jayoncé_

Hey all! I've been driving Uber for a bit now. I started in Aug 2015, drove for about a month and then took a hiatus. I recently started driving again this past week; mainly because I need the extra money. The problem I am having is trying to plan accordingly so that I minimize my losses (gas, mileage, time) and increase my earnings. I drove this past Thurs and Fri night and was able to nab $176 payout (8 hours total). A big part of me feels like that could be a lot better, especially for the amount of gas and miles I used. Does anyone have any advice on the best times to drive in the city? I know Thurs thru Sat overnight is great for the Southside, but are there any times during the week that I should be trying to drive?

Also looking to see if anyone has done any airport trips. I haven't had one yet but have heard that they can be lucrative, especially getting a fare there and back. If anyone has any tips on nabbing one of those that would be awesome :smiles:

MasterKNinja

$176 for 8 hours = $22/hr avg gross which is fairly typical for a weekend. Less earlier in the week. Yup Uber don't pay like it used to. Other than Thurs–Sat night, morning (7-9am) & evening rush (4-6pm) are busiest times.

Know where the major hotels are & be around them from 4–6 am & you'll definitely get airport runs. I mostly drive at night so rarely get requests to the airport. When I used to stay out all night, the app would blow up with early morning travelers & then planes start landing at PIT after 6am. The airport's pretty steady til late evening. It just really depends how many drivers are up there as to how long you wait in the queue. There's times I sat there for an hour, then gave up & other times I had a request in minutes. A ride from the airport to downtown will nab you maybe $21, so it's not the bonanza you might be hoping for.

Last edited:

MikesUber

Thurs thru Sat overnight is great for the Southside
Not always as everyone and their mom thinks "Southside southside southside". It's honestly the highest saturation in the city on weekends. Be careful relying on the Southside as there are multiple drivers on every block. It's not unusual to have an Uber behind and in front of me in traffic. There are other hot bar spots in the city that light up as well and are usually underserved because of the Southside issue.

Know where the major hotels are & be around them from 4–6 am & you'll definitely get airport runs
Yes jayoncé_ around 3:30AM-4:00AM the city should start increasing demand for airport runs. When I would stay out later in the morning it wouldn't be uncommon to get one most nights around this time. I wouldn't even need to park near a hotel as demand was so high.

When I used to stay out all night, the app would blow up with early morning travelers
Correct!

jayoncé_

$176 for 8 hours = $22/hr avg gross which is fairly typical for a weekend. Less earlier in the week. Yup Uber don't pay like it used to. Other than Thurs–Sat night, morning (7-9am) & evening rush (4-6pm) are busiest times.

Know where the major hotels are & be around them from 4–6 am & you'll definitely get airport runs. I mostly drive at night so rarely get requests to the airport. When I used to stay out all night, the app would blow up with early morning travelers & then planes start landing at PIT after 6am. The airport's pretty steady til late evening. It just really depends how many drivers are up there as to how long you wait in the queue. There's times I sat there for an hour, then gave up & other times I had a request in minutes. A ride from the airport to downtown will nab you maybe $21, so it's not the bonanza you might be hoping for.

Sweet. That all sounds pretty simple. I figured the airport trips wouldn't be huge payouts, but I assume if you could master the art of getting continuous trips back and forth that it could be a decent bit of money for the day.

During the morning time I'm assuming that's the commuters. My only thing during that time is if I would need to drive downtown to get the ping or if it would be mostly people from the surround areas needing a ride into town (which makes more sense now that I think of it). I work at 11:30 so I don't want to get up earlier if it's not that much more profitable to drive during that time. Especially with the rush hour traffic that early in the morning LOL.

jayoncé_

Not always as everyone and their mom thinks "Southside southside southside". It's honestly the highest saturation in the city on weekends. Be careful relying on the Southside as there are multiple drivers on every block. It's not unusual to have an Uber behind and in front of me in traffic. There are other hot bar spots in the city that light up as well and are usually underserved because of the Southside issue.

True that. Every rider most likely has the same mentality so it would probably be better to find a less saturated area to increase the odds of getting a ping. I've done Southside a few times late at night and it wasn't that fun of an experience haha.

