• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Been Driving 2 weeks part time.

mwasie01

Here is what I have noticed so far:

- Driving in Wilmington during the day is a waste of time. There is too much traffic, no one tips and it takes forever to get where you are going. Drove like 6 hours and after expenses I made like 37$ the other day. I have no idea why where are so many uber drivers out there driving in the day time.

- Driving at night is decent, it seems like you make around 15$ an hour, but that only depends on tips. So, if people don't tip, you are screwed. There are still a crazy amount of people out there driving uber at night.

- Getting surge pricing is rare.

- pizza delivery drivers make more, but have to commit to a schedule. Which, I don't want to do.

- avoid taking calls more than 10 minutes away. Chances are, you are driving 5 miles to drive someone 2 miles.

Does this mesh with you guys? I have only driven around 60 or so trips so far, so please correct me if this isn't your experience.

pilot2fly

Hey there, I am going to start driving next week. I've heard the best spots to wait are Mayfaire, downtown, and Wrightsville Beach. Weekend nights downtown supposedly make the most money

mwasie01

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There really is no spot to wait. Lets say you get a call in Mayfair it takes you to Carolina Beach. From Carolina Beach to monkey junction, etc. You have to find the right time for you to wait. I like driving in the middle of the night because there is no traffic. Driving during the day is busy, but I can't take the traffic. I only drive like 10 hours a week.

pilot2fly

Here are my thoughts after a few weekend afternoons:

Averaging $12-$13 per hour between Uber and Lyft.

Airport is useless. Sat right at Arrivals after a very large jet landed, got nothing.

Surge is sporadic and not worth chasing. I was downtown and got nothing while it was surging.

Best places are the beach and downtown for sure! I often end up near Hoggard High a lot. Very little Mayfaire.

Lyft is extremely under served here. Lots of Lyft riders, but not enough drivers. I use Mystro to run both apps at once. I'll often get Lyft requests in W.B. while I'm downtown. Crazy! Lots of times the rides are just too far away with Lyft to be profitable, often 15 mins or more.

Based on my runs so far, it seems like Wilmington is oversaturated with Uber drivers, as I am getting a lot more pings with Lyft, even in the hot zones.

People seem to be very nice and polite. Easy to make good conversation and very considerate riders so far.

mwasie01

I am about two months in now. I purchased a used Prius to cut down on expenses. I am averaging 54 mpg. I am averaging 15-25$ per hour not including expenses. The down side is you seem to only make money after 11 pm - 3 am. It seems that you have to do a ton of rides to get anything. I am doing 35 - 45 rides per week part time and making anywhere from 250-350 a week. I am hoping to have the Prius paid off by November. Lyft is annoying because there aren't enough drivers and you will get calls 15-20 minutes away. I decline around 60% of lyft requests.

pilot2fly

I echo your sentiments on Lyft. I get way too many Lyft requests that are well over 15 minutes away. Just not worth the long drive to take someone 3 miles, especially when it's during the day. I end up declining most of my Lyft requests because of it.

Have not tried evenings yet. are the 11pm-3am runs strictly the best on Friday and Saturday night? Or are they good during the week too? I'm just worried about drunks puking in my car and causing a mess. I am considering driving on weekday evenings after the evening rush. Profitable or no?

mwasie01

For me, late night is where it's at. People don't tip during the day at all. I worked from 9 pm - 3 am Friday night, and 2 pm - 3 pm and 6 pm - 1 am Saturday. That's 14 hours total for the week. I made 350$. A total of 45$ came from Tips. The sad thing is that I do want Lyft to be sucessiful here, but their guarantees are ridiculous. I really don't like downtown and surrounding areas because most of the trips are short. I try to stay in wrightsville beach Ogden area. I avoid Hampstead, Leland, Carolina Beach, etc without a surge because the cost in getting there. I also avoid the college, the trips are short and they don't tip. Now, if downtown is surging I will pick up an individual, take them where they have to go and then turn off the app. Return down town and repeat until the surge is over. I wish Uber made it easier to see how saturated an area is in drivers so you can get out of there. During the week days, Monday-Thursday, you tend to pull in 15ish an hour after 6. I have done around 400-500 trips since February and have yet to have someone throw up in my car. I have had a couple people try to get frisky in the back seat of my car. Really not cool. I keep paper towels, fabreeze and armorall on hand. The good thing about evenings is that there is no traffic and it is not as hot as during the day. I tried to do some yesterday afternoon, but it was just too miserably hot. I drive a hybrid and running air at full will kill off my battery.

pilot2fly

Thanks for your insights. Definitely seems like weekend nights are where it's at. I worked 11am-5pm last Saturday and Sunday and only made $150 with tips. I may give nights a shot in the future.