BAS question

x'ing

Hi guys,

I paid my registration 3 weeks ago. Am I suppose to include this in my gst calculation for this quarter. If so, do I put down the full amount $780.xx (or work out the cost for 3 months )

ScottieB

You need to run a log book for min 3 months which will then prove your Uber usage, then work out the GST

MyRedUber

You're entitled to claim the GST component as a deduction against your GST liability in the quarter in which you spent the money.
But, you're only permitted to claim a percentage of that GST component equal to the percentage of your total Km that was for business purposes.

x'ing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're entitled to claim the GST component as a deduction against your GST liability in the quarter in which you spent the money.
But, you're only permitted to claim a percentage of that GST component equal to the percentage of your total Km that was for business purposes.
Rhs

Graham J

I think Scottie and MyRedUber made the point that you must firstly determine your percentage of business/personal usage which needs 12 weeks of maintaining a logbook. So rego is an interesting one because there is both a GST and a non GST component. Best explained by an example: Let's say your prorata business/personal is 80% which you will determine from your logbook in 12 weeks time. Now using my last rego statement the total cost was Registration Fee $270.40, TAC Charge $396 and Insurance Duty $39.60 making a grand total of $706. BUT the only component of that charge that carried GST was the TAC charge of $396.

So breaking that down

ex GST expenses 0.8*(270.40 + 396/1.1 + 39.60) = $536. This amount is the expense which you can claim as expenditure against revenue

GST inclusive expense is 0.8 * 396 = $316.80

So on your BAS statement you can claim $316.80 / 11 = $28.80 as a GST credit (1B GST on Expenses) and this is claimed wholly in the quarter in which you incurred the expense

Hope this makes sense?

x'ing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did not realise component of the registration does not include gst. Thanks for pointing that out. I only use the car for uber.

Graham J

You're welcome! You'll also see that on your insurance premiums where some parts are GST exempt. If your car is exclusively for Uber then your prorata obviously becomes 100%. Using a simple spreadsheet a typical bookkeeping entry for your expenses might look like this (based on 80% prorata)
upload_2016-7-24_21-2-2.png