MasterKNinja

if you could master the art of getting continuous trips back and forth that it could be a decent bit of money for the day.

Yeah that would be awesome. The prob is the requests you get are completely random & you don't know where they're going til you start the ride. I guess if you only accepted rides from hotels your chances for getting airport runs would go up. All you can really do is try different driving strategies & track the money you make & see what works for you.

I work at 11:30 so I don't want to get up earlier if it's not that much more profitable to drive during that time. Especially with the rush hour traffic that early in the morning LOL.

There are people that only drive mornings. You can deal with the drunks late at night or with the traffic in the morning. Take your pick! haha.

I've done Southside a few times late at night and it wasn't that fun of an experience haha.

"not fun" is quite the understatement. lol. I think it's total ***t show after midnight on weekends and generally avoid it unless I have to cause I got a ride there. Usually then its just easier to catch a ride out rather than deadhead to another part of town. I find Southside to be a major dead zone before midnight cause way more people are traveling there to go out than are leaving. I also try not to end my night way deep in the South Hills (a typical destination for southside partyers) cause its the complete opposite way from where I live.

MikesUber

There are people that only drive mornings. You can deal with the drunks late at night or with the traffic in the morning. Take your pick! haha.
So true, I'm absolutely not a morning person so I'll deal with the drunks but you do have to take your pick. When I would stay out super late the traffic would start coming in around 4:30-5:00AM (parkway and 5th Ave)

I think it's total ***t show after midnight on weekends
Oh it is, absolute zoo when the students are here especially or around big party weekends. Again there are a few other hot pockets (yum) in the city that you can hit around 2AM as well.

Stock119

Hey all! I've been driving Uber for a bit now. I started in Aug 2015, drove for about a month and then took a hiatus. I recently started driving again this past week; mainly because I need the extra money. The problem I am having is trying to plan accordingly so that I minimize my losses (gas, mileage, time) and increase my earnings. I drove this past Thurs and Fri night and was able to nab $176 payout (8 hours total). A big part of me feels like that could be a lot better, especially for the amount of gas and miles I used. Does anyone have any advice on the best times to drive in the city? I know Thurs thru Sat overnight is great for the Southside, but are there any times during the week that I should be trying to drive?

Also looking to see if anyone has done any airport trips. I haven't had one yet but have heard that they can be lucrative, especially getting a fare there and back. If anyone has any tips on nabbing one of those that would be awesome :smiles:
If you aren't making 32.50 u r wasting your time. Example. Let's say you make 200 dollars in 10 hours. (.20 taxes, minus upkeep of your car .17 plus miscellaneous .7 = that 42 percent of your money gone... So that "22 dollars per is really 9.40) I make 100 ever 4.5 hours on uber

Roger in Canton

If you aren't making 32.50 u r wasting your time. Example. Let's say you make 200 dollars in 10 hours. (.20 taxes, minus upkeep of your car .17 plus miscellaneous .7 = that 42 percent of your money gone... So that "22 dollars per is really 9.40) I make 100 ever 4.5 hours on uber
Unless you average $1/passenger mile and less than 85% deadhead miles, you won't have any taxes. Also you should calculate your expenses on a per mile basis, not percentage. I've only had one day that I would have to worry about taxes, and that was when the Cavs had their parade this week! Surges were 4 - 5x for a few hours.

Wiz65

So when people say, "its not worth me driving" are you saying for that particular time, day, or overall? If overall, delete the app and quit b1tching. If for a specific time/day I am still perplexed. The assignments are random, and no one driver controls the surge algorithm. I've had "slow" days where all my trips have been long highway adventures with lucrative payouts. I have also had "busy" days with BS short trips, where I am always one step behind the surge. Over time, the law of averages kicks in, and after 2 years I am still pleased using Uber as a side gig to make extra $$.
$1.00-$1.25 per mile.

Last edited:

MikesUber

I am always one step behind the surge
That's why you don't log in unless there is surge, then you'll never be behind it. As multiple other cities have said this honeycomb map is bs and kills surge so all I've done is turned in early or not take rides. Rates need to be at least $2.00/mile for this to make sense. I'll let the idiot in the newish F150 or the guy in the ~2009 Benz or the charity driver in the newish Audi SUV drive for $1.05/mile at a loss.

