• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Beacon Spy

Risab1981

Did you guys know/see this?
The beacon has all kinds of sensors inside that initiate a ride check if you get into an accident and reaches out to both parties. No way to cover up a fender bender. Uber will know the second you get into an accident (and probably de-activate you while they "investigate" )

I did not know this.

SKuber

The beacon has all kinds of sensors inside that initiate a ride check if you get into an accident and reaches out to both parties. No way to cover up a fender bender. Uber will know the second you get into an accident (and probably de-activate you while they "investigate" )

I did not know this.
Don't be surprised if the Lyft Amp does the same. Never used either other than for garage nightlights.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Why did all 3 of my Beacons have to die? Because multiple instances of pax:

#3: Turning my beacon bright pink while I'm sitting amongst a bunch of glowing pink Lyft drivers and then calling to say they can't find me.

#2: Turning it any color and then on a wide open road with no other cars in sight, calling to ask where I am.

And..........Drumroll...........................

#1: Not using it at all and instead sending Uber's canned text message;

"I'm holding up a purple light on my phone."

Brunch

That doesn't surprise me... Remember when Uber was showing our hard braking and quick acceleration? I'm sure that data is still being collected, but we just don't see it. Some insurance companies are doing that kind of stuff now too.

dimwit_driver

Your phone has an accelerometer. This is how your phone reorients between portrait and landscape, counts your steps, and detects how fast you and your car accelerate and slow down. Uber may access this, but they didn't invent this, and they're not the only ones collecting your data.

Dammit Mazzacane

I did not know this.
How would it be able to identify and contact the other party in an accident? This doesn't add up to me.

Brunch

The Uber driver and the passenger are the two parties connected to a trip. Here is another link I got from the first link I posted: https://www.uber.com/newsroom/raisingthebar/ It is called Ride Check and it's active with just your smart phone. The beacon makes determining when an accident takes place more accurate.

"Since the very first Uber ride in 2010, GPS data has been used to put every trip on the map, so we know where and when you’re riding and who’s behind the wheel. But we can do more: by harnessing the power of GPS and other sensors in the driver’s smartphone, our technology can detect possible crashes."

"Enter Ride Check: a new feature to help make sure you are OK in the event of a possible crash, and give you tools to get help quickly. When a Ride Check is initiated, riders and drivers will be prompted to use our Safety Toolkit, which includes the option for 911 assistance. Our safety team can also followup by phone to make sure everyone is safe."

Last edited:

K-pax

Call me weird, but I don’t have a problem with this. I’ve had some a hole try to make a false accident claim about a trip before. Yes, I have a dashcam too, but more evidence about what actually happened can only help in those situations (I kept getting the incident report email twice a day for 6-10 months after the hub suposedly cleared me after looking at the car).

Are people getting into accidents on trips that are their fault?

Risab1981

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Call me weird, but I don’t have a problem with this. I’ve had some a hole try to make a false accident claim about a trip before. Yes, I have a dashcam too, but more evidence about what actually happened can only help in those situations (I kept getting the incident report email twice a day for 6-10 months after the hub suposedly cleared me after looking at the car).

Are people getting into accidents on trips that are their fault?
I'm with you. I don't care either, however like I mentioned originally, an issue could arise for those who depend on this gig as their primary income, when someone hits out, or you hit them because they pulled out in front of you. So it's not your fault, but now with this beacon, it's just another set of sensors to pick up that accident, where it may not have with just your phone. Now Uber knows you've been in an accident, no matter who's fault and will most likely call you and your PAX, and as soon as it's confirmed, I'm willing to bet you're Offline until they inspect it, or it's fixed, where before, maybe you just have a scratched bumper/bent fender and could keep driving.

You phone is on a mount that can take some rocking back and fourth and a small impact may not trigger anything from it's sensors. That becaon is sitting pretty damn firm on that magnet and is very stationary until you pull it off.

mark_mark

I'm with you. I don't care either, however like I mentioned originally, an issue could arise for those who depend on this gig as their primary income, when someone hits out, or you hit them because they pulled out in front of you. So it's not your fault, but now with this beacon, it's just another set of sensors to pick up that accident, where it may not have with just your phone. Now Uber knows you've been in an accident, no matter who's fault and will most likely call you and your PAX, and as soon as it's confirmed, I'm willing to bet you're Offline until they inspect it, or it's fixed, where before, maybe you just have a scratched bumper/bent fender and could keep driving.

You phone is on a mount that can take some rocking back and fourth and a small impact may not trigger anything from it's sensors. That becaon is sitting pretty damn firm on that magnet and is very stationary until you pull it off.
Just wait till 5g network becone common! tge waves are so short that it will damage your DNA or some research said... rewrite your DNA!

Soygreen is People