Be Warned ... ATO is coming

Uberdar

Couple of fellow drivers have just received letters from ATO telling them to get tax affairs and GST into order or face prosecution. ATO is being lenient until year end but after that good luck if you haven't registered for gst or declared income because they know exactly who you are.

AvengingxxAngel

Looks like Uber will have a few less drivers until these drivers pay up what they owe. Poor guys, I feel bad for them, reaping the mistakes Uber made.

NZShaker

Looks like Uber will have a few less drivers until these drivers pay up what they owe. Poor guys, I feel bad for them, reaping the mistakes Uber made.

Why sorry...People dont understand you make money in Australia u pay Taxes

Then there is PAYG

All these need to be looked at when starting a business

When my mate started with the post office as a contractor they didnt tell him about GST and PAYG

Not defending Goober but people need to be responsible for themselves as well

AvengingxxAngel

Then there is PAYG

When my mate started with the post office as a contractor they didnt tell him about GST and PAYG

Who do you use for your class 26 or class 4 ctp? I've looked at different insurers and haven't seen one that has class 26. Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong things, but I need to get it sorted asap.

NZShaker

Who do you use for your class 26 or class 4 ctp? I've looked at different insurers and haven't seen one that has class 26. Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong things, but I need to get it sorted asap.

I haven't gotten the change yet.

I posted a link the other day that showed about 3 or 4 insures that covered you..

I think one was RACQ which is what my car is currently with and my 2 motorbikes so ill go with them..$550 odd i think it was

AvengingxxAngel

I haven't gotten the change yet.

I posted a link the other day that showed about 3 or 4 insures that covered you..

I think one was RACQ which is what my car is currently with and my 2 motorbikes so ill go with them..$550 odd i think it was
Does RACQ cover comprehensive rideshare? I changed mine from real insurance to NRMA. A driver had a prang with someone and his insurance company wouldn't cover him because he's an Uber driver. I know ALLIANZ cover rideshare. I had a look at RACQ when looking for a comprehensive insurance quote but never saw rideshare on there so moved on.

If I knew RACQ had rideshare insurance I would've went with them as I know they pay out with claims, but I also know NRMA pay out with claims so it's all good either way.

Golfer

Then there is PAYG

Yeh "death and taxes"at least 2 things are constant in our lives

Bandy

Does RACQ cover comprehensive rideshare? I changed mine from real insurance to NRMA. A driver had a prang with someone and his insurance company wouldn't cover him because he's an Uber driver. I know ALLIANZ cover rideshare. I had a look at RACQ when looking for a comprehensive insurance quote but never saw rideshare on there so moved on.

If I knew RACQ had rideshare insurance I would've went with them as I know they pay out with claims, but I also know NRMA pay out with claims so it's all good either way.
Yes they do, I'm with Allianz...

AvengingxxAngel

Yeah, pays to be fully compliant so you don't have to stress about legal action or any other consequences. Still, Uber had a responsibility to these drivers who are now taking the blunt edge of the sword.

Golfer

Yeah, pays to be fully compliant so you don't have to stress about legal action or any other consequences. Still, Uber had a responsibility to these drivers who are now taking the blunt edge of the sword.

Was just at Martin St hub , 10.00am and as the song says"and still they come" lined up 6 deep ,unless uber are giving something for free, ???? ,took one look am now enjoying breakfast.

One hour later 11.00am ,worse couldn,t get into car park , cars double parked .

Last edited:

Jack Malarkey

I worked for the Tax Office from March 1979 to to August 2002 in Melbourne and then Canberra.

I recall being on duty in the public enquiries area of the Melbourne office in 1979 when a man with very limited English came in balling his eyes out.

He had received a document entitled a Warrant of Execution. This authorised the court sheriff to seize assets to the value of an unpaid income tax debt.

He had had a friend translate the document for him. The trouble was that he really thought he was going to be executed for failing to pay his income tax.

We then reassured him that there were no such plans and his tears were soon replaced by a grin from ear to ear.

I just hope that these days the Victorian court system has a more appropriate name for this document than Warrant of Execution.

Last edited:

Golfer

I worked for the Tax Office from March 1979 to to August 2002 in Melbourne and then Canberra.

I recall being on duty in the public enquiries area of the Melbourne office in 1979 when a man with very limited English came in balling his eyes out.

He had received a document entitled a Warrant of Execution. This authorised the court bailiff to seize assets to the value of an unpaid income tax debt.

He had had a friend translate the document for him. The trouble was that he really thought he was going to be executed for failing to pay his income tax.

We then reassured him that there were no such plans and his tears were soon replaced by a grin from ear to ear.

I just hope that these days the Victorian court system has a more appropriate name for this document than Warrant of Execution.

As the Galt pointed out the other day ,the English language is full of innuendo
But that is the best example I have heard.

Or may I say double "entendre" but i can,t put the acute over the " e " like the Galt can ,he loves his French

Last edited:

AvengingxxAngel

He had received a document entitled a Warrant of Execution. This authorised the court bailiff to seize assets to the value of an unpaid income tax debt.

Warrant of execution does sound rather daunting.

Jack Malarkey

Last edited:

Golfer

Was just at Martin St hub , 10.00am and as the song says"and still they come" lined up 6 deep ,unless uber are giving something for free, ???? ,took one look am now enjoying breakfast.

One hour later 11.00am ,worse couldn,t get into car park , cars double parked .

1.00 pm still chochers. Think I,ll go to my mechanic, for safety certificate, he will do it on the spot for some dollars. It,s abit of a ,waste of time ,trying to get into Martin St. At the moment, with all these new Gov. Regs. Which i suspect may have something to do ( but not sure) with the crowds gathering

There was always ample parking at Hendra, ah the good old, days

Last edited: