• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Bizzaro non-uber pickup of an ax murderer last night

NorCalPhil

I'm driving home late on 680 from San Jose. I get a ping ahead on the overpass. No address, just a pin smack in the middle of the overpass. Interesting. I take it.

I get off 680, loop around to go over the overpass and see a girl walking looking at her phone. That must be her, there isn't anybody else around hanging out on the overpass. I make a U-turn and pull up next to her with the window rolled down. "Did you request a ride"

"Oh yes, thank you" - she jumps in. Mind you, there are no other cars around, no pedestrians, it's quiet. Toooo quiet.

I start the ride and start following the nav and notice that she's got google maps on her phone, and the directions coming from the back seat don't match what's coming from my nav. I cancel the Waze nav and go back to the Uber app to start nav again, because gremlins.

"Where are you going?" I ask her - "just a few blocks" she says. Well my nav says 15 miles...

The phone rings, its an 800 number, and not the usual Uber in-ride number I see. I decline. 20 seconds later it rings again. Same number. I answer.

Did you pick up Beatrice? the phone voice asks.

I think so, hold on... nope, I've got Bernice. I'm pulling over.

All the things that make me think the pickup was the passenger (looking at phone, walking towards car, "thanks for the ride", etc) matched up with my normal experience driving for Uber, so I didn't confirm the name. Damn.

Long story short, I picked up a girl with a similar name, the only person even remotely near the pickup spot. Someone who was looking at her phone, following google maps to WALK to her friends house, at 11:30pm. She thought I was offering here a ride. She'd never used Uber. CRAP.

The uber request was made by someone else, with the location put near where her friend got into a car accident of some sort. Never saw that accident or the rider, before or after the overpass.

Ended up contacting support to refund the ride. Drove the girl to her friends house with the app off. She gave me $2, and did not bury a hatchet into the back of my head.

Only tip I got in nearly 20 rides last night. Oh, and don't forget to confirm rider names.

narco

Only tip I got in nearly 20 rides last night
it wasn't a tip it was your total for the ride.

experience drivers that still fall on the basics shown you way you need a system.

my "system" for pickup is :
1.hi what's your name?
2.can you please tell me where you going? i need to verify

this way i can make sure i got the correct riders, and that they don't go too far(i can easily cancel if it for out of city)

NorCalPhil

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My total for the ride was $0. It was a tip, she wasn't required to pay a fare or give me anything.

this way i can make sure i got the correct riders, and that they don't go too far(i can easily cancel if it for out of city)
So you're the driver who my passengers complain about because they can't get a ride out of the city. Nice to meet you, and thanks!

crazy916

So you're the driver who my passengers complain about because they can't get a ride out of the city. Nice to meet you, and thanks!
I am one too. If rates were better and 1.5x meter for anything outside the city or 15 miles from SFO whichever is farther like taxis, I would have no problem leaving the city. Currently leaving the city is a no win situation and I will not do it.

NorCalPhil

I am one too. If rates were better and 1.5x meter for anything outside the city or 15 miles from SFO whichever is farther like taxis, I would have no problem leaving the city. Currently leaving the city is a no win situation and I will not do it.
I used to think that too. I crunched my ride numbers (~600 rides) and found that while the rides last about the same amount of time in SF as opposed to out of the city, the distance traveled is much further in my out of SF rides. The lower rate over higher mileage tends to equal or exceed the higher rate over lower mileage in SF. Boost/Surge plays into that too, but as a whole my experience has been that seat time and payout are pretty equal regardless of where I drive.

That said, I only drive part time, so I'm not chasing 60 or 70 rides every 3/4 days. If I was after ride numbers SF-only is a pretty good strategy. Last night I did 17 trips in about 4 hours, only two rides outside of the city (one going there[1], one leaving[17]). Lots of pool and short trips. No boost, no surge. $33 an hour after fees (not expenses).

Working and Driving

The whole thing sounds weird. So some random girl jumps in your car not knowing who you are? The right girl's name was 'Beatrice' and the wrong girl was 'Bernice'?

A call from an 800 number is really strange, not to mention the story he told you. Sounds really fishy, you're lucky you didn't end up with that hatchet...

