1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Been to court because of Uber driving? Do tell!

Discussion in 'Advice' started by UberJohnNJ, Jan 28, 2016.

1. So folks, In the last week or so I have had interactions with 2 separate law enforcement agencies at Newark Airport and in Hoboken regarding illegal pickups. In both cases, I was informed that it was illegal to pick up passengars in those locations and big fines were headed my way. I was very lucky to talk my way out of these and move on. SOOOOO, here is the question as it relates to Uber backing up and supporting the Uber driver if they were hit with these big fines and had to go to court to fight the ticket. Uber has been very clear that they will help fight the ticket for this particular cause.

Has anyone been fined for illegal pickups where law enforcement states that the driver does not have the correct permits to pick up PAX in that location? Did Uber send in the lawyers to help? Who won and who lost their cases? And how much money did you ultimately have to shell out to keep your car and win your case?

I'm ultimately curious if we end up eating more costs that Uber promises we will never have to pay.

2. 5 Star Guy

5 Star Guy

If you think about it those promises are when they open a new market and there's a ton of gray areas they are pushing for. It's always up to the driver to know the rules and laws, unless its for their interest. I can't imagine there's a case, after they enter a new market successfully, its on you.

tohunt4me and Modern-Day-Slavery like this.
  3. I generally had two thoughts in mind when I originally posted this last night. First was around Uber actually coming through and winning these fights that they say are legal when the local constabulary says the exact opposite. The second is in line with your comment on research and learn. In my dealings within the last 2 weeks, I have seen that Uber pushes their own agenda, says things are legal when they aren't at the town/airport level and misleads on insurance and potential pitfalls if you really do get in an accident with a PAX on board. I'm 99% towards shutting down and not Uber driving again. Too much subterfuge and slight of hand.

tohunt4me likes this.
  4. 5 Star Guy

5 Star Guy

Just keep in mind you are not fully covered in NJ. Other than that I think you know any rules and laws now you need to follow, you should be set.

tohunt4me likes this.
  5. tradedate

tradedate

Driving:
    UberX
    Aren't there a bunch of threads in the New Jersey sub forum about how drivers routinely get tickets? I remember reading that they report it to Uber. Uber sends them to court with a lawyer who pleads it down and Uber pays the fine.

Check the NJ threads to confirm this.

5 Star Guy likes this.
  6. I had indeed read some of those threads but they never really gave answers to Ubers success rate on winning cases. Even if Uber did win a case, did the driver still lose money to the court system in the end.

7. 5 Star Guy

5 Star Guy

I think most of those cases were not related to the airports. Its clear, including Boston that it is not allowed, you need a permit where it is an issue, which drivers can't apply for.

8. Modern-Day-Slavery

Modern-Day-Slavery

Driving:
    UberX
    Well said.

9. Schwaeky

Schwaeky

Driving:
    UberX
    Sounds like if you get an airport ping should find out exactly where they are what they look like remove trade dress to pick them up to avoid flack.then for all the po po know you are picking a friend up.

10. 5 Star Guy

5 Star Guy

Plenty of people have gotten tickets for it so its not so easy and not recommended. Pax would need to sit in the front, fast, you and the pax can't use your app and GPS, you should know where you are taking your friend. Then like you said, is that you Bob, well you gained a lot of weight on vacation, I didn't recognize you.

11. Schwaeky

Schwaeky

Driving:
    UberX
    Keep it in background till u pull away from the airport after your start ride, power down screen . Can't harass you in transit if you already picked up.