Basic: Why wont Uber help a driver to find a fare heading towards Driver's home area?

Paul Romsky

I start from home and by the end of 8 hours I am 120 miles from home. If I am correct, Uber will not help je find a fare that takes me closer to home. I have to meet the pickup and then only find they want to go 20 miles further from home. I would have to cancel the trip and get gugged for it. A waste of the rider's time and not fair to the driver.
Post automatically merged:

Please forgive spelling, on a tablet today.

Dekero

The app has a destination filter. You can set that to your home address and the app is supposed to give you trips headed in that direction. It does not work perfectly, however.
Hahah he said destination filter.... That's cute

If I depended on a DF is get home sometime tomorrow nite...lol

oldfart

The app has a destination filter. You can set that to your home address and the app is supposed to give you trips headed in that direction. It does not work perfectly, however.

I think it actually says that it will give you a ride that brings you “closer” to home” not one in my direction
Last night I was 43 miles south from home. So a ride to the north would be “On my way” I got a 34 mile ride to the north east (Out of my way) .

The point it that the ride I got wasn’t on my way home. But I was closer to home than I was when I started

Paul Romsky

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all of your comments. I started to join Uber and stopped mid way and started to ask (via SMS) this question. Yup, I got a real human to help me set up my account and she said (unsolicited) she was there to help me set up my account and if I had any questions.
So I asked this one and the response was "...drivers would cherry pick". No mention of the "closer to home" feature or where to look to get all sorts if answers like that - I tried. I was rather and clear and even offered suggestions, but they as asking if still want to join. It seems they offer to answer "any questions" but really just want those on "how to set up an account" which is easy. I have seen all sorts of good tips (techniques) for driver, but not much from Uber, mostly Youtube.
Yes, Uber has a lot of FAQ, but when it is on topic Uber falls short on, it looks like those subjects are suspiciously not present.
I just want to get answers and be constructive but Uber seems to want to gloss over subjects like this - something that is good for the driver. Or am I wroung in all this?

How hard it would be for the app to have two buttons?
On "Ready for any Fare (outbound) " or "Ready for Fare Toward Home (inbound)"
How could a driver "cherry pick" from that?
The Uber system would simply find a fare heading closer to the driver's home (within a 90 degree sector) so the system helps to driver get fares on the way home (not too far out of the way) and still make money for Uber and the drivers while serving the customers.
This is a very simple algrithm and I could write the code and update with this in a day! Have they ever heard of the "Traveling Saleman Problem"?

Again, please forgive my typos; my typing window on my pad is small which makes it hard to proof read - I am not a touch typist, so I look at the keyboard more than the window - so bear with me.. thanks.

The answer is the same as it would be if you simply asked

Why wont Uber help a driver
Thanks, I just wanted to be very specific on this one particular subject. Also, simply starting a thread, "Why wont Uber help a driver" seems a bit harsh. I want to be nice and help Uber while trying to determine if Uber is right for me. This seems like such a simple app feature that should be there - the algorithm is not very complicated, just a simple 2D travelling salesman scenario.

I think it actually says that it will give you a ride that brings you “closer” to home” not one in my direction
Last night I was 43 miles south from home. So a ride to the north would be “On my way” I got a 34 mile ride to the north east (Out of my way) .

The point it that the ride I got wasn’t on my way home. But I was closer to home than I was when I started
Thanks! This is a good example where Uber is trying to help the driver but still missing the mark.
They are using the wrong algorithms.
One better on would be:
If you are 43 miles south of home, the Uber system (the powerhouse behind the app), should have created a sector (pie shape) between your location and home with home at the top virtex and your postion at the mean on the cir ular edge with 45 degrees on each side.
Then the system would wait for someone near you that needs to go somewhere in this sector. If that was done, Uber would not take you

Thanks! That is a great example.
Uber is using the wrong algorithms!
One better one would be:
The Uber system would calculate a sector (pie shape) from your home at the virtex and your location on the mean of the arc with say 22.5 degrees on each side. Then the system would wait until a fare close to you is within that sector... simple!

