Bit by a dog. (Pictures) ((not graphic))

John McYeet

So earlier this week I was delivering to a rural house. Everything started normal. I pulled up the driveway (which wasn’t very long) closer to the front door. Got out of the car with the envelope and got to the front door. Set it down, took a picture and started walking back to my car.

As I was walking back to my car two dogs came out from behind the house. One was barking and the other wasn’t. The one that was barking, an Australian Shepard, approached me and suddenly started to attack my leg. Luckily he/she only bit me twice but it was enough to leave a good bite mark and hurt.

I was able to get in my car and drive away and call flex support about the incident. Hopefully this article will shed a little light on those who wonder if amazon would cover us for such incident. After I was transferred and contacted by several “higher up flex managers” I was informed that amazon WOULD pay for any medical costs that are out of pocket which was nice to know. Other than that I think we’re on our own. Even if I were to get hurt bad enough to not be able to work I think that would require some sort of lawsuit on the owner of the dogs.

Im thankful I was able to get away with just some bite marks and no ER visit since I don’t have my own personal health insurance. I don’t blame the dogs as much as I’d blame the owners for not knowing their dogs were capable of doing this AND ordering amazon putting potential deliverers at risk. I’m sure everyone would have handled it differently but in the heat of the moment this is what I did and I hope now some of you know the extent of what amazon will cover.
88ACA532-2846-472D-813B-D1C6E0761D00.jpeg
4F8F8773-D045-4B4E-87BD-A2B59DEB547F.jpeg
C2245849-0D3F-4148-83CD-AAF2721CA8B8.jpeg

kingcorey321

first thing you do call the police . second go to the hospital . police will check and seize the dog that bit you to put it in containment and check to see if it has rabies .They will hold the dog for 14 days usually to make sure the dog does not go rabbid
This a process that needs to be done for any animal attack . So now you have no idea if this dog is rabbid and you need to get a full course of shots that could potentially save your life.
I am not here to cause fear i am here to tell you the steps that a person needs to take .
https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/what-is-rabies#1 . Yes i would of called 911 ( help i was bit by a dog !)
odds of this dog having rabies ? i think 1 in 100 ? or 1000 ?

KK2929

So earlier this week I was delivering to a rural house. Everything started normal. I pulled up the driveway (which wasn’t very long) closer to the front door. Got out of the car with the envelope and got to the front door. Set it down, took a picture and started walking back to my car.

As I was walking back to my car two dogs came out from behind the house. One was barking and the other wasn’t. The one that was barking, an Australian Shepard, approached me and suddenly started to attack my leg. Luckily he/she only bit me twice but it was enough to leave a good bite mark and hurt.

I was able to get in my car and drive away and call flex support about the incident. Hopefully this article will shed a little light on those who wonder if amazon would cover us for such incident. After I was transferred and contacted by several “higher up flex managers” I was informed that amazon WOULD pay for any medical costs that are out of pocket which was nice to know. Other than that I think we’re on our own. Even if I were to get hurt bad enough to not be able to work I think that would require some sort of lawsuit on the owner of the dogs.

Im thankful I was able to get away with just some bite marks and no ER visit since I don’t have my own personal health insurance. I don’t blame the dogs as much as I’d blame the owners for not knowing their dogs were capable of doing this AND ordering amazon putting potential deliverers at risk. I’m sure everyone would have handled it differently but in the heat of the moment this is what I did and I hope now some of you know the extent of what amazon will cover.
View attachment 410228 View attachment 410229 View attachment 410230
-------------------------
You should call animal control and report the incident, also, call the police. They will probably refer you to animal control.
The dog is dangerous and should not be running lose. There is a lot of bruising and will be very sore for several days.

tohunt4me

Rabies Shots have come down in cost . . .

Attachments

Fuzzyelvis

If you have no health insurance then it is ALL out of pocket, is it not? Did you point that out to Amazon?

I've been bitten and it was a lot worse than that. Is there a puncture wound? I can't tell.

I'm actually on antibiotics for a cat bite right now. Took about 2 hours from the bite to know it was infected. The first antibiotic I was on didn't work. Was a small bite on one finger and I couldn't use my hand for days.

Dog bites don't get infected as easily but if it gets a lot more painful and/or swells up/@@@@@, etc. make sure you get treatment if you haven't already. (Unless it's a big dog, I'd rather a dog bite than a cat any day).

Chance of rabies is slim but you should report it ASAP so that if you end up with complications/miss work etc. you're in a position to sue the owner. The dog can be quarantined at their home generally, but either way they need to learn to keep it from running loose.

I used to have a dog that was an badly abused rescue and we knew she would bite if given a chance. She was never out except on a leash and kenneled if we had a visitor. I don't blame the dog, it's the stupid owners at fault.
Post automatically merged:

first thing you do call the police . second go to the hospital . police will check and seize the dog that bit you to put it in containment and check to see if it has rabies .They will hold the dog for 14 days usually to make sure the dog does not go rabbid
This a process that needs to be done for any animal attack . So now you have no idea if this dog is rabbid and you need to get a full course of shots that could potentially save your life.
I am not here to cause fear i am here to tell you the steps that a person needs to take .
https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/what-is-rabies#1 . Yes i would of called 911 ( help i was bit by a dog !)
odds of this dog having rabies ? i think 1 in 100 ? or 1000 ?
A lot less than that. Rabies is very unlikely in a pet dog as most will have had AT LEAST one shot at some point and rabies shots last a long time. Plus there's a lot less rabies out there in most areas than people think.

IR12

Rural automatically = dogs 🐕. It’s the most common & cheapest alarm system.

Wildgoose

Report that incident to Local health department. The health department officer will give night mare to the owner. Owner should learn.

GrumpZilla

1) Carry a few dog treats. Throw it at them when they are near.
2) If that doesn't distract them pepper spray them in the nose. It works better than the eyes for dogs. I've done this twice now, it works.
3) Call the police. Call amazon.

Cdub2k

I was able to get in my car and drive away and call flex support about the incident...…......…..
Sorry about your misfortune and I'm glad that it was a small bite but I'm pretty sure you were supposed to stay on the scene and call 911. That's if you were going to press charges on the dog owners.

Iann

OP could of been paid.

I was bitten by my neighbors dog a few years back.
Didn't break the skin and I got under $5k from his Home owners insurance.

I could only imagine the payday if you're bitten and it breaks the skin.