Wiz65

We aren't *****ing we talking about facts. Uber uses people like us. We use UBeR as pay day loan. Plz watch

After the third wrong assumption in the video I stopped watching.
Pay day loan? Sorry, never have or will use this service.
If you feel used/abused then I would implore you to seek employment elsewhere, and stop posting your toxic nonsense on the message board. The extra cash I make with Uber helps me live the lifestyle I want to live. In my opinion it should not be the primary income for anyone.

Zen65

What I don't get is why drivers are so quick to jump to ubers defense. Yes uber helps drivers but Uber only cares about uber. They don't give a crap about drivers. We all drive for uber because it helps us obviously. But there are far too many drivers acting like they are ready to leave their spouse and get in bed with uber.

Example: Uber "raises" the prices by 10%. They only did this because drivers were quitting and it was hurting them. Not because they wanted to help us.

Yes we benefit from driving and it beats flipping burgers any day. But, far too many drivers have Stockholm syndrome regarding uber, and being better than bad doesn't make it good.

MasterKNinja

Unless you average $1/passenger mile and less than 85% deadhead miles, you won't have any taxes. Also you should calculate your expenses on a per mile basis, not percentage.

Not only that, your goal should be to be a s****y "business owner" and break even or show a loss. What do I mean? The flexibility of the Uber app gives you many opportunities to show expenses. Yesterday I flipped the app on so was "at work" but would log off as I did errands. Since I was "working", the mileage for the trip becomes deductible (enter it into you mileage book) & the soft drink, meal, & Starbucks I bought are all deductible business expenses (save receipts). I got zero pings, but had $24 worth of expenses. Oh well, I guess I'm a s****y business person: I lost $24 for the day in my business. But actually I just lowered my overall tax burden by $17.61. If your driving business shows a loss, then that loss becomes deductible when calculating taxes for your full time gig. You only have to demonstrate to the IRS that you intend to make a profit, not that you're good at business and actually do.

Zen65

Not only that, your goal should be to be a s****y "business owner" and break even or show a loss. What do I mean? The flexibility of the Uber app gives you many opportunities to show expenses. Yesterday I flipped the app on so was "at work" but would log off as I did errands. Since I was "working", the mileage for the trip becomes deductible (enter it into you mileage book) & the soft drink, meal, & Starbucks I bought are all deductible business expenses (save receipts). I got zero pings, but had $24 worth of expenses. Oh well, I guess I'm a s****y business person: I lost $24 for the day in my business. But actually I just lowered my overall tax burden by $17.61. If your driving business shows a loss, then that loss becomes deductible when calculating taxes for your full time gig. You only have to demonstrate to the IRS that you intend to make a profit, not that you're good at business and actually do.

Now this is genius!

MikesUber

Uber "raises" the prices by 10%. They only did this because drivers were quitting and it was hurting them. Not because they wanted to help us.
Very true, they find the absolute minimum drivers will go online for and they keep it there. They've basically found their rate at $1.05/mile and now they're tinkering with how infrequently can they allow it to surge with drivers still going online. I've done less than 10 rides this week because there's no surge. Ratings need to be $2.00/mile minimum without surge OR let it surge freely like they did last year.

the soft drink, meal, & Starbucks I bought are all deductible business expenses
Meals are not deductible according to UberPissed, it's an older thread however (2014).

I've heard elsewhere on here meals are not deductible.

https://uberpeople.net/threads/tax-write-offs.997/page-2#post-9291

Roger in Canton

Yep! I always turn the app on while I'm running errands. Rarely do I not get at least one ping. Yesterday I had 2 stops to make, picked up 3 rides ($15 take home ) put about 15 extra miles on my car. Lost money (according to the IRS ) and more than paid for gas and wear and tear on car.

I usually only "plan" on driving during special events or some Friday /Saturday nights.

Once a driver figures out that the Uber pay minus gas is NOT pure profit, they will most likely do the same.