Best places in Columbus to get business?

UberYella

This is my second week driving Uber. I usually start out from home (Mock rd area /Northeast) and let my ping start what direction im working.
I need to know what are some really great areas to get fares? Campus is slow right now because school is out. My goal is 100 dollars per week and ive met that goal so far. Help me out and let me know where there are great spots to work in!! Oh! And hows the airport?? Thank u! Xo Danniella aka UberYella

gofry

Even when students are here, campus is a waste of time. Very short rides.

You can easily make $100 a week. You will likely average just under $10 an hour, after gas but before taxes, so figure 10-12 hours to make your goal. Driving at night 11-3 is more profitable but you'll deal with drunks.

The airport now seems like a waste of time too, as they have geofenced the holding area to the green lot. That means you'll get in line with a dozen others and wait.

As to the best spots, I don't think other drivers will share these with you.

UberYella

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you gofry ! Yea i figured other drivers wouldn't hip me to great spots buts its ok Uber is my 3RD JOB! So they most likely need the fares more than me! It surely would be nice if they atleast shared where NOT to go! Lol.

WVboyinOH

Even when students are here, campus is a waste of time. Very short rides.

You can easily make $100 a week. You will likely average just under $10 an hour, after gas but before taxes, so figure 10-12 hours to make your goal. Driving at night 11-3 is more profitable but you'll deal with drunks.

The airport now seems like a waste of time too, as they have geofenced the holding area to the green lot. That means you'll get in line with a dozen others and wait.

As to the best spots, I don't think other drivers will share these with you.
Gofry quit driving a while ago. Be cautious with his advice. His advice on the airport is current. However, CMH can be lucrative if you are wise in staging, times, and watch where the other drivers are. The reason you didn't get much reply from others is the same question has been asked and answered a zillion times on this forum. My advice would be to take some free time and read through the posts on numerous subjects. You can find answers to about everything already written.
Go luck and be safe!

PWRUber

Map your strategy in advance and drive smart. You'd be surprised @ how many potential riders there are between 4-7p during the first 3-4 days of the workweek leaving corporate sites heading to hotels/restaurants. Not just downtown businesses either (ie. State Auto, Nationwide), but suburban businesses...particularly those on the NW side of town. Short fares, yes, but minimal deadheading and depending on what your endgame is after you go offline, it's not unrealistic to pull $50-75 on a late Monday afternoon.

In regards to other drivers not disclosing prime locations, to each their own, I guess. Each driver is doing this for various reasons, and depending on said reason and expectations set prior to "flipping the switch", the answers provided will vary greatly. Fact is, w/ a metro population of 2+ million, and a rideshare driver turnover percentage too high to accurately measure consistently, an oversaturated market is the least of my concerns. The more "sweet spots" that are disclosed means the faster word of mouth will travel from rider to rider. And as more people turn to rideshare platforms, and other on-demand services like GrubHub and Amazon Prime, the wider the platform for drivers becomes.

WVboyinOH is spot on. Do your research, determine what YOU'RE looking to get out of it, and plan in advance. There's money out there, but only you can determine if it's worth your time and resources.

UberYella

Gofry quit driving a while ago. Be cautious with his advice. His advice on the airport is current. However, CMH can be lucrative if you are wise in staging, times, and watch where the other drivers are. The reason you didn't get much reply from others is the same question has been asked and answered a zillion times on this forum. My advice would be to take some free time and read through the posts on numerous subjects. You can find answers to about everything already written.
Go luck and be safe!
Ty. I appreciate ur advice

UberYella

Map your strategy in advance and drive smart. You'd be surprised @ how many potential riders there are between 4-7p during the first 3-4 days of the workweek leaving corporate sites heading to hotels/restaurants. Not just downtown businesses either (ie. State Auto, Nationwide), but suburban businesses...particularly those on the NW side of town. Short fares, yes, but minimal deadheading and depending on what your endgame is after you go offline, it's not unrealistic to pull $50-75 on a late Monday afternoon.

In regards to other drivers not disclosing prime locations, to each their own, I guess. Each driver is doing this for various reasons, and depending on said reason and expectations set prior to "flipping the switch", the answers provided will vary greatly. Fact is, w/ a metro population of 2+ million, and a rideshare driver turnover percentage too high to accurately measure consistently, an oversaturated market is the least of my concerns. The more "sweet spots" that are disclosed means the faster word of mouth will travel from rider to rider. And as more people turn to rideshare platforms, and other on-demand services like GrubHub and Amazon Prime, the wider the platform for drivers becomes.

