• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Bankrupt: I'm going back to driving a taxi soon.

Another Uber Driver

I bounce back and forth between the cab and TNC, depending on what I think will pay better that day. The weekends are usually always TNC. Every so often, though, the cab will be better. There is a footrace through the streets of the City to-day, so, if I do TNC, I am heading for the suburbs. Fortunately, working the suburbs is an option that TNC work gives you that the cab does not. If I do not get out until late, I will drive the cab, as it is easier to take street hails than it is to find some X user in a crowd. If I do get an Uber Taxi ping (that is available here), those users are hip and actually will summon a taxi from somewhere that the driver actually can get to them.

If Congress is here, it is the cab during the week. If Congress is out, I drive the TNC car most of the time. I might drive the cab one or two days, mostly to cover weekly expenses such as stand dues and insurance.

I own the cab, so I do not have to worry about paying rent.

Is a "Skimp" in Chattanooga someone who runs out without paying? We veterans in the Capital of Your Nation call that either "getting sweated" or a "pork chop". The latter was used in only one cab company, but, that was my company, for most of the time that I have been out here.

Hopindrew

Unfortunately since the Uber and Lyft scam started it’s hard to get rides as a cab driver otherwise I’d be in my cab earning a decent wage

Another Uber Driver

Unfortunately since the Uber and Lyft scam started it’s hard to get rides as a cab driver otherwise I’d be in my cab earning a decent wage
I guess that you got hit harder in the Carolinas than did we in the Capital of Your Nation. Here, convenience still rules. People still use cabs, here. It is just too easy to hail a cab. Further, given the taxes on the rides and all of the fees and what that Uber attaches, here, the cab is cheaper for the short trips, anyhow. Unless it is a really l ong trip, the UberX is about as much as a cab for the other trips.

The two noticeable differences here are:

A. We take a harder beating than we used to when Congress goes out. Fortunately, I have the option of leaving the cab at home and driving the Uber/Lyft car. Most hackers here do not have that option.

B. UberX and Lyft have totally ruined weekend hacking and hacking in the residential neighbourhoods. I never used to work either Downtown or Capitol Hill. That is mostly what I work now. I have not had to work the hotels, tourist attractions or
Union Station, Y-E-T, but, that may come at some point.

We do have Uber Taxi, here, so that does help a bit.

Hopindrew

I guess that you got hit harder in the Carolinas than did we in the Capital of Your Nation. Here, convenience still rules. People still use cabs, here. It is just too easy to hail a cab. Further, given the taxes on the rides and all of the fees and what that Uber attaches, here, the cab is cheaper for the short trips, anyhow. Unless it is a really l ong trip, the UberX is about as much as a cab for the other trips.

The two noticeable differences here are:

A. We take a harder beating than we used to when Congress goes out. Fortunately, I have the option of leaving the cab at home and driving the Uber/Lyft car. Most hackers here do not have that option.

B. UberX and Lyft have totally ruined weekend hacking and hacking in the residential neighbourhoods. I never used to work either Downtown or Capitol Hill. That is mostly what I work now. I have not had to work the hotels, tourist attractions or
Union Station, Y-E-T, but, that may come at some point.

We do have Uber Taxi, here, so that does help a bit.
Destroyed downtown business first then the airport business. Went from making $170-$370 a day down to $40-$80 a day before gas in the busy season at the airport. Getting a fare downtown became just about impossible.

Another Uber Driver

Destroyed downtown business first then the airport business. Went from making $170-$370 a day down to $40-$80 a day before gas in the busy season at the airport. Getting a fare downtown became just about impossible.

:jawdrop: From your figures, "got hit harder" is now entered in the Understatement Of The Year Contest (I always did have a gift for understatement, but, my understatement is so far under that Australia looks like it is at the North Pole).

The guys at National Airport here have noticed some downturn, but, the real pros there have adapted. The guys at Dulles and Friendship were having it hard even before Uber and Lyft. It is far worse for them. I do not see how they make it.

We have another cab driver on these Boards in the Carolinas, I think that he is in Charlotte. His ID is @TwoFiddyMile . He has adapted, as well, or so it seems, but he admits that it ain't what it used to be. It certainly is not, here, but, if you know what you are doing and work a little harder and much smarter, you can survive.

Here, too, we have been kicked around and abused for so long that the smarter of us learned how to survive in the face of adversity. The hardest hit that we took, oddly enough, was not Uber, but it was when Our Former Dear Revered Leader Kim il-Fenty ordered meters put into the cabs in 2008 and ordered them set to 1989 cab rates. To add to the misery, he encouraged one of the cab Insurance Company principals to bring in unlicenced drivers from out-of-state and put them into cabs. We had drivers who were losing their homes and getting into collisions because they were working around the clock. That was temporary, as Fenty did get primaried after his first term. He pee-yo-ed more than the cab drivers, although no less an organ than The Wall Street Journal did blame the D.C. cab drivers for the demise of His Exalted Supremacy, Adri-Amin Felonty. We certainly did trash-talk Fenty to our customers.

