Bad experiences show why to avoid Uberpool

Agent99

Originally posted by IsleDrive, post: 1218531, member: 60777

I did a total of 2 pools. Will never do it again. Sharing my story to warn others and also hold myself accountable should I ever think about accepting another POOL request again.
Pool#1 - Pick up PAX from her job. She begs to stop at a CVS along the way explaining how she will literally die without her medication. I explain nicely that I don't get paid to wait, we should end the ride at CVS and she can request another, etc. She begs and whines. I give in thinking it will count as another good deed for the day. PAX goes in and out of CVS twice, gets back in, this time with an attitude, complains that other drivers have waited in the past, schools me in leaving a woman stranded (which I did not and I pray for this torture to end). She slams the door at her drop off and I remind her politely to please take one of her bags she left in my car. She also left an orange cheetos stain on the back seat for good measure which I didn't notice until I pick up the next PAX. Gave me a bad rating.

Pool#2 - Pick up PAX from her job late at night. As she gets in and the light comes on, sees the cheetos stain left by her fellow pool-rider and complains that it might be something else. I apologize profusely and offer for her to sit on the other side, reassuring her it is only a cheetos stain from the prior rider and nothing that requires hazmat. She rolls her eyes, while taking in my otherwise clean car.
We're on our way and she proudly proclaims she uses POOL exclusively, knowing there's a slim chance I'll get another rider and if I do she's on her way home anyway so she has all the time in the world. PAX smells like sweat and something that would require hazmat, says in a rude tone she knows the "tip" is included so she saves all the way, "like couponing with uber" she says with a snicker. I get her to her house safely and this is when I know POOL is not for me. I have refused it ever since. My acceptance rate is in the toilet but thankfully my overall rating is not! Lesson: STOP DOING POOL!

Last edited:

uberist

I did a total of 2 pools. Will never do it again. Sharing my story to warn others and also hold myself accountable should I ever think about accepting another POOL request again.
Pool#1 - Pick up PAX from her job. She begs to stop at a CVS along the way explaining how she will literally die without her medication. I explain nicely that I don't get paid to wait, we should end the ride at CVS and she can request another, etc. She begs and whines. I give in thinking it will count as another good deed for the day. PAX goes in and out of CVS twice, gets back in, this time with an attitude, complains that other drivers have waited in the past, schools me in leaving a woman stranded (which I did not and I pray for this torture to end). She slams the door at her drop off and I remind her politely to please take one of her bags she left in my car. She also left an orange cheetos stain on the back seat for good measure which I didn't notice until I pick up the next PAX. Gave me a bad rating.

Pool#2 - Pick up PAX from her job late at night. As she gets in and the light comes on, sees the cheetos stain left by her fellow pool-rider and complains that it might be something else. I apologize profusely and offer for her to sit on the other side, reassuring her it is only a cheetos stain from the prior rider and nothing that requires hazmat. She rolls her eyes, while taking in my otherwise clean car.
We're on our way and she proudly proclaims she uses POOL exclusively, knowing there's a slim chance I'll get another rider and if I do she's on her way home anyway so she has all the time in the world. PAX smells like sweat and something that would require hazmat, says in a rude tone she knows the "tip" is included so she saves all the way, "like couponing with uber" she says with a snicker. I get her to her house safely and this is when I know POOL is not for me. I have refused it ever since. My acceptance rate is in the toilet but thankfully my overall rating is not! Lesson: STOP DOING POOL!

uberist

Accept and cancel once in a while, I've read here that its better to do that then to just ignore all the time.

The promo tend to support that sence it is usually a 80% acceptance and only 25% completion to qualify.

UberIsAllFubared

Accept and cancel once in a while, I've read here that its better to do that then to just ignore all the time.

The promo tend to support that sence it is usually a 80% acceptance and only 25% completion to qualify.
actually they can't do anything to you for a low acceptance rate, unless they tie an incentive to an acceptance rate to on, BUT they can deactivate you for cancellations.

UberIsAllFubared

I don't really understand how those were really "pool" experiences. You never had more than one passenger in the car at a time. I think the first one could easily have been uberx too...

And I knew right away, as soon as you tell her you don't get paid to wait, she was gonna rate you low. Happened to me when I wouldn't go to the In and Out drive through and just dropped them off at In n Out.

Another Uber Driver

Pool#1 -She whines. attitude, complains

Pool#2 -complains

Lesson: STOP DOING POOL!

I will assume, of course, that you did one star both passengers.

The only reason that I will accept U-Pool is to jack up my trip count to reach a quota for a bonus or incentive. Other than that, if they want to pay bus rates, they can ride the bus. That is why they have the bus. When the government starts subsidising me, as it does the bus, I will carry people for bus rates.