I'm driving home late on 680 from San Jose. I get a ping ahead on the overpass. No address, just a pin smack in the middle of the overpass. Interesting. I take it.

I get off 680, loop around to go over the overpass and see a girl walking looking at her phone. That must be her, there isn't anybody else around hanging out on the overpass. I make a U-turn and pull up next to her with the window rolled down. "Did you request a ride"

"Oh yes, thank you" - she jumps in. Mind you, there are no other cars around, no pedestrians, it's quiet. Toooo quiet.

I start the ride and start following the nav and notice that she's got google maps on her phone, and the directions coming from the back seat don't match what's coming from my nav. I cancel the Waze nav and go back to the Uber app to start nav again, because gremlins.

"Where are you going?" I ask her - "just a few blocks" she says. Well my nav says 15 miles...

The phone rings, its an 800 number, and not the usual Uber in-ride number I see. I decline. 20 seconds later it rings again. Same number. I answer.

All the things that make me think the pickup was the passenger (looking at phone, walking towards car, "thanks for the ride", etc) matched up with my normal experience driving for Uber, so I didn't confirm the name. Damn.

Long story short, I picked up a girl with a similar name, the only person even remotely near the pickup spot. Someone who was looking at her phone, following google maps to WALK to her friends house, at 11:30pm. She thought I was offering here a ride. She'd never used Uber. CRAP.

The uber request was made by someone else, with the location put near where her friend got into a car accident of some sort. Never saw that accident or the rider, before or after the overpass.

Ended up contacting support to refund the ride. Drove the girl to her friends house with the app off. She gave me $2, and did not bury a hatchet into the back of my head.

Only tip I got in nearly 20 rides last night. Oh, and don't forget to confirm rider names.

NorCalPhil

The whole thing sounds weird. So some random girl jumps in your car not knowing who you are? The right girl's name was 'Beatrice' and the wrong girl was 'Bernice'?

A call from an 800 number is really strange, not to mention the story he told you. Sounds really fishy, you're lucky you didn't end up with that hatchet...
Bernice and Beatrice are made up names. The actual names were similar in how close they were to each other.
It was all odd. She was just walking along the overpass carrying a bag of tortillas and her phone. She thought I said "Need a ride" or something similar and I think she was just thankful to get off the dark street.

Lord of ricks

yeah i think SF used to be a more profitable proposition but not any longer. i actually do better in berkeley than sf

6%;3htî

experience drivers that still fall on the basics shown you way you need a system.

my "system" for pickup is :
1.hi what's your name?
2.can you please tell me where you going? i need to verify

tell me your scenario for cancelling if too far out the city

If passenger calls you it's not an 800 number. Ever

Ms Stein Fanboy

My total for the ride was $0. It was a tip, she wasn't required to pay a fare or give me anything.

And here's another yr welcome. I tell them all not to worry cuz you will be around soon to take them. Yet they still get upset most of the time. And even say things like "u shouldn't be an Uber driver". "Well that's just, like, yr opinion man."

I used to think that too. I crunched my ride numbers (~600 rides) and found that while the rides last about the same amount of time in SF as opposed to out of the city, the distance traveled is much further in my out of SF rides. The lower rate over higher mileage tends to equal or exceed the higher rate over lower mileage in SF. Boost/Surge plays into that too, but as a whole my experience has been that seat time and payout are pretty equal regardless of where I drive.

That said, I only drive part time, so I'm not chasing 60 or 70 rides every 3/4 days. If I was after ride numbers SF-only is a pretty good strategy. Last night I did 17 trips in about 4 hours, only two rides outside of the city (one going there[1], one leaving[17]). Lots of pool and short trips. No boost, no surge. $33 an hour after fees (not expenses).
You didn't do $33/hr with no boost or surge. Unless you had some long strings of back to back, 5minute from request to drop off minimum fares. Maybe yr calculator wants u to be happy, or maybe you didn't use one. I also had a 17 ride day Tue ir Wed in about 4.5hrs with boosts and surge and made around 33/hr. 33/hr for 4hrs is $132, close to my night with boosts and surge. Lots of pool and short trips. And it was exceptional. Without boost and surge, not so good.

tohunt4me

Customer scam