1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership.

Best Weekend Ever - But Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'Philadelphia' started by MiddleClassedOut, Sep 8, 2015.

1. So between Lyft and Uber, I netted 1k this week, but I could have done better. Here's my lessons learned list for future major city events:

1) Don't run Lyft even if Lyft is also surging. Uber surge rates are often higher and cover huge areas. Mostly only center city was surging hard on Lyft. But this was a really hard call this week as all Lyft rides added to my 10% bonus. The Uber Partner app was constantly bugging on me and I could not accept pings because of 404 errors and the app just not responding. So I started doing Lyft requests Saturday afternoon, most of which were surge rates, but not as high as the Uber rates.
    2) Don't have a date Saturday night when you could have been making a lot more money :)
    3) Ignore any future guarantee texts from Uber during major events. I got to Fairmount Ave at 10pm, and it was only a 1.4 surge. I took it - that was another mistake. Should have stayed offline and waited for 2.0 at least. That took me to Mt. Airy and I got another ping a mile away, which I should have cancelled on and hightailed it back to Fairmount as there was no surge in Mt. Airy. I blew threw the guarantee that hour anyway (it was $30/hr).
    4) Get a better read on street closures. I got stuck Monday afternoon in traffic trying to get to a surge request north of the museum. I thought they would have reopened the parkway by late Monday. Lucky for me it paid off getting to that location as I had a trip to the Sheraton and then the airport on 2.1 surge.
    5) Always plan a break between 5-7pm. This is rush hour during weekdays, but the city is dead during weekends. Everyone is eating dinner or getting ready to go out later. Do the same!

Limovan, Bnerdy and vicdella80 like this.