• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Bad news. Old people are starting to use Uber

UberFocus

In the last week I've picked up three older people (older than 50). All were terrible.

The cool thing about Uber passengers is most of them are young. They're in their 20's or 30's and generally know how the game is played. And compared to most other service jobs (retail, serving) tend to be nicer customers in general.

But all three old people I picked up this week treated me like I was just a cabbie. They all criticized me for using Waze and insisted that they knew how to get to their destination better (they didn't). Two of the ladies were literally pointing in front of my face telling me to go this way or that way at the last second.

One elderly guy, (seriously he was like 85) argued with me insisting he never selected uber pool. Then he looked upset that I didn't open the door for him. Seriously how entitled are you, I'm not your chaffeur.

Putting the cabs out of business might be good for ride totals. But now we have to deal with their shitty customers.

UberFrolic

I got an old guy once, easily could've been 80.

He was slightly cynical and he wanted to pay the absolute cheapest price. He was a cheap bastard that's for sure. He had sarcastic humor which I enjoyed cause I'm like that too lol

UberDude2

I picked up an older couple and dropped them off at a medical center. Before the pick up i received a text telling me the name of the guy i would be picking up. I thought maybe it was a child or grandchild of the older couple. When i dropped them off they assumed i would be waiting for them but i told them they would have to order another ride. They had no clue what i was talking about. Turns out the medical group they belonged to ordered the ride for them to be dropped off at the clinic for an appointment. I told them to just call the contact person when they were done.

Scenicruiser

I picked up an older couple and dropped them off at a medical center. Before the pick up i received a text telling me the name of the guy i would be picking up. I thought maybe it was a child or grandchild of the older couple. When i dropped them off they assumed i would be waiting for them but i told them they would have to order another ride. They had no clue what i was talking about. Turns out the medical group they belonged to ordered the ride for them to be dropped off at the clinic for an appointment. I told them to just call the contact person when they were done.
this happens often at the various hoag medical centers all day long. Always great pax.

Tx rides

In the last week I've picked up three older people (older than 50). All were terrible.

The cool thing about Uber passengers is most of them are young. They're in their 20's or 30's and generally know how the game is played. And compared to most other service jobs (retail, serving) tend to be nicer customers in general.

But all three old people I picked up this week treated me like I was just a cabbie. They all criticized me for using Waze and insisted that they knew how to get to their destination better (they didn't). Two of the ladies were literally pointing in front of my face telling me to go this way or that way at the last second.

One elderly guy, (seriously he was like 85) argued with me insisting he never selected uber pool. Then he looked upset that I didn't open the door for him. Seriously how entitled are you, I'm not your chaffeur.

Putting the cabs out of business might be good for ride totals. But now we have to deal with their shitty customers.
Wow. Where to start. First of all, you might want to look at demographics, the majority of "disposable wealth " is not held by your "cool crowd". During all my years of restaurant and bar service, I always made way more money off people over 30. It is possible that your attitude shines through, or the drivers who think like you have already poisoned the pool, so you don't get passengers who are like our livery service clients. Our Car service average clientele age is mid 50s, but our most "cost is no object "passengers are over 70. They are also the lowest maintenance. They tend to be very punctual, and don't stay out until two in the morning drinking! If you drove for me, I would sit down with you and counsel you, and try to help you open your mind, change your body language, and hopefully help you see a difference. I am assuming you are fairly young, since you consider 50 "old ", so I am guessing you are still impressionable. So there is hope :-)

Godric

I like the older folks...But I'm closer to their age then the hip-hop blasting crowd.

They put in their correct pickup and destination addresses. They are always ready and waiting when I arrive. They get in and don't require anything special. Never had to tell them no booze in the car. They don't ask you to do illegal driving stunts.Usually engage in a pleasant conversation. Some do like to navigate. It's fine with me if they want to go the way they have for the last 100 years. Most of them seem to tip...even if it's a $1

20yearsdriving

this happens often at the various hoag medical centers all day long. Always great pax.
********Carefull with the real elder ( border line disabled)*******
I have gotten clinic request for a third party
They are tring to pass liability to you

One of the few times. I refuse transportation was for this reason
Some older customers need specialized transportation ( walker - weel chair etc.)

If they fall and are injured" boy you in big trouble "
Lawsuits usually come from their 70 year old children
They see $$$$$

Clinic bills their insurance for transportation @120.00 hr
They pay you 5 bucks

CaLa2486

Super good tip about the liability 20years... I will definitely take that into consideration. No fare is worth that risk if they need specialized transport, I will cancel if it ever happens.