Being punished/no pings??

mrchris

So bear with me as I try to explain this.

The last few weeks I have received hardly any pings on Lyft, usually I get a line request within a minute or two of going online and I almost always let it go but then I won't get a ping for an hour or more. Normally I only drive Saturday nights and to go an hour in DT Seattle without a ping?? FWIW I have an SUV and qualify for Plus as well. I've kind of wondered what the hell is up as it never had been that slow before.

I have a buddy of mine that will have my Lyft him to the airport, what we normally do is he calls or texts, I arrive and with him sitting there I go online and then he requests a ride and it goes to me as the closest driver.

Yesterday we tried to do that. I turned the app on, immediately got a Line request from a 3.8 rider 12 minutes away. Let it run out. His app showed a driver 1 minute away/right on top of him (me). He hits request and gets a driver 10 minutes away. The dozen or so times we did this before it always worked just fine.

So we try a couple more times, all with the same result.

So for shits and giggles I have him request Plus. It shows Plus 1 minute away, again me. He requests and he gets a driver 19 minutes away.

So I go offline and back online, I can see my little car disappear and reappear on the map in his app. He requests again and same thing, same driver 19 minutes away.

All in all we tried this a total of 15 times and never once did it give me the ride even though I was right next to him.

This had never happened before, it had always worked doing it this way. I can't help but think the drastic lack of rides and this are somehow connected. But what the hell did I do to piss off the Lyft gods and how do I fix it?

heynow321

meh, i've had a similar experience. the only flaw i see in the logic is lyft and boober will do anything to bend us over for the passengers. boober, as per the meeting on tuesday, says they track the average wait times for customers. I'm sure lyft does the exact same thing. they don't want passengers to have to wait 12 minutes for a ride.

next time, have him try it while standing a block away and see if that works.

Skinny1

Interesting

I'm still getting rides with 35-45% acceptance.i will say at times I have gaps and I wonder if it's punishment... hard to say.

But the close by thing I think they are trying to deter. I was on Cap Hill and it took a guy 4-5 times to get me ... it sucks.

K-pax

Interesting

I'm still getting rides with 35-45% acceptance.i will say at times I have gaps and I wonder if it's punishment... hard to say.

But the close by thing I think they are trying to deter. I was on Cap Hill and it took a guy 4-5 times to get me ... it sucks.

How close by? I get ppl standing next to the car matched with me all the time. They love it. So do I, actually.

DexNex

Prearranged rides of this nature are illegal for TNC drivers in the state of Washington. The software used by Lyft and Uber can detect when you give multiple rides to the same person in a short period of time. Their software is designed to disallow you from providing those trips once you have been flagged. Not only does this keep everyone compliant with the law, it prevents fraud from people prearranging rides with friends to earn bonuses or incentives.

I have had the same experience with some high-end cruise ship clients this summer. After providing them with several trips over the course of a week, I was unable to sync with them despite being the only vehicle of that tier within 25 minutes of their location.

As for your lack of pings, the market is extremely slow right now, and oversaturated with returning college students who also drive.

I would warn you that Uber/Lyft see this type of activity as fraud. Keep it to a minimum or your account will receive fraud warnings and you could be deactivated.

Here is a Uber's direct take on what you are doing:

https://www.uber.com/en-ZA/drive/resources/recognising-fraud/

GT500KR

Refusing to allow pax to request their favorite driver, could be argued to make us employees not contractors. It's a restrictive arbitrary employer, do as we say kind of rule. Another reason Uber will eventually fail. Uber's attorneys aren't all that good, they just are buying time.

Rakos

I’m back on the road this weekend. How slow has it been?

its not how slow or fast it's been....

its how many new Uber drivers....

are trying to catch....

the pax that are there...

the word is out...

everyone wants to drive for Uber/Lyft...

Good Luck....

Rakos

Kodyhead

Prearranged rides of this nature are illegal for TNC drivers in the state of Washington. The software used by Lyft and Uber can detect when you give multiple rides to the same person in a short period of time. Their software is designed to disallow you from providing those trips once you have been flagged. Not only does this keep everyone compliant with the law, it prevents fraud from people prearranging rides with friends to earn bonuses or incentives.

I have had the same experience with some high-end cruise ship clients this summer. After providing them with several trips over the course of a week, I was unable to sync with them despite being the only vehicle of that tier within 25 minutes of their location.

As for your lack of pings, the market is extremely slow right now, and oversaturated with returning college students who also drive.

I would warn you that Uber/Lyft see this type of activity as fraud. Keep it to a minimum or your account will receive fraud warnings and you could be deactivated.

Here is a Uber's direct take on what you are doing:

https://www.uber.com/en-ZA/drive/resources/recognising-fraud/
Lyft considers this fraud and will not pay you if they detect it, I still do it anyway, but doing prearranged rides is tough on Lyft, I personally have them switch to Uber. If you are too close to them, and if you have history with that rider, chances are you will not get that request. The worst thing on Uber and lyft is to be in the same car and trying to have them request, I personally wait a few blocks away and have them request and then it takes me 2 mins to get there.

Uber seems more tolerable on Lyft but lyft certainly makes it tougher for repeat business for sure.

Smashup

Refusing to allow pax to request their favorite driver, could be argued to make us employees not contractors. It's a restrictive arbitrary employer, do as we say kind of rule. Another reason Uber will eventually fail. Uber's attorneys aren't all that good, they just are buying time.

That's my feeling.

Dex says it's against the law, and he's right that drivers and riders cannot prearrange rides, but when I saw the law I don't think it completely outlawed a service where a rider and a driver have "faves" and if a rider's fave'd driver is available and nearby, the TNC could hook them up.

I certainly think that the way Lyft and Uber (and the law) make it impossible for a driver to have any sort of repeat businesses also precludes any way of then claiming the driver is an independent business.

No such thing as an "independent business" if

+ the owner has no say on pricing
+ the owner has no say on marketing
+ the owner has no ability to market to and maintain customer relationships
+ the owner has a very limited (two) set of companies that the owner can sell his services to

An independent business builds up value over time, I can sell my plumbing business, dentistry, consulting company. There is ZERO value ever to be built up as an Uber driver.

And this lack of repeat business is one huge factor why.

DexNex

No. It is compliance with state law. Don’t blame Uber/Lyft, blame Washington state.

Smashup

And no one should forget that as in Texas, here in Washington State, Uber & Lyft are busy writing the law for TNC companies, SB 5620.

That's being held over Seattle's head should god forbid, Uber & Lyft eventually run out of court appeals and be forced to hold a vote. At that point 5620 will come off the backburner and get passed and do away with Seattle's laws.

Point being that while Dex is right about the law not allowing pre-arranged rides, well, isn't that special, how con-VEEN-ient.

Uber Crack

Author
Maybe the app doesn't pair with the closest rider but whose turn it is. If there are 8 drivers nearby maybe it's one of their turns next. It could be also based on acceptance and cancel rates. It could be a myriad of factors and not just closest driver.

Kodyhead

Maybe the app doesn't pair with the closest rider but whose turn it is. If there are 8 drivers nearby maybe it's one of their turns next. It could be also based on acceptance and cancel rates. It could be a myriad of factors and not just closest driver.

I read somewhere that it was based sometimes in ratings too, as higher rated drivers get matched with higher pax but not from my experience