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Uber is wise to ACRO; has been for some time. Let the ping expire if you do not want it.
actually they can't do anything to you for a low acceptance rate, unless they tie an incentive to an acceptance rate to on, BUT they can deactivate you for cancellations.

I don't really understand how those were really "pool" experiences. You never had more than one passenger in the car at a time. I think the first one could easily have been uberx too...
I suspect that the poster received these passengers on unmatched U-Pool rides and is complaining more about the cheapskate U-Pool users with their concomitant garbage attitude. It was bad enough when UberX users expected limousine service for a little more than bus rates. It is even worse when U-Pool users expect limousine service for actual bus rates.

Argantes

I always thought that "letting the ping expire" is basically the same as a cancellation, so I can let the persons ping expire and it won't be counted as a cancellation/toward my acceptance rating?

DudeGuy

I always thought that "letting the ping expire" is basically the same as a cancellation, so I can let the persons ping expire and it won't be counted as a cancellation/toward my acceptance rating?
Didn't count against cancelation but def towards your acceptance rating.

sporadic

If UberPoo pax is underaged teen, would having a middle aged uptight business stranger in the car legally qualify them to use Uber? They're technically not unaccompanied minors at this point.
My favorite pool rides are the middle aged uptight business people who get matched with a teenager who reeks of pot.

Another Uber Driver

How do you avoid Uberpool?
When the ping comes in, it will read "POOL" at the top of the page. Do not acknowledge it; let it expire. Understand that if you let three pings in a row expire or do a combination of any declined ping or driver cancellation that adds up to three in an hour, Uber may put you on a time out.

Uber does not use a low acceptance rate as a reason to de-activate you, any more.

Uber does, however, still use a high cancellation rate as an excuse to de-activate you. Even legitimate cancellations, such as "rider no show" or "rider not at address" count against you. Thus, you want to cancel sparingly. If you can get the user to cancel, do so. If you must, lie and tell the user that the application will not let you cancel; he must do it.

UberReallySucks

She slams the door at her drop off and I remind her politely to please take one of her bags she left in my car. She also left an orange cheetos stain on the back seat for good measure which I didn't notice until I pick up the next PAX. Gave me a bad rating.
She rolls her eyes, while taking in my otherwise clean car.
says in a rude tone she knows the "tip" is included so she saves all the way

Welcome Seattle to the world of UberStool!

And the real problem is you're not gonna be able to just get away with not taking pool.

Uber has mastered a variety of mischievous techniques to force drivers to take the Poo trips.

# 1 you will be kicked out of the App for ignoring POO initially for 4 min
# 2 Your 4 min time out will extend to up to 30 min
# 3 You will start getting all the SSRs - Shitty Short Rides out of all your peers
# 4 You will think you're online when in fact you're not. Only way to find out is by checking Pax's App.

And that is the worst one... # 4 can ruin your day ... whether sitting or driving around wondering why is is that you're not getting any pings in a busy area?

Agent99

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can take just one ride request out of three and still avoid getting a time out. That's an acceptance rate of 33%. Most (not all) drivers have no problem staying above that.

Fuzzyelvis

If UberPoo pax is underaged teen, would having a middle aged uptight business stranger in the car legally qualify them to use Uber? They're technically not unaccompanied minors at this point.
The RIDER TOS states the app holder ordering the ride must be 18 and has to accompany any minor riding on his account. Some random rider on another account does not qualify.

It says NOTHING about underage riders in the DRIVER TOS.

sporadic

I was being tongue in cheek there. I'd still refuse rides to unaccompanied underaged teens. Last thing I'd want to do is to be accused of being a paedophile.
The RIDER TOS states the app holder ordering the ride must be 18 and has to accompany any minor riding on his account. Some random rider on another account does not qualify.

It says NOTHING about underage riders in the DRIVER TOS.

rman954

People constantly trying to abuse it. (Cancelled on someone last night who kept trying to play dumb with me, seriously the price difference was $4 you cheap prick!)
People complaining about getting other pax. (I can't fit in the car with other people in there)
People not wanting to sit next to strangers. (he kept getting closer to me!)
I got a complaint for a cigarette odor most likely because out of the four in the vehicle on the pool ride, one was a smoker and flicked her cigarette just before getting in.

WestSubDriver

The primary reason that drivers should avoid Pool is the economics.

There are bad passengers who use X and there are good passengers who use Pool. In most markets the base rates are already pushed so low that it doesn't make sense to even drive unless you're on a promotion or drive during surge periods. To add further insult, Pool is Uber's great profit enhancer and they are bending the drivers over. Try a little experiment: on a Pool ride if polite conversation ensues and you get the opportunity, ask your 2nd or 3rd incremental passenger what they were quoted and expect to pay and then check your history to see what "fare" Uber shows you for that rider. They are not the same and Uber is taking the bulk of the true fare charged that incremental rider.