Uber, on the other hand, is a long-term adversity. Even if it and Lyft were to collapse to-morrow, by Wednesday next, there would be five TNCs signing up drivers to replace them.

Jamul

Normally, this is painfully embarrassing, but I have to tell, so others know they are not alone.

Financed car is more trouble than it is worth; combined with huge hospital bill! I tried to stabilize things with Chapter 13 payment plan after first car was totaled. Uber fired me over fraudulent complaint, and my earnings suffered too much, making me stay out there way too long to keep up with my bills.

Lyft, Doordash cannot allow a man to support himself. They strive on market saturation and low pay. Every month I have to get an oil change. Last month it was transmission fluid, oil, filters (cabin, oil, engine); now brake pads are worn down to 3mm, let alone brake fluid change suggestion.

NO HEALTH INSURANCE.

Hospital bills went over $20,000.00, and soon as collections finds out I'm Chapter 13, they will want to add to it; thus, causing my payment plan to sky rocket.

I drove a taxi in Chattanooga two years before financing a car for rideshare. At least I can carry a firearm and not worry about star ratings!
After I retired I decided to drive part-time for Uber. I started by driving the wife’s car because mine was too old and I wasn’t sure Uber would be a good fit for me so I didn’t want to invest until I had decided rather or not to continue. Her car had less than 4,000 miles on it when I started Ubering it and the wife quickly decided (@ 6,000 miles) that I needed a newer car so I wouldn’t kill hers.

I sold my old 2000 Jeep Cherokee and picked up a used Volvo XC90 for cheap. It’s a 2014 and has 3rd row seating and leather so I can accept Uber X, XL, and Select customers. It also has 90K miles on it resulting in my spending about a grand getting it ready to go. The cost of the car, taxes, and all repairs cost nearly $11,000 but I have a very clean and comfortable ride for Ubering!

Michael1230nj

Normally, this is painfully embarrassing, but I have to tell, so others know they are not alone.

Financed car is more trouble than it is worth; combined with huge hospital bill! I tried to stabilize things with Chapter 13 payment plan after first car was totaled. Uber fired me over fraudulent complaint, and my earnings suffered too much, making me stay out there way too long to keep up with my bills.

Lyft, Doordash cannot allow a man to support himself. They strive on market saturation and low pay. Every month I have to get an oil change. Last month it was transmission fluid, oil, filters (cabin, oil, engine); now brake pads are worn down to 3mm, let alone brake fluid change suggestion.

NO HEALTH INSURANCE.

Hospital bills went over $20,000.00, and soon as collections finds out I'm Chapter 13, they will want to add to it; thus, causing my payment plan to sky rocket.

I drove a taxi in Chattanooga two years before financing a car for rideshare. At least I can carry a firearm and not worry about star ratings!
You had me till the Gun thing.

beebob

Sounds like a felony arrest, conviction and incarceration are a few steps up the food chain 4 u.
No taxes, no debt payments nor rent and free healthcare

Let’s get the ball rolling:
Take that peashooter of yours and rob a bank

Remember to smile for the security cameras and mug shot

Destitute Deactivated Uber Driver Attempts Bank Robbery
Post automatically merged:

Sounds like a felony arrest, conviction and incarceration are a few steps up the food chain 4 u.
No taxes, no debt payments nor rent and free healthcare

Let’s get the ball rolling:
Take that peashooter of yours and rob a bank

Remember to smile for the security cameras and mug shot

Destitute Deactivated Uber Driver Attempts Bank Robbery

FormerTaxiDriver♧

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just want to let everyone know that the light at the end of the tunnel is around me. Attached is a screen shot from Credit Karma of my debts being zeroed out by US bankruptcy court.

Screenshot_20190512-205831.png

OldBay

NO HEALTH INSURANCE.

Didn't you have Obamacare? Are you a citizen?

FormerTaxiDriver♧

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Didn't you have Obamacare? Are you a citizen?
By law, Americans are supposed to log in to the healthcare marketplace, and figure up their stuff for the next year during enrollment period. I never liked being forced to do that. However, since I reside in a red state, my requirement is a little different, and the poverty level has benefits too. So working at a loss, on a Schedule C deduction, I was not penalized for not having health insurance, but this year it changed. Nevertheless, if I got the bare minimum plan, I still would have a huge deductible before they payed anything.

Catch 22 / SNAFU

Another Uber Driver

if I got the bare minimum plan, I still would have a huge deductible before they payed anything.
This is one of the things that I hate about the We Are Telling You That You Can Afford This "Health Care" Act.

They tell me that I can afford something that I can not.
They compel me to purchase it with money that I do not have.
Once purchased, I can not afford to use it.

Essentially, I am paying for the dubious privilege of being my own primary insurer. At the same time, I am paying higher-than-primary rates for secondary coverage,

My premiums have more than doubled since the nanny staters first rammed this scam down my throat. My deductibles have more than doubled.

These crooked Democrats forced me to buy a flawed product and these dumb [donkey] Republicans can not fix it.