So, if you were say 43 miles south of home, the system would not take you 34 miles northeast. You may have to wait a few minutes but I would rather wait 10 minutes than be taken 30 minutes out of the way - albeit closer. Of course the algorith can use smaller sectors, say 5 miles out from home to improve yiur odds, but the system chooses the ride not the driver, and it is indeed closer to home. No cherry picking. This is high school math, what is with Uber.?

Last edited:

ANT 7

I remember when I started climbing the learning curve.

Don't ask for things that might make sense, or even possibly work properly.

Take what you've got and use the Mk 1 eyeball to figure the rest out.

oldfart

Thanks for all of your comments. I started to join Uber and stopped mid way and started to ask (via SMS) this question. Yup, I got a real human to help me set up my account and she said (unsolicited) she was there to help me set up my account and if I had any questions.
So I asked this one and the response was "...drivers would cherry pick". No mention of the "closer to home" feature or where to look to get all sorts if answers like that - I tried. I was rather and clear and even offered suggestions, but they as asking if still want to join. It seems they offer to answer "any questions" but really just want those on "how to set up an account" which is easy. I have seen all sorts of good tips (techniques) for driver, but not much from Uber, mostly Youtube.
Yes, Uber has a lot of FAQ, but when it is on topic Uber falls short on, it looks like those subjects are suspiciously not present.
I just want to get answers and be constructive but Uber seems to want to gloss over subjects like this - something that is good for the driver. Or am I wroung in all this?

How hard it would be for the app to have two buttons?
On "Ready for any Fare (outbound) " or "Ready for Fare Toward Home (inbound)"
How could a driver "cherry pick" from that?
The Uber system would simply find a fare heading closer to the driver's home (within a 90 degree sector) so the system helps to driver get fares on the way home (not too far out of the way) and still make money for Uber and the drivers while serving the customers.
This is a very simple algrithm and I could write the code and update with this in a day! Have they ever heard of the "Traveling Saleman Problem"?

Again, please forgive my typos; my typing window on my pad is small which makes it hard to proof read - I am not a touch typist, so I look at the keyboard more than the window - so bear with me.. thanks.

Thanks, I just wanted to be very specific on this one particular subject. Also, simply starting a thread, "Why wont Uber help a driver" seems a bit harsh. I want to be nice and help Uber while trying to determine if Uber is right for me. This seems like such a simple app feature that should be there - the algorithm is not very complicated, just a simple 2D travelling salesman scenario.

Thanks! This is a good example where Uber is trying to help the driver but still missing the mark.
They are using the wrong algorithms.
One better on would be:
If you are 43 miles south of home, the Uber system (the powerhouse behind the app), should have created a sector (pie shape) between your location and home with home at the top virtex and your postion at the mean on the cir ular edge with 45 degrees on each side.
Then the system would wait for someone near you that needs to go somewhere in this sector. If that was done, Uber would not take you

Thanks! That is a great example.
Uber is using the wrong algorithms!
One better one would be:
The Uber system would calculate a sector (pie shape) from your home at the virtex and your location on the mean of the arc with say 22.5 degrees on each side. Then the system would wait until a fare close to you is within that sector... simple!

So, if you were say 43 miles south of home, the system would not take you 34 miles northeast. You may have to wait a few minutes but I would rather wait 10 minutes than be taken 30 minutes out of the way - albeit closer. Of course the algorith can use smaller sectors, say 5 miles out from home to improve yiur odds, but the system chooses the ride not the driver, and it is indeed closer to home. No cherry picking. This is high school math, what is with Uber.?
I disagree
Uber is not using the wrong algorithm, They are using the algorithm,they are using; Our job is not to advise them, rather our job is to figure out what they are doing and make it work to our advantage... ie "adapt or die"

Coastal_Cruiser

So I asked this one and the response was "...drivers would cherry pick". No mention of the "closer to home" feature or where to look to get all sorts if answers like that - I tried.
The rep is kinda sorta incorrect on that. As noted, the closest thing to what you want is the Destination Mode on the app. Tap the magnifying glass in upper left corner and type in your home 20.

