• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Beware Uber drivers of being ticketed @ 10567$

Bill s

In recent months more than 150 drivers have been ticketed @10567$
Because they were not having commercial plates also due to that their vehicles were not registered in City records.
Now Uber woke up and is sending mails to all drivers to get commercial plates.Now when you guys go to registry to get commercial plate half of them say u need only one plate that is comm. Half of them say u need 2 plates. If u ask Uber rep at green hub they say to follow registry
Instructions.
My humble advice to all drivers is whenever u guys are done with commercial plate and updated Uber
about it and u get your app activated after a few days from Uber Please call city at 311 and tell them that u r
Uber driver with so and so number plate (livery)And request to check wheather u r registered with them.Uber rep. himself told me to do so To make sure u guys are not ticketed again inspite of having Livery plate but still not registered in City record.If city confirms that u r plate is registered in their records
Then u guys are assured and nobody can touch u.

Bill s

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Two bylaw tickets @5000$ for not being registered in city's records
One ticket @567$ for not having livery plate
Because we all were not having Livery plates so we were not registered in City records
Those who got tickets were unfortunate.
Those who are not ticketed yet are at the risk . So make sure to confirm city
About it after getting Livery plate.

Greg888

Thanks for your reply Bill. I can't believe how screwed up this is. Just unbelievable that we are put at risk like this, not given the necessary information to figure it out ourselves. Those are serious fines. They would completely wipe you out, and you wouldn't be able to renew your drivers license till you paid up.

Bill s

These bylaw tickets have no effect on your licence and u need not pay them
Uber Lawyer takes care of them
Basically these all tickets will be cancelled by court most probably because these are issued due to misunderstanding between Uber and City.As Uber says drivers documents sent to city we're not Updated by city in their records.Even if these tickets are not cancelled Uber will pay them for All drivers it is their policy any bylaw ticket is paid by UberAnd drivers can still drive inspite of being ticketed asUber
Policy.

BGL

In recent months more than 150 drivers have been ticketed @10567$
Because they were not having commercial plates also due to that their vehicles were not registered in City records.
That's a lot of drivers! Curious -- where did this information come from?

Bill s

This news was published on edmonton journalAlso Uber guys at green hub
Confirm it A couple of my friends got these tickets

BGL

Thanks Bill, and yes I saw that Journal story.

My question could have been clearer — I read your original post to say 150+ drivers have been fined $10,567 each. That's over $1.5 million in total!

Did you hear that all those 150+ drivers got fines like that, or did I misread your post?

How about your two friends — did they receive these huge fines? And were they stopped at random, or for some other infraction, or...?

Bill s

These tickets are being given since last july when Uber restarted in Edmonton. My friends got ticketed @10567$. in august.
They took their tickets to Uber office.The Uber rep. took tickets and forwarded to their lawyer. And said all Bylaw tickets
are dealt by Uber .No worries for drivers . Also told them at that point 57 tickets were issued. And drivers could still drive
and if they got ticketed again they can bring those tickets also to Uber. After that recently the above said news came in
Edmonton journal. And recently Uber started sending e mails regarding commmercial plate. So obviously all drivers were
being ticketed for the same reason and the same amount as told by the cops to my friends that is their number plate is not
registered in City records.The cops are still doing their job.
So be safe and check your status with city by calling 311 after getting commercial Livery plate.

Id481

Looks like we have no choice but to get commercial livery plate on our own expense.

So we can keep our own plate under the private insurance (for me it's RBC) and when we drive for Uber we need to put the livery plate which I assume will be covered by the Uber insurance (that can be accedes from the driver app) ?

Billyboi

Looks like we have no choice but to get commercial livery plate on our own expense.

So we can keep our own plate under the private insurance (for me it's RBC) and when we drive for Uber we need to put the livery plate which I assume will be covered by the Uber insurance (that can be accedes from the driver app) ?
Registration/Licence plates and Vehicle Insurance are two separate issues that are not linked. When you are driving for Uber and have logged on to the app then you and passengers are covered by Uber's Insurance. In addition you are required to have a Livery/commercial registration and licence plate. This is a Provincial requirement.

When you are driving for personal purposes you need your personal insurance and technically a personal registration and plate. But since its supposedly incorrect to display two plates and inconvenient to be continuously switching plates, the whole issue remains to be resolved by the Province. Don't hold your breathe on that.
I suspect most drivers will just use the Livery plate at all times and argue over the inconsistencies if they ever get charged for an offence and have to go to court.
Do notify your personal insurance company that you drive for Uber and they will issue you an endorsement to that effect, the cost varies but is about $120 per year. It is NOT commercial insurance, that is provided by Uber at no cost to you. You can see the policy details in the driver app.
This way you are covered under all circumstances. As I said above, the vehicle registration/Licence plate is a separate issue.

Bill s

Updated
I contacted Alberta govt. office at 7804277013/7804272731
They say now every uber driver need
Only one plate that is livery 1-55. For both uber as well as personal use
This change is effective since last Friday
Is was general opinion that two plate concept is not practical and is illegal
All registries also asking now for one plate

Billyboi

Updated
I contacted Alberta govt. office at 7804277013/7804272731
They say now every uber driver need
Only one plate that is livery 1-55. For both uber as well as personal use
This change is effective since last Friday
Is was general opinion that two plate concept is not practical and is illegal
All registries also asking now for one plate

Thanks for the update Bill. That finally makes sense.

Bill s

Yes they will take your old plate make sure u get some receipt from them.But before that I would suggest to call Alberta govt number given above to cross check and also call a couple of reg before surrendering your plate

ladydriven

This should never have been an issue . Uber should have done their job and had this all figured out right away when the province made its ruling Uber should have told driver a long time ago about them needing commercial plates its part of them doing business in this province. Drivers shouldnot have had to figure it out for themselves. I applaud the drivers that did and then shared the info but again thats why uber is getting 25% of what you make its their job.