WVboyinOH is spot on. Do your research, determine what YOU'RE looking to get out of it, and plan in advance. There's money out there, but only you can determine if it's worth your time and resources.
Ty for the advice. Ive been looking at old threads. Didnt see too much about location. My goal on this is only 100 a week. MAYBE a lil more. So far this is my 3rd week and i have met my goals. 8-10 hours 2 -3 days a week. Mostly on campus and around where i live.

PWRUber

Ty for the advice. Ive been looking at old threads. Didnt see too much about location. My goal on this is only 100 a week. MAYBE a lil more. So far this is my 3rd week and i have met my goals. 8-10 hours 2 -3 days a week. Mostly on campus and around where i live.

Based on the goal you've set , you don't have to touch campus to reach $100 in a week, nor do you need to put in 10 hours. Your experience may vary, and there will always be better nights that can be chalked up to pure luck and being @ the right place @ the right time, but strategy is just as important as being intimate with your surroundings. The example I provided in my post re: 4-7p weeknight pickups primarily comprised from large businesses in the downtown area will net you $100 in short order so long as you don't worry about the amount of each fare. I cleared just north of $60 last night after deductions in just under 3 hours; 23 miles. No tips, no chasing, just 12 riders with some friendly banter.

DatShoGuy

$100 a week has been my goal for about the last year. During my first few months, it took me many hours to meet that goal (I had some weeks where I worked 20+ hours). I wasn't driving smart. However, I did log all of my trips.....starting point, ending point, time of day - everything I could. Over time, I started noticing patterns (I'm a #s guy in my day job). Now I have regulars because I know when they're leaving for CMH each week, have a few that I know don't have cars & know when their shift ends, etc..... I can now make that $100 a week with minimal effort. As others have said, figure out what works for you - this isn't a 1 size fits all. If there's guarantees, I will sometimes work those for extra $ - just know you'll be driving around drunks. I don't buy mints, gum or water to hand out, but I do have a supply of hospital grade puke bags for when I'm driving that midnight to 3 am range to get the guarantees.

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
What's best for one driver isn't best for another... and vice versa.

For example, on Friday and Saturday evenings, I used to park at the Giant Eagle on Neil Ave.... a ping usually comes in pretty quick there, and more times than not it's someone or a group just blocks away from you who just want a lift up to High St. $4 fare (now $4.45) and all the driver keeps is $2.40. Head back to Giant Eagle parking lot and do it again. A typical weekend night would produce 4 to 5 of those per hour for three to four hours straight. Now, most drivers say that sucks as you are only making $9.60 to $12 an hour. But it's not bad considering you are only putting 6 or 7 miles on your car on hour. So you could pocket around $40 for four hours of work and only use a gallon of gas. I don't recommend doing this during the winter, because your car's engine is barely on enough to keep you warm.

lahomesecretary

This is my second week driving Uber. I usually start out from home (Mock rd area /Northeast) and let my ping start what direction im working.
I need to know what are some really great areas to get fares? Campus is slow right now because school is out. My goal is 100 dollars per week and ive met that goal so far. Help me out and let me know where there are great spots to work in!! Oh! And hows the airport?? Thank u! Xo Danniella aka UberYella
Hello, yeah that's how I do it. I start near home and when I get my first ping I go to the riders destination, then hang out around there. If no responses, I will check out the riders app and look for places, nearby, where there are fewer drivers and go there. I personally like working the suburbs south and south/east Columbus.

I find if I sit and wait, I tend to not get much. As soon as I start to watch a movie or work on my Uber spreadsheet I get a ping. Isn't that always the way it works :wink:.

Oh, by-the-way, I attached a copy of my spreadsheet for you to see. I drive part-time.

Attachments

UberYella

Hello, yeah that's how I do it. I start near home and when I get my first ping I go to the riders destination, then hang out around there. If no responses, I will check out the riders app and look for places, nearby, where there are fewer drivers and go there. I personally like working the suburbs south and south/east Columbus.

I find if I sit and wait, I tend to not get much. As soon as I start to watch a movie or work on my Uber spreadsheet I get a ping. Isn't that always the way it works :wink:.

Oh, by-the-way, I attached a copy of my spreadsheet for you to see. I drive part-time.
Omg! ThNk u!!!

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
Your spreadsheet shows that you are making $3.38 per hour. Why are you doing this?
Because $3.38 per hour is more than $0.00 per hour.

Historically, businesses will naturally exploit the desperate without laws to stop them from doing such... and Uber has found a way around existing laws.