Behold! The $1 Bonus

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Amusing bit of proactive administration on LYFT's part.
TL;DR
**ADVANCED WARNING** There is no plot twist or drama in the story below.

After getting on top of a head-cold I was fighting, I turned the app on at about 10pm last night. I got about 1 minute away after being about 1 hour online. (OK, Ashoor you were right, Thursdays are slow!)

PAX dropped the pin in a large plaza with a strip mall of shops, and a bunch of floating buildings in the parking lot. Since the pin was on one bar/restaurant, I went there and started waiting. Called PAX after about 2 minutes. They said they were in the TIM HORTON's. Due to all the islands and drive-thru in this parking lot, I told PAX, I could come to them, (in about 2 minutes) or they could walk to me about 10 seconds, to just cross the drive-thru curb.) I'm outside with my blinkers on.

Hesitation. Hisitation. OK, we'll come to you.

2 minutes later (and 15 seconds on countdown clock at this point). They arrive.

Destination is >1.0 km.

They get a 2*

OK, life goes on, I'll never be matched with them again for this bit of silliness.

Then I get this.

0_Bonus.JPG

I respond to the email: "Dropped pin in plaza. I arrived to pin and clicked I have arrived button. Silence for a couple minutes. I call her. She says where she is. I ask if she wants to walk to me or me to drive to the coffee shop. She says she will come to me. Takes her time, almost to the end of the five minute clock. This all for a 1km ride."

Then I get this. I'm going to DISNEY LAND!

1_Bonus.JPG

Oh, they try so very hard! :smiles:

losiglow

You know, sometimes it's better to not give anything than to give something small. This is a perfect example of that.

A few years ago when I was working for a previous employer, we got a Christmas bonus of about $40. That caused more resentment and anger than if they would have just told us the company had a bad year and that they wouldn't be able to issue bonuses for Christmas. Another example of when nothing is better than something small.

I do have to give Uber props for a similar situation though. I showed up at a bar one night with a 2.75X surge if I remember correctly. I called after 5 minutes at which point the pax told me they had cancelled. It didn't show that on the app though. So I cancelled through the app and was given the cancellation fee. I messaged Uber and complained that the ride didn't cancel on the driver app, so I missed out on other potential surge fares because I had to wait for no reason. They compensated me $10. Still less than I probably would have made with another surge run but better than nothing.

Ashoor

LOL @ going to Disney!!!

$1 bonus for your effort? Omg is that a typo on their part? Like how about $5 at least?

Uber/Lyft has to find a way to compensate drivers better when they travel longer to the passenger than the length the passenger is going.

Kurt, maybe this is where you should have used my trick by pretending to be confused and asking her if she meant to go to the plaza where. You picked her up from, in hopes of getting her to reveal her destination lol.