you share with us what happened?

17. Gee, I hate reality threads. Not fun.
    I’m going back to the “can I make a living doing uber” Thread

Merc7186 and Seamus like this.
  18. Joe Dow

Joe Dow

All what you said are true facts. we dont know how many have become victims to Rideshare after accidents.

Just want to ask you about the risks if one is in an accident while he/she

- has rideshare insurance add on like Progressive

or

- was doing Ubereats

Thanks!

backstreets-trans likes this.
  19. life43

life43

Hopefully, you were logged into your app. lol

tohunt4me likes this.
  20. Do what your telling me is other drivers wre not driving according to conditions barring themselves s from avoiding an obstacle.... wrong

tohunt4me likes this.