• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Beware scheduled trips!

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
Yesterday around 5:10 am I got a trip request...scheduled trip! Oh goodie, I thought, I'm going to the airport! It took me 5 minutes to arrive at the residence.

When I got there all the lights in the house were dark and there was no one outside. After several minutes I called (there was no text option) to see if the requester still needed a ride. His wife answered and said she would get him. He said something like "my whole household has awoken" and that the scheduled trip was for 5:30.

I then looked down and saw that indeed, the scheduled trip was fpr 5:30. I had arrived a full 15 minutes "early". I didn't Cancel - Rider No Show because on spring break it's slim pickings, and I like airport trips. I ended up waiting a total of 20 minutes past the initial 2 minute timer. We departed at 5:35.

I ended up getting $5 in wait time fees that I may not have otherwise gotten, and the guy was nice about it, but the lesson is: beware scheduled trips! If you arrive and the house is dark, you might want to either cancel or wait quietly.

Uber Crack

Author
Yesterday around 5:10 am I got a trip request...scheduled trip! Oh goodie, I thought, I'm going to the airport! It took me 5 minutes to arrive at the residence.

When I got there all the lights in the house were dark and there was no one outside. After several minutes I called (there was no text option) to see if the requester still needed a ride. His wife answered and said she would get him. He said something like "my whole household has awoken" and that the scheduled trip was for 5:30.

I then looked down and saw that indeed, the scheduled trip was fpr 5:30. I had arrived a full 15 minutes "early". I didn't Cancel - Rider No Show because on spring break it's slim pickings, and I like airport trips. I ended up waiting a total of 20 minutes past the initial 2 minute timer. We departed at 5:35.

I ended up getting $5 in wait time fees that I may not have otherwise gotten, and the guy was nice about it, but the lesson is: beware scheduled trips! If you arrive and the house is dark, you might want to either cancel or wait quietly.
Sorry that happened to you, but good to have the heads up :smiles:

RideshareUSA

Classic error, MadTown.
Next time you'll know to be more discreet. Skip the phone call and HONK the horn instead.... repeatedly....'till the gleeful pax appears. You can thank me later!

BigRedDriver

Had the same thing earlier this week. Saw it was a scheduled trip when I accepted but didn’t realize I’d be showing up 15 minutes early.

The guy came out after roughly 8 minutes. I apologized for being so early and he said something about being warned, by Uber, that the driver may show up early.

kdyrpr

That's the difference between the guy requesting the ride conventionally as opposed to doing it through the scheduled "feature". Scheduled simply starts the process automatically well before the ride is needed to insure someone will accept it.

Plenty of customer complaints however of being reminded via text a bunch of times concerning their "scheduled ride" and drivers cancelling.

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Had the same thing earlier this week. Saw it was a scheduled trip when I accepted but didn’t realize I’d be showing up 15 minutes early.

The guy came out after roughly 8 minutes. I apologized for being so early and he said something about being warned, by Uber, that the driver may show up early.
The app did not tell me what time the trip was scheduled for until I arrived at the pickup. If I recall. But once I got there and saw it I was like oh crap.

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
I think that it would be really easy for Uber/Lyft to show us the scheduled time in addition to the other info on the request. Why make both your rider and driver unhappy?
Because drivers who have the attention span of a flea will cancel immediately instead of driving to the pin and being on the hook. Quite honestly I don't mind waiting a few minutes with the engine off.

Stav53

I think that it would be really easy for Uber/Lyft to show us the scheduled time in addition to the other info on the request. Why make both your rider and driver unhappy?
Lyft does show the scheduled time. Uber has no scheduled pick ups in my area.
Gotta love the Lyft scheduled pick ups. 90% of the time all goes smoothly . Just make sure you're not too early though.
and oh if no show, Lyft requires you call the passenger before tap the "No show" button and if no answer you get $10 cancellation fee (more often than not).

PioneerXi

I do the early AM shift and have been receiving scheduled rides. Arriving at a rural address for a 5.00am pick up in the dark of winter. Driving up the dirt road to the house, lights start popping on. I pull up, some guy exits the house in his pajamas.

Not the ride requester, who lived two properties east. Woke a family up for no reason cause of the real rider couldn't place the pin correctly.

Took the $3.75 though.

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
I do the early AM shift and have been receiving scheduled rides. Arriving at a rural address for a 5.00am pick up in the dark of winter. Driving up the dirt road to the house, lights start popping on. I pull up, some guy exits the house in his pajamas.

Not the ride requester, who lived two properties east. Woke a family up for no reason cause of the real rider couldn't place the pin correctly.

Took the $3.75 though.
Why didn't you go to the real requester? Trip probably would have been at least $10. Worried about a bad rating? That's a fair reason.

SJCorolla

I had a couple of those not too long ago; both of them airport runs during the wee hours. Likewise there was no indication when I accepted that they were scheduled trips -- not until I arrived and saw the pickup was not for another 15-20 minutes. I texted anyway, counted down the 5 minutes, then cancelled and left ... I had no intention of waiting that long when I could get another pickup in the meantime.

Hey, not my fault that Uber dispatches the driver only a few minutes away at 3:35 am for a 4:00 am pickup. If I'd known, I would not have accepted. I messaged Uber support about it afterwards and have not received any scheduled trips like that since.

Sconnie

I really hate the ones where my ETA is past the scheduled pickup window. I had a stacked ping last week where they kept trying to call me while I was completing a current trip. After I dropped my pax off at the airport I see the pickup is on the west side. They sent me a message saying they ordered their pickup for 5:00 and that I need to “drive faster”. It was 4:50 something at that point and there was no way the ride could’ve gone well so of course I canceled.

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
The post above illustrates why Uber sends out the request early. They can't accurately predict how many drivers will be available, and willing, to accept the request at X o'clock.

RideshareUSA

Took the $3.75 though.
LLLLLOOOOOOLLLLLL😅😂🤣😆

goneubering

The post above illustrates why Uber sends out the request early. They can't accurately predict how many drivers will be available, and willing, to accept the request at X o'clock.
Then they shouldn’t wait until 15 minutes (or whatever the time is) before assigning the ride!!

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
Then they shouldn’t wait until 15 minutes (or whatever the time is) before assigning the ride!!
But then if they send it out too early you get situations like my OP. To me the bottom line is Scheduled Trip ends up in misunderstandings. Most pax are shocked to learn that I didn't get a notification the night before, and that I had no idea they needed a ride until I accepted the ping just now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The Gift of Fish Stories 0
EaglesFan Philadelphia 10
Hugh J Boston 19