Be Careful With That Hand Sanitizer

MHR

”Most people leave their sanitizer in the center console of their car, making it easy to get into your car, remove your mask and gloves if you’re wearing them, and lather up your hands to reduce your risk of infection.

However, experts have recently expressed some concern with leaving hand sanitizer in your car in light of the warmer summer weather we’re about to experience. It turns out that the combination of hand sanitizer in a hot car can cause be dangerous and cause some pretty unfortunate consequences.

“By its nature, hand sanitizer is essentially alcohol and therefore flammable,” stated a Milwaukee fire district in a Facebook post that’s since racked up thousands of shares. “Keeping it in your car during hot weather, exposing it to the sun, and being next to open flame such as grills can lead to disaster.””

I have also read that the heat can cause the alcohol to evaporate thus rendering it less effective.

New2This

”Most people leave their sanitizer in the center console of their car, making it easy to get into your car, remove your mask and gloves if you’re wearing them, and lather up your hands to reduce your risk of infection.

However, experts have recently expressed some concern with leaving hand sanitizer in your car in light of the warmer summer weather we’re about to experience. It turns out that the combination of hand sanitizer in a hot car can cause be dangerous and cause some pretty unfortunate consequences.

“By its nature, hand sanitizer is essentially alcohol and therefore flammable,” stated a Milwaukee fire district in a Facebook post that’s since racked up thousands of shares. “Keeping it in your car during hot weather, exposing it to the sun, and being next to open flame such as grills can lead to disaster.””

I have also read that the heat can cause the alcohol to evaporate thus rendering it less effective.
The fire will keep the murder hornets away right?

FB_IMG_1589412203693.jpg

_Tron_

OK Ma! I'll go out to the car and check on the snacks.
Classic L. Comes up with some unexpected or outrageous anecdote related to a thread that she did not start, that someone else brought up, and that it is clear her post was knowledge waiting in the wings and there was no way she could have thrown it together just for the thread. Classic L.

But try one one of these. Can place closer to house and your car won't smell like it's been used for Uber Eats.
1590201032569.png

Benjamin M

Yeah, mostly fake news. Just like photos circulating on Facebook of supposed third degree burns from cooking while using hand sanitizer.

Hand sanitizer will not spontaneously combust. The common formula will actually begin to evaporate, which is more of a concern - it will not be effective.

Over the years, I've had a variety of alcohol based hand sanitizer in incredibly hot vehicles. And a few lighters.

Did the 80%+ sanitizer explode? Nope! Did a few lighters? Oh, you betcha! But my car never caught fire, just a bunch of plastic to clean up.

For a hand sanitizer to be effective, it needs to contain a solution similar to something that is 2/3 isopropyl or ethanol and 1/3 aloe or glycerin. The alcohol is ignitable, so yeah it shouldn't be kept in direct sunlight or hot spaces, and because the aloe is more stable, it keeps its volume while the alcohol doesn't, causing the effectiveness to become diluted over time.

touberornottouber

ANT 7

Fake news again.

We had the same crap circulating about our newly introduced Canadian PLASTIC money when it first came out a few years ago.

Don't leave it in your car it will melt, freeze, etc, whatever. None of which actually happened of course.