Beware! Taxi police sting at LaGuardia airport. Do not pickup without proper license!

clover40

An undercover TLC agent solicited a ride from me after I dropped off at LaGuardia airport on 5/6/19. I thought I was helping a guy out, I didn't actually want to take him, but of course they busted me. I'm facing $2000 fine and revocation of my license. Do not pick up in NYC 5 boroughs if you don't have a TLC license!!!!

swathdiver

Those are new rules right, need a TLC now and approved vehicle? Uber says process is 4-6 weeks to get back on the road. Liberty under fire as always in the Big Apple.

aluber1968

An undercover TLC agent solicited a ride from me after I dropped off at LaGuardia airport on 5/6/19. I thought I was helping a guy out, I didn't actually want to take him, but of course they busted me. I'm facing $2000 fine and revocation of my license. Do not pick up in NYC 5 boroughs if you don't have a TLC license!!!!
There was obviously a conversation of money between the 2 of you.
I am a TLC licensed driver with TLC plates. We are not allowed to pick up without a request through Lyft or uber. They do the same thing to us too. Trying to solicit a cash trip.
Never try to pick up in LaGuardia or JFK without a dispatch. Since you are not a NYC driver, you will not receive a request.
There are attorneys that specialize in TLC court.

Seamus

Experienced NYC Suburb drivers and Northern NJ drivers know full well they are always doing these stings and they can be very aggressive in trying to get you to take a ride. Even TLC guys get it as they are not allowed to "street hail".

You must be pretty new. The only people they get are new people who don't realize how easy this is to get caught or people too greedy to resist temptation. You'r lucky they didn't also tow your car away. Unfortunately this is going to be an expensive lesson for you. Wether you get a lawyer or not the outcome is most likely the same. You will be going to Kangaroo court where they will probably offer you the chance to plead guilty and pay a reduced $750 fine. Otherwise, you will go before the judge and quickly be found guilty and pay the full fine. Should take about 2 minutes.

Last edited:

WokeUP

There was obviously a conversation of money between the 2 of you.
I am a TLC licensed driver with TLC plates. We are not allowed to pick up without a request through Lyft or uber. They do the same thing to us too. Trying to solicit a cash trip.
Never try to pick up in LaGuardia or JFK without a dispatch. Since you are not a NYC driver, you will not receive a request.
There are attorneys that specialize in TLC court.
Not for this blatant infraction. It’s a lose lose for you.