DM is a highly imperfect algo for what you want, as it will offer rides that may take you the opposite direction at first and leave you 1 mile in the direction of home after the drop off. But, some rides will indeed pay your way home well, and it is better than the method you are using now.

If you drive often enough to reach gold status you may also get a look at the pickup point before you accept the ride.

Cheers!

Paul Romsky

I remember when I started climbing the learning curve.

Don't ask for things that might make sense, or even possibly work properly.

Take what you've got and use the Mk 1 eyeball to figure the rest out.
Ant 7,
Thanks for the advice. I could use the ole Mark One Eyeball, but the computer should do all the work, except for the driving... just get me home Uber and not gig me in the process [smile].
Yes, I know I am asking for something that will most likely be ignored. I just had to let Uber know their method could be improved (maybe they would get more drivers). But the way it works now is not attractive to me so I will not join Uber (thats -1 for them) for that and some other reasons I did not mention.

IR12

I start from home and by the end of 8 hours I am 120 miles from home. If I am correct, Uber will not help je find a fare that takes me closer to home. I have to meet the pickup and then only find they want to go 20 miles further from home. I would have to cancel the trip and get gugged for it. A waste of the rider's time and not fair to the driver.

Please forgive spelling, on a tablet today.
Uber does only that which benefits UBER.
If you want a friend, get a dog.

Coachman

Wait, you're not signing up with Uber because somebody told you the destination filter doesn't work well? :confusion:

Paul Romsky

The rep is kinda sorta incorrect on that. As noted, the closest thing to what you want is the Destination Mode on the app. Tap the magnifying glass in upper left corner and type in your home 20.

DM is a highly imperfect algo for what you want, as it will offer rides that may take you the opposite direction at first and leave you 1 mile in the direction of home after the drop off. But, some rides will indeed pay your way home well, and it is better than the method you are using now.

If you drive often enough to reach gold status you may also get a look at the pickup point before you accept the ride.

Cheers!
Thanks, Uber made no mention of any of that. It may be in their FAQ or somewhere but I didn't find it.
I am not using any method right now but it is clear that the way Uber works does not help a driver find an efficient way home other than DM. My alogorithm was off the top if my head. I think I will model one that would meet my needs - just for fun. But Uber did say I don't get to know the destination until I pick up the fare. And if that fare is not working me closer to home in a more direct path, then cancelling rides that do not go home (DM or not) will be logged against me and they would shut be down. Any way... I don't like the Uber works so I will not join.

Uber doesn't want you to go home.
Uber is Queen, and the Queen demands all ants to remain on the constant roam.
View attachment 374074
Gube!
Thanks, I like that graphic! I was thinking it would make more of a Gypsy - roming town to town never really making it home [laugh].

Uber does only that which benefits UBER.
If you want a friend, get a dog.
IR12,
Thanks!
I wasn't looking for Uber to be my friend, but I was hoping they cared more about drivers and offering only the poor DM mode is not attri tive to me [smile]. But I have a cat - and he is a good friend. It is sad the Uber does not seem to improve from thevdriver side.

Wait, you're not signing up with Uber because somebody told you the destination filter doesn't work well? :confusion:
Coachman,
Sadly, yes... Uber told me that if I cancel too many fares, which I do not know the destination until I pick up, they will suspend me.
So I know of many ways they could improve their DM, but they dont seem to care...continuous improvement is big in any industry but the poor DM mode is not attractive to me. I am modeling an improved algorithm but I will not share it with Uber because they seem to care about the drivers too much... maybe because they are accounts payable [laugh]

Thanks, Uber made no mention of any of that. It may be in their FAQ or somewhere but I didn't find it.
I am not using any method right now but it is clear that the way Uber works does not help a driver find an efficient way home other than DM. My alogorithm was off the top if my head. I think I will model one that would meet my needs - just for fun. But Uber did say I don't get to know the destination until I pick up the fare. And if that fare is not working me closer to home in a more direct path, then cancelling rides that do not go home (DM or not) will be logged against me and they would shut be down. Any way... I don't like the Uber works so I will not join.

