Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Most passengers are oblivious to everything that's not on their phone screen. Just because she didn't see what happened, doesn't mean she was paying attention

And better check your laws as well, lane changes are usually not "illegal" in the intersection, just frowned upon
Slamming on your brakes and turning anywhere you please unsafely is though and cab drivers do it all the time.

If you can't stop in time then you are tailgating. People driving behind me hate my safe following distance despite going the same speed as the car in front of me.
Next time you're being tailgated turn on your wipers and wash your windows and laugh as the person tailgating has to run their wipers. If you're really lucky they'll be driving a convertible.

There was an Uber driver in from of my son at a red light. When the light turned green the driver started to go and then abruptly slammed on the brakes and my son hit him. Didn't damage the Uber car but lots of damage to my son's car......
This sounds so much like what a lot of people out there believe. That these are Uber cars. Meaning Uber-owned cars. And that the driver is an Uber employee. And since Uber is worth 50 billion dollars, it's the ideal car to get into an accident with to then claim that the other car was at fault. Because Uber would be doubly responsible: As the owner of the car, and as the employer of the driver that was at fault.

This reminds me of what I heard a woman say the other day at a social occasion. Oh yeah, drivers get such a good deal with Uber. Uber gives them the cars to drive and the drivers pay for them by Uber taking a little bit of the money of the fares. We all know that even in the Santander rip-off system it was not fantasyland for the drivers. You bet I corrected her....

If you can't stop in time then you are tailgating. People driving behind me hate my safe following distance despite going the same speed as the car in front of me.
Next time you're being tailgated turn on your wipers and wash your windows and laugh as the person tailgating has to run their wipers. If you're really lucky they'll be driving a convertible.
Then you wait until they've just finished wiping your washer fluid off their windshield and give them another squirt. And then again.

The problem with that strategy is that most people are so moronic as drivers that they will not make the connection between getting water from your washer and them being too close to you. In their mind, that is the normal and correct distance.

I spoke to a cop here recently and he said they'd like to be pulling cabs over left/right but they don't have the manpower.
They will have to pull over the Uber drivers as well: U-turns without looking, pulling into a lane without signalling or looking, blowing lights, ignoring signs, yup the Uber drivers are doing it all........add to that hugging that GPS, with the result that they are paying no attention and run over more pedestrians in crosswalks (with pedestrian signals in their favour) than do the METRObus drivers.

Slamming on your brakes and turning anywhere you please unsafely is though and cab drivers do it all the time.
Along with parking in handicap spots and firelanes, middle of the road etc
You forgot to add Uber drivers to those who do it "all the time". They park in fire lanes, handicapped spots and stop in the middle of the street for no reason, except maybe to help a lawyer get rich.

They will have to pull over the Uber drivers as well: U-turns without looking, pulling into a lane without signalling or looking, blowing lights, ignoring signs, yup the Uber drivers are doing it all........add to that hugging that GPS, with the result that they are paying no attention and run over more pedestrians in crosswalks (with pedestrian signals in their favour) than do the METRObus drivers.
Earlier in the thread it was postulated that taxi drivers do all those bad things. If now Uber drivers and bus drivers are also guilty of the same things, then there are almost no good drivers left in DC !! Since when you go on a night like tonight to downtown DC every vehicle out there is either a taxi, an Uber car or a bus.......;)

You forgot to add Uber drivers to those who do it "all the time". They park in fire lanes, handicapped spots and stop in the middle of the street for no reason, except maybe to help a lawyer get rich.
Yes, they do now. I agree. They used to be constantly moving though. Most of the Uber drivers in Chicago now are former cab drivers. Or the newbie females they're recruiting left/right.

I don't see it nearly as much as cabbies. And it's always uber drivers getting pulled over and crap for it, meanwhile that cabs can do whatever they want and get away with it

I don't see it nearly as much as cabbies. And it's always uber drivers getting pulled over and crap for it, meanwhile that cabs can do whatever they want and get away with it
Cabbies pay "da man" (in Chicago anyway). Uber doesn't......yet. The cab industry is still run by The Mob which is something Travis and his era will never grasp.

Yes we can. You should try it sometime.

Reactions: YouWishYouKnewMe
It does not happen that way, here. I see more cabs pulled over than I do Uber drivers. I see plenty of Uber drivers pulling dumb stunts. What makes an UberX driver a fool for driving like that is this: the odds are good that he does not have proper insurance, especially if his vehicle bears D.C. licence plates. In the case of D.C., you can not even buy the proper insurance for rideshare. In the case of Maryland and Virginia, more than a few drivers fail to purchase the rideshare endorsement that is available in those states from certain companies. If the UberX driver does get into a collision, odds are that his insurance company will learn of it and drop him, even if it does not have to pay out in the particular collision.

Cabbies pay "da man" (in Chicago anyway).

Uber doesn't......yet. The cab industry is still run by The Mob which is something Travis and his era will never grasp.
Some TNCs are bit slow when it come to Chicago, -eh? ...........or does "Da' Man" in Chicago want more than what some people are willing to pay? Another poster on another topic has confirmed that some TNC principals pay off and have been paying for some time.

If bus drivers are also guilty of the same things, then

there are almost no good drivers left in DC !!
METRObus drivers have been guilty of the "same things" since it was D.C. Transit. Recall that a little while back, METRObus drivers were runningn over pedestrians in crosswalks, with a WALK signal in their favour at the rate of two per week. They killed and maimed a few bicyclists in the process. What METRO's "Drive Arrogant" training fails to take into account is the arrogant jaywalkers and bicyclists in the D.C. Area. They will keep going and dare you to hit them. Every once in a while, someone takes the dare. As METRObus drivers are trained to drive arrogantly, you have the rock and hard place of legend. Sadly for the arrogant jaywalker and bicyclist, they do not prove to be as "hard" as they had thought that they were. METRO teaches its drivers to drive arrogantly. It tells them that the bus is bigger/more massive than most things, therefore, everyone will get out of the bus' way. Yes, smart people will get out of the way of the METRObus, but "arrogant" precludes "smart". The only thing about which a METRObus driver need worry is a garbage truck. Both vehicles have approximately the same mass, but the garbage truck has the advantage of smelling bad.

"Good drivers" LEFT in D.C.? There were few enough from the beginnning? In the D.C. Area, you have three kinds of drivers: bad, VERY bad, and INCREDIBLY bad.....WAIT--I forgot a fourth category: Diplomats--worse than all of the others combined

Remind your son to leave a 2-second gap ("one thousand one, one thousand two" not said/thought fast) between the car he is driving and the car in front of him. I.know other drivers will fill in the gap. Keeping that 2-second gap, even starting up at a red light, will give him room to stop.

There are some drivers who will brake hard if they believe the driver behind them is following too closely.

I have been through rear end accidents with four now adult.children. <sigh>

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.