Best reasonable NJ mechanic ???

RightTurnOnRed

Why can't you do it yourself?
Good question. The serpentine belt sometimes screams. At least I think it's the belt. I've been doing some research and discovered that a bad pulley could be the culprit. So it's more of a diagnostic issue than the actual repair. I could switch out the belt myself, but if I'm wrong and one of the pulleys breaks. I'll be looking at even more damage. I don't know much about the accessory drive belt and components, to make a determination as to where the noise is originating from.

Jtnjdrive

Might be your belt tensioner a common problem. Pulleys are easy to replace and relatively cheap, usually held on by one nut. Take the belt off and spon each pulley and see if there is any binding or hang ups. Mechanics love easy simple fixes like this and they charge hundreds 4 maybe less than an hour's work.

RightTurnOnRed

Might be your belt tensioner a common problem. Pulleys are easy to replace and relatively cheap, usually held on by one nut. Take the belt off and spon each pulley and see if there is any binding or hang ups. Mechanics love easy simple fixes like this and they charge hundreds 4 maybe less than an hour's work.
The dealer gave me quote of $185 to replace the belt. So you are correct, because a good belt itself is around $25. Another option is just replace the belt and tensioner myself for around $50. I've been watching YouTube videos on this type of repair and I think I can do it myself. Wish me luck.
Post automatically merged:

pulleys are usually 35 to 60 bucks, you can tell when its a pulley or the belt, just listen
I tried to listen to see where it's coming from, but the noise seems to be coming from everywhere....lol. I've also tried the water in the squirt bottle test, by squirting water at the pulley. Still can't narrow it down. I was thinking of applying belt dressing, but it appears that most of the Google searches seem to suggest that greasing a belt is not recommended. Which is odd because I found some YouTube posters say that they always grease the belt when installing a new belt.

Last edited:

UberwhoIaM

Screenshot_20190510-093339_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20190510-093429_Maps.jpg

Thanks.....will check him out this afternoon

Thanks
UberwholaM recommended the same mechanic. Many mechanics ripped me off. I wish they suffer the same pain that I have been through. It is very hard to find genuine mechanics. He is very honest and please review when you will get the job done from him.

StuGotz

The dealer gave me quote of $185 to replace the belt. So you are correct, because a good belt itself is around $25. Another option is just replace the belt and tensioner myself for around $50. I've been watching YouTube videos on this type of repair and I think I can do it myself. Wish me luck.

I tried to listen to see where it's coming from, but the noise seems to be coming from everywhere....lol. I've also tried the water in the squirt bottle test, by squirting water at the pulley. Still can't narrow it down. I was thinking of applying belt dressing, but it appears that most of the Google searches seem to suggest that greasing a belt is not recommended. Which is odd because I found some YouTube posters say that they always grease the belt when installing a new belt.
It’s a bad tensioner. Go to rock auto .com. Buy a tensioner with pulley assembly, new belt, replace and be done with it. When the spring wears out or breaks it doesn’t put enough tension on the belt at all rpms. That’s why it seems to be coming from everywhere.

RightTurnOnRed

UberwholaM recommended the same mechanic. Many mechanics ripped me off. I wish they suffer the same pain that I have been through. It is very hard to find genuine mechanics. He is very honest and please review when you will get the job done from him.
I ordered the parts online and should receive them by Tuesday. Once I get the work done, I will let everyone
It’s a bad tensioner. Go to rock auto .com. Buy a tensioner with pulley assembly, new belt, replace and be done with it. When the spring wears out or breaks it doesn’t put enough tension on the belt at all rpms. That’s why it seems to be coming from everywhere.
Thank you for the info. Very much appreciated !