Better off w/o Uber & Lyft?

dirtylee

I'm trying to guage how drivers in Austin are doing. By browsing a bit, some of you seem quite happy.

El Gato

I'm only a part timer but having hit the road hate this summer with Fare/GetMe and keeping to Uber out in the burbs I will say this.

1) Uber still has IMO the best platform out there. The app is easy to use, and it rarely ever crashes or miscalculates fares. On the flip side my GetMe app can be really buggy and Fare too has had its issues (mainly on the other end from was pax tell me).

2) pay is clearly better with the other platforms as $1/mi & .12c/min is the lowest of everyone out there. Minimum payouts of $3.20 sucks. Plus for the newer folks Uber is now taking 25% of your fare as opposed to the 20% from before.

3) out in the burbs Uber is still king. I run all three apps simultaneously and I'd say 90% of my Buisness is from Uber. The other guys have not really caught hold out here yet.

4) I've really hit this week harder than I have before and it could just be the dead period but I am not getting many hits downtown especially with Fare. I've done like maybe 1 Fare a day since Monday despite being online for 5+ hours. I have noticed there are tons of cars on the road. So maybe supply has outstripped demand? GetMe has kept me going this week...not flowing like water but at least a trickle. Uber before was a steady stream. Although I will say Fare has drivers making $1,500/Wk as per their newsletter, so clearly some folks doing well.

El Gato

Yeah ... but Uber is giving a discount to the newer XL, Select & Lux drivers, cause they are only paying 25% ... whereas us old drivers are paying 28%
Oh yeh, forgot about that.

Honestly based on where my business is after working Uber plus the rest in the burbs, I seriously wonder if the other TNC's will survive if Uber/Lyft ever return.

strongarm

Glad they are gone. Unfortunately the new guys are still paying too little. Get me is probably fair. I don't drive anymore much at all. No one can cover depreciation of a vehicle=not fair. Unfortunately riders expect to pay as little as possible. In my opinion Uber Lyft ruined a good thing for so many people.

Ziggy

Glad they are gone. Unfortunately the new guys are still paying too little. Get me is probably fair. I don't drive anymore much at all. No one can cover depreciation of a vehicle=not fair. Unfortunately riders expect to pay as little as possible. In my opinion Uber Lyft ruined a good thing for so many people.
Uber should have kept their fares at Jan 2015 rates, as they were lower than cabs and never had a pax @@@@@ about the rate of $3.10/mi for Select. Heck X was $1.90/mi in Jan 2015. But ever since Uber/Lyft lowered the fares so low that it was cheaper for someone to take an Uber for 5 blocks than to take a pedicab ... well as they say GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). Now we have to re-educate the pax that "NO, we won't take them from the airport to downtown for $8" ... GTFO and take a cab.

strongarm

Uber should have kept their fares at Jan 2015 rates, as they were lower than cabs and never had a pax ***** about the rate of $3.10/mi for Select. Heck X was $1.90/mi in Jan 2015. But ever since Uber/Lyft lowered the fares so low that it was cheaper for someone to take an Uber for 5 blocks than to take a pedicab ... well as they say GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). Now we have to re-educate the pax that "NO, we won't take them from the airport to downtown for $8" ... GTFO and take a cab.
I agree completely. If they kept up the better rates taxi industry might be hurting. I think they got so low they hurt themselves. When I hear a passenger tell me get me is expensive I get pissed. I want to tell these people to buy a car.