• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Bad Uber Driver

Bill Larsen

There was an Uber driver in from of my son at a red light. When the light turned green the driver started to go and then abruptly slammed on the brakes and my son hit him. Didn't damage the Uber car but lots of damage to my son's car. The Uber passenger said at the scene she had no idea why he suddenly hit the brakes. I think the Uber driver is at fault because hitting the brakes for no reason is erratic driving. No police involvement, but they exchanged information. Opinions?

Bill Larsen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Without more details, dash cams, etc. there's not enough to go off of. Did the driver see something your son missed(cR approaching the red to fast), was your son driving like a dick and got "brake checked", person in the crosswalk etc
My son got a statement from his passenger saying she "had no idea" why the guy suddenly hit his brakes, but she thought he was trying to change lanes, which is also illegal in the middle of an intersection.

Mr. T

My son got a statement from his passenger saying she "had no idea" why the guy suddenly hit his brakes, but she thought he was trying to change lanes, which is also illegal in the middle of an intersection.
Most passengers are oblivious to everything that's not on their phone screen. Just because she didn't see what happened, doesn't mean she was paying attention

And better check your laws as well, lane changes are usually not "illegal" in the intersection, just frowned upon

Older Chauffeur

As Mr T suggested, check your vehicle code. I searched online and didn't find any law prohibiting a lane change within an intersection. It is legal in CA (my son is a cop.)
It is pretty hard to beat being blamed for causing a rear end collision, if you are driving the car that strikes the other in the rear end. Mitigating circumstances might come into play if there were no working brake lights on the front car, etc.
But again, hard to prove.

Winkomo

There was an Uber driver in from of my son at a red light. When the light turned green the driver started to go and then abruptly slammed on the brakes and my son hit him. Didn't damage the Uber car but lots of damage to my son's car. The Uber passenger said at the scene she had no idea why he suddenly hit the brakes. I think the Uber driver is at fault because hitting the brakes for no reason is erratic driving. No police involvement, but they exchanged information. Opinions?
Bill,
Are you implying this happened because the driver was an Uber driver? If not, then why are you posting this? If so, the real travesty is that you've passed on your stupid genes to the next generation that now runs around with the same stupid assumptions/prejudices.

turbovator

Nope wrong! %99 of the time if you rear end another car you're are at fault. Ticket is either 1 Following too closely or 2 Failure to maintain proper distance.

Last edited:

zombieguy

If your son hit someone from behind then your son was following too close and didn't have enough space and time to properly stop, its his fault. The only time it wouldn't be his fault is if he was abruptly cut off. Its irrelevant why the guy hit his brakes. There could have been something in the road and lets say there was, how would that change the act of your son hitting someone from behind? It wouldn't. His fault.

Last edited:

TwoFiddyMile

In Massachusetts this is called giving a "brake job".
My "friend" (ok it was me) was driving a cab one night, about 25 years ago in downtown Boston.
BMW next to me dumps a boatload of mcdonalds trash out the window on the street.
I open my window- "hey pig, clean that up'" I yelled.
"I just f*cked your mother" he replied in a fine Arab American accent.
Ok...
Was raining, Huntington ave was slick with rain and oil.
I sped up at the green light and got in front of him in his lane.
Wait for it, it's coming, not yet, almost there...
SLAM!
I lock up the brakes.
BOOM!
His beemer smashes against the back bumper of my 1986 Caprice Classic cab.

Totaled.
The beemer, not the cab.

NO middle eastern new money @@@@@@@ gets away with saying he f*cked my Jewish mother.

Another Uber Driver

^^^^^^Yup, he got it right. This is an old cab driver/limousine driver trick. It is called "making a lawyer rich". The cab/limousine driver thinks that he is going to get some free money. What he fails to understand is that the lawyer gets most, the doctor gets a little, the driver gets next-to-nothing and spends all of the time going from the lawyer's office to the treatment mill to home.

I do not understand how these treatment mills make any money. What happens often in the settlement negotiations is that the lawyer is quite free with the doctor's money. He does not give up much of "his", though.

I see this all the time in Washington. Tesfaye the taxi driver and Abdullah the black car driver can give those brake pedals some majorly serious workouts.

Oh My

This is a major phonemenon in Chicago (I'm not originally from here). The light turns green, nothing in the way, no pedestrians, we all take off but it is GUARANTEED you're going to have to slam on the brakes after departing that green light for whatever reason.

I learned to never put anything on the seat of your car in this city. Groceries, computer bag, take-out food? It's going to go flying at least once on the way home.

Cab drivers here also and obviously drive like my grandmother who was born in 1899......they brake with their left foot. It's very common to see their brake lights while they're accelerating.

Another Uber Driver

The light turns green, nothing in the way, no pedestrians, we all take off but it is GUARANTEED you're going to have to slam on the brakes after departing that green light for whatever reason.

(To the tune of My Favourite Things...................)

Brake lights at Green Lights and Two Miles an Hour;
Shithooks in Volvos who have no brain power;
A four-wheel-drive whackoff who plays with his dick.......
These are just some things that will make me sick!

Oh My

(To the tune of My Favourite Things...................)

Brake lights at Green Lights and Two Miles an Hour;
Shithooks in Volvos who have no brain power;
A four-wheel-drive whackoff who plays with his dick.......
These are just some things that will make me sick!
Cute. But I'd replace Volvo with Subaru Outback. Even a pax commented about the Subaru Outback dilemma here (that particular one was trying to do a 32 point u-turn on a residential street with cars parked all along both sides).

And yeah, that's one of my biggest gripes in Chicago. The speed limit IS 30 mph on these surface streets (Ashland, Western, etc) but you'd be lucky to ever hit 19mph even in moderate traffic.