Best time of day to drive & surge pricing

VeeVeeB

Hi everyone.
I'm new to uber. I started today, driving part-time in the Avondale-Goodyear area. I'm not really sure when the best time Is to begin my shift. This morning sucked! Also, I keep hearing about surge pricing. Is there some way to know when this happens? Being offline, does the app give us some sore of notice so that we don't miss an opportunity? Can anyone help a newbie out please? Thanks!

CarterPeerless

1 am, Friday or Saturday night, at Old Town Scottdale. Everything else is a crapshoot.

Don't bother chasing surges. It doesn't mean that there is a queue of passengers just waiting for you to get close enough. It doesn't mean that pax will actually choose to ride during the surge. It means that the algorithms are detecting a higher number of people *considering* a ride, than there are drivers available to service them.

Aside from 1am old town, I estimate that out of every 5 times I am in a surge area, I get 1 actual surge fare.

VeeVeeB

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow! Ok thanks for the heads up. I thought that I was missing something if I didn't participate in this "surge".

Hey now

Hi everyone.
I'm new to uber. I started today, driving part-time in the Avondale-Goodyear area. I'm not really sure when the best time Is to begin my shift. This morning sucked! Also, I keep hearing about surge pricing. Is there some way to know when this happens? Being offline, does the app give us some sore of notice so that we don't miss an opportunity? Can anyone help a newbie out please? Thanks!
I live in north east Phx and this morning sucked for me as well. Most of my fares were below $4.
I'd say to stick close to home to start. Start learning the hot areas and times around there. No sense driving wasted miles on a hunch.

Trouble

You can open your app anytime to look at the map. Just zoom out on the map and it will show you if/where there are surging areas. I've found that if it's surging at 1.5 or lower, you most likely won't get a ride.

VeeVeeB

You can open your app anytime to look at the map. Just zoom out on the map and it will show you if/where there are surging areas. I've found that if it's surging at 1.5 or lower, you most likely won't get a ride.
Good to know. thank u!

VeeVeeB

I live in north east Phx and this morning sucked for me as well. Most of my fares were below $4.
I'd say to stick close to home to start. Start learning the hot areas and times around there. No sense driving wasted miles on a hunch.
Definitely will take this advice tomorrow. Thanks!

Mr Magoo

Hey VeeVeeB,

I am also new and in the Avondale/Goodyear area and this morning really and truly did suck. If today is the future, then this is completely unsustainable. Personally, I am nearly certain that I am going to have to start driving super early on weekdays and hope to pick up an airport fare instead of what I got today.

The worst was a min fare school zone drop off, mom and kid. No tip. Then the app freezing on me twice as I tried to accept 2 rides. FUGLY.

Scissorz

If your not too ambitious you can wait for the restaurant workers to get done around 9-10 PM. Stay on the north side of I-10. Westgate can also be decent but some of the people coming out of there are real sphincters.

VeeVeeB

Lmao at "sphincters". So it seems like driving in the mornings should be avoided? Or possibly driver very early, as in 6-7am?

AP92

Hi everyone.
DON'T always expect surge rides 2 years ago yeah you'll see a 3.0+ like nothing and get a ride now passangers are smart wait for the Surge to end and then request you if you're less then 5 min away from Surge then yeah try catching it but if you do end up getting a ride it's yo we only live up the street cheif. Crap ride I know you see so much negativity but it's the truth.

I also live in Avondale and have been driving about 8 months. Outcomes vary from day to day and are difficult to predict but starting early (4-5am) does make a difference. Many times you will get a ride request to the airport or downtown Phoenix within the first couple of trips or so but not always. There are some days that I just bounce around from here to Goodyear to Glendale and back.

Many drivers do not like to accept trip requests more than 5 minutes away but at 4am in Avondale/Goodyear many of your pings are going to be 10-15 minutes away or more. Probably because there are not that many drivers out this way up and ready to work that early. As newbies I would accept those rides for now and hope they are more productive fares than minimum.

VeeVeeB

DON'T always expect surge rides 2 years ago yeah you'll see a 3.0+ like nothing and get a ride now passangers are smart wait for the Surge to end and then request you if you're less then 5 min away from Surge then yeah try catching it but if you do end up getting a ride it's yo we only live up the street cheif. Crap ride I know you see so much negativity but it's the truth.
No, it's good to know these things so that I don't make dumb mistakes. Thanks!

VeeVeeB

I also live in Avondale and have been driving about 8 months. Outcomes vary from day to day and are difficult to predict but starting early (4-5am) does make a difference. Many times you will get a ride request to the airport or downtown Phoenix within the first couple of trips or so but not always. There are some days that I just bounce around from here to Goodyear to Glendale and back.

Many drivers do not like to accept trip requests more than 5 minutes away but at 4am in Avondale/Goodyear many of your pings are going to be 10-15 minutes away or more. Probably because there are not that many drivers out this way up and ready to work that early. As newbies I would accept those rides for now and hope they are more productive fares than minimum.
Thank u! I will definitely do that. How long do you work on the early mornings? 3, 4, 5 hours?

Thank u! I will definitely do that. How long do you work on the early mornings? 3, 4, 5 hours?
It depends on what else I have going on. If I have a Flex shift at 9 or 10 I will usually knock off and hour or so before that depending on where I am in the valley.

VeeVeeB

It depends on what else I have going on. If I have a Flex shift at 9 or 10 I will usually knock off and hour or so before that depending on where I am in the valley.
Ok gotcha. There's so much that I need to learn abt uber. I thought that it would be easier than this. Guess not