Gube!
Thanks, I like that graphic! I was thinking it would make more of a Gypsy - roming town to town never really making it home [laugh].

IR12,
Thanks!
I wasn't looking for Uber to be my friend, but I was hoping they cared more about drivers and offering only the poor DM mode is not attri tive to me [smile]. But I have a cat - and he is a good friend. It is sad the Uber does not seem to improve from thevdriver side.

Coachman,
Sadly, yes... Uber told me that if I cancel too many fares, which I do not know the destination until I pick up, they will suspend me.
So I know of many ways they could improve their DM, but they dont seem to care...continuous improvement is big in any industry but the poor DM mode is not attractive to me. I am modeling an improved algorithm but I will not share it with Uber because they seem to care about the drivers too much... maybe because they are accounts payable [laugh]
They do not seem to care that is.

Last edited:

kingcorey321

this filter used to work very well a year ago. lack of drivers is the problem uber will say its on your way home but its not .
i do food delivers i got 30 minutes away from home not common by the way usually im no more then 20 . i said shoot why not pick up a pax on the way home extra money . second time uber tried to trick me . des filter pax gets in i start the trip check the map i then check driving directions from the pax drop off to see if its closer . nope its 5 minutes further away . trip would of took 33 minutes only to make 7 dollars profit and dead head home . i took the uber stickers out of my car that very same day . uber sucks .
ow yes i kicked the pax out and deadhead home with a smile on my face 200 dollar day door dash and grub hub little over 9 hours

Paul Romsky

Thanks to all for the feedback!
Uber in my opinion needs some improvements, so I have decided not the join because it may turn me into a wondeting gypsy, never making it home.
But then again... Romsky in Romainian means Gypsy... so mabybe Uber is my destiny [laugh].

Paul Romsky

this filter used to work very well a year ago. lack of drivers is the problem uber will say its on your way home but its not .
i do food delivers i got 30 minutes away from home not common by the way usually im no more then 20 . i said shoot why not pick up a pax on the way home extra money . second time uber tried to trick me . des filter pax gets in i start the trip check the map i then check driving directions from the pax drop off to see if its closer . nope its 5 minutes further away . trip would of took 33 minutes only to make 7 dollars profit and dead head home . i took the uber stickers out of my car that very same day . uber sucks .
ow yes i kicked the pax out and deadhead home with a smile on my face 200 dollar day door dash and grub hub little over 9 hours
Kingcory321,
My situation will take me over 50 miles south from home to Logan airport, I live in a small rural town with no fast food or bars around, mostly affluent mcmansions and farms.
So I expect my first fare every day would be to Logan - a long ride in traffic. Then the way the system works - even with DM, I may be told to pick up a fare that is a tiny bit closer to home but on the other side of the map just north instead... not much help. But I am not allowed to see the destination until I pick up, and if I cancel too much that counts against me.
So the app did work better A YEAR AGO? Aaaaaaahhh, less drivers so they runied the algorithm to make you think it is closer to home to get more drivers to take fares even in DM... sneaky and unethical it seems.
That does suck. The idea id rideshare is not just about the passengers, it is the drivers too... I guess Uber is less concerned about that. Thus why I am not joiung Uber. Thanks!

Stop asking questions, ant. DRIVE AIMLESSLY!! :p
I agree, this all came out as I was signing up to be a driver! I stopped before I sent them my insurance card but they do have my drivers license. They offered to answer questions via text I but soon found out they didn't want to answer details like this, only answers to gelp me sign up. I guess I dodged the bullet. Thanks!

Last edited: