Better to cancel and ignore a fake "therapy dog" request, or report it?

yojimboguy

I guess Ill find out because i reported it. First thing I knew after pax opened the door was someone sniffing my ear, which turned out to be a small terrier.

I told the woma she couldn't have a dog in my car, and she said ubers have to carry dogs. And i said no again, and then she said it wars a "therapy dog". So i asked what service its been trained to perform, and her answer was "to be a therapy dog". So i told her to remove the dog and she canceled.

Good news is i have the exchange on my dash cam.

But i wonder if i was just asking for trouble by reporting it? It was such a clearly bogus claim thay id guess she never would have reported me, and maybe ill buy myself a 48 hour suspension while uber investigates. Or... Maybe uber won't do anything without a complaint from her.

PrestonT

I guess Ill find out because i reported it. First thing I knew after pax opened the door was someone sniffing my ear, which turned out to be a small terrier.

I told the woma she couldn't have a dog in my car, and she said ubers have to carry dogs. And i said no again, and then she said it wars a "therapy dog". So i asked what service its been trained to perform, and her answer was "to be a therapy dog". So i told her to remove the dog and she canceled.

But i wonder if i was just asking for trouble by reporting it? It was such a clearly bogus claim thay id guess she never would have reported me, and maybe ill buy myself a 48 hour suspension while uber investigates. Or... Maybe uber won't do anything without a complaint from her.

Yes, you were asking for trouble. Uber doesn't give a crap whether you were in the right or not. If some screams service dog, they will permaban you. They don't want to see your dashcam video. Put bluntly, you, like every other driver out there, have zero value to Uber.

Igsfire

There is no shuch thing as a license for either a service dog or a therapy dog.
There are registries and certificates that you may want to look into. Laws are ambiguous when it comes to what is a service animal, but refusal of a service animal in business and ridesharing is pretty clear.

chitown73

SERVICE ANIMALS ARE NOT ALL TRAINED. Therapy dogs are a form of service animals for people with anxiety/social disorders. Not all service animals are marked these days. Licenses for service animals are also easy to obtain. You were more thinking of a professional service dog/animal for someone who is blind/disabled.

http://www.serviceanimalregistryofcalifornia.com/
"Therapy dogs" are NOT considered service animals AT ALL. And there is no such thing as a service dog license.

PrestonT

SERVICE ANIMALS ARE NOT ALL TRAINED. Therapy dogs are a form of service animals for people with anxiety/social disorders. Not all service animals are marked these days. Licenses for service animals are also easy to obtain. You were more thinking of a professional service dog/animal for someone who is blind/disabled.

http://www.serviceanimalregistryofcalifornia.com/

I don't think you are up to date on the definition of service animal. A service animal MUST be trained, by definition, to be considered a service animal.

brianboru

I think you were smart to report it. That way if she complains they have a heads up that the dog wasn't a service dog and will be less likely to kneejerk with a suspension.

Igsfire

You can check with the DOR in CA at least I cannot post that link for some reason and uber service animal policies, either way

chitown73

You can check with the DOR in CA at least I cannot post that link for some reason and uber service animal policies, either way
Alex Carlson, "Service Dogs" are covered under the ADA act. All those websites offering to register and license your service dog are just straight up scams... I can sell you a License to be a doctor and register you if you'd like for the low cost of $10,000/yr.

brianboru

There are registries and certificates that you may want to look into. Laws are ambiguous when it comes to what is a service animal, but refusal of a service animal in business and ridesharing is pretty clear.

The law isn't ambiguous at all. A service animal has to be trained to perform a specific task or tasks. "Emotional therapy" isn't a task. At least not a task that dogs can be trained to perform.

Some people who have dogs try to bluff that the dog is a service animal when it is not. Last month a woman on an airplane was severely bitten in the face by a dog another passenger brought on to the plane. She had falsely claimed the dog was a service animal. I hope the feds change their minds and start registering service animals in order to stop the abuse.

Brian G.

The thing is this country is a lover for animals. The chances you'll have a service animal is minimal (so stop the whining and take the ride). I've done about 7,000 rides and may have gotten only 3 rides with animals and non were service animals. I drive in Boston where pets are very popular.

yojimboguy

Yes, you were asking for trouble. Uber doesn't give a crap whether you were in the right or not. If some screams service dog, they will permaban you. They don't want to see your dashcam video. Put bluntly, you, like every other driver out there, have zero value to Uber.

Thanks for an honest answer. My real question is whether uber will respond or not, if there is no complaint from the pax.

This happened early yesterday morning, and so far -- no response.

brianboru

You probably cannot post the link because it is deliberately misleading. The so called license isn't issued by any government (federal, state, or local). It is garbage like this that people are using to abuse the service animal designation. I cannot tell how disgusted it makes me to see people abuse this. A large number of people have a legitimate need for a service animal. People who try to piggy back on them are really low.

I am perfectly fine with taking a dog that is truly a service animal in my vehicle. I am not ok with taking Fido because some low life is trying to take advantage of the right a disabled person has to take a service animal in my vehicle by pretending their dog is a service animal.

yojimboguy

I have given rides twice to people and their service animals. At least their claims were plausible. This woman was offensive, and as far as im concerned she wasn't nearly plausible.

brianboru

Thanks for an honest answer. My real question is whether uber will respond or not, if there is no complaint from the pax.

This happened early yesterday morning, and so far -- no response.

I bet you don't hear anything. People can be fined for falsely claiming their dog is a service animal. Uber/Lyft should begin any discussion with a pax who complains about their dog not being taken with a statement that reminds the pax that they can be fined for a false claim and then ask them if they want to make the claim. That would take care of a lot of the problem.

AuxCordBoston

I don't understand why you would not want to take a therapy dog.

dnlbaboof

if the pooch is friendly just take it, thats my policy, most pooches love uber drivers as well!

brianboru

I don't understand why you would not want to take a therapy dog.

I love dogs. And I would probably take any dog that showed up. I just hate the idea of people trying to take advantage of a privilege granted to people with disabilities. It simply disgusts me. If I thought someone was trying to falsely claim a dog as a service animal I would refuse to take it on principle and tell them so. So my policy is to ask if the animal is a service animal. If they say no, I will take it. If they say yes then I will ask if the person has a disability that requires an animal to perform a tasks, if they answer yes then I will have ask what task or tasks the dog is trained to perform. If they cannot name a task I will refuse the animal a ride and say why. That I think it is wrong to falsely claim the dog as a service animal and I would have taken them otherwise.

Last edited: