Back Seat Driver

Kearson

Hi all,

I have been on and off the Uber platform for X/XL for 7 months. Over this time, I have had many close call instances where the pax in the back seat gives me a direction to turn/switch lanes/can't make up their mind last minute, putting myself and the pax in a very dangerous position.

There is also another issue of the pax being in a rush or they want to save a few cent/dollars. I don't think it is my problem if you're in a rush, but I will try to get you to your destination as soon as possible, but also more importantly, as safe as possible. There was this one time when the pax just opened the door, and got off on vehicle into oncoming traffic. They didn't even let me know they were going to get off, putting my door, and more importantly, the pax's life endanger for no apparent reason.

Whenever I don't follow the pax's direction to the T, they give me a poor rating, and report me for things that are untrue (dangerous driving, unclean vehicle, hygiene??). Uber Support has been useless in helping me deal with these issues, so I want to see how you guys would go about these.

also yay First Thread :biggrin:

babaganoosh

I usually don't even ask them for a preferred route. Less than 5 % have ever told me to go a different way. I just start the navigation app and if they start giving different directions i mute the app turn by turn audio but leave it running visually. If they bark out directions too late i just revert to the gps app. No sudden movements for pax that don't know how to navigate you properly.

Slavic Riga

Depending on the driving hours. If it is during the morning hours I politely mention that there are some roads that are not accessible to cars but only to TTC & other Transit companies. If it is during late night, pax is polite & after evaluating the route with main intersection, I adhere. If rude, obnoxious or challenging the GPS assisted directions, after they themselves don't know the route, I tell them to GTFO of my car & end the trip.

These type of passengers have already rated you Mentally & nothing will change their mindset. So, no taking chances. Yes, Uber does ask for explanation & I forward my standard cut & paste reply.

uberpoolfool

I just told an obnoxius a$$hole to get the *uck out of my car when he started telling me turn here right, oh no turn left instead of right. He walked home and not a single *uck was given bout a rating. Did not cancel the trip, I just closed the app and went home. When I got home i turned on the app the the *ucking a$$hole had cancelled the trip and I collected a $5.75 cancellation fee.

Richi

I love it when you arrive at the destination and you are still waiting for the pax...when they do arrive usually minutes later they say their in a rush. It is like they have to be there yesterday....I usually tell them that they are not because it is were so then you would have been waiting for me and not the other way around.

Kearson

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I usually don't even ask them for a preferred route. Less than 5 % have ever told me to go a different way. I just start the navigation app and if they start giving different directions i mute the app turn by turn audio but leave it running visually. If they bark out directions too late i just revert to the gps app. No sudden movements for pax that don't know how to navigate you properly.

Thanks babaganoosh for your opinion. I'll take note and maybe use it the next time I am on the road.

Kearson

Depending on the driving hours. If it is during the morning hours I politely mention that there are some roads that are not accessible to cars but only to TTC & other Transit companies. If it is during late night, pax is polite & after evaluating the route with main intersection, I adhere. If rude, obnoxious or challenging the GPS assisted directions, after they themselves don't know the route, I tell them to GTFO of my car & end the trip.

These type of passengers have already rated you Mentally & nothing will change their mindset. So, no taking chances. Yes, Uber does ask for explanation & I forward my standard cut & paste reply.
Slavic Riga: I agree, only if the road conditions are safe and I am given advance notice to take turns, I would take the pax's route. I feel the rating system gives these types of pax the power to screw partners who haven't done anything wrong. When I asked Uber for proof of i.e. dangerous driving, they say they can't for privacy reasons. That's bs, bs, and more bs. I keep a detailed log of each trip, so I already know in my mind who it is. I also have an interior camera (advice from other partners on this forum) and I have shared the video with Uber, but they still won't budge that their pax are in the wrong.

tohunt4me

Hi all,

I have been on and off the Uber platform for X/XL for 7 months. Over this time, I have had many close call instances where the pax in the back seat gives me a direction to turn/switch lanes/can't make up their mind last minute, putting myself and the pax in a very dangerous position.

There is also another issue of the pax being in a rush or they want to save a few cent/dollars. I don't think it is my problem if you're in a rush, but I will try to get you to your destination as soon as possible, but also more importantly, as safe as possible. There was this one time when the pax just opened the door, and got off on vehicle into oncoming traffic. They didn't even let me know they were going to get off, putting my door, and more importantly, the pax's life endanger for no apparent reason.

Whenever I don't follow the pax's direction to the T, they give me a poor rating, and report me for things that are untrue (dangerous driving, unclean vehicle, hygiene??). Uber Support has been useless in helping me deal with these issues, so I want to see how you guys would go about these.

also yay First Thread :biggrin:
My greatest Uber Fear is of Pax Splat.

I always warn them and have eye in rear view when they exit.
Emergency flashers on.
I try to find safest drop location.
( I have been known to pull up on sidewalks)

My greatest fear.

Pax Splat.

Kearson

I just told an obnoxius a$$hole to get the *uck out of my car when he started telling me turn here right, oh no turn left instead of right. He walked home and not a single *uck was given bout a rating. Did not cancel the trip, I just closed the app and went home. When I got home i turned on the app the the *ucking a$$hole had cancelled the trip and I collected a $5.75 cancellation fee.
uberpoolfool: Although I agree with you about kicking your pax off, I don't think it's a good idea to charge someone for a ride they didn't completely take. Just my opinion.

Kearson

I love it when you arrive at the destination and you are still waiting for the pax...when they do arrive usually minutes later they say their in a rush. It is like they have to be there yesterday....I usually tell them that they are not because it is were so then you would have been waiting for me and not the other way around.
Richi yea pax should be waiting for me at the pickup location if they are really in a rush.

Kearson

To whoever watches this forum for Uber and would-be Uber passengers - it's only a matter of time until an accident happens if you keep doing what you're doing (ordering partners to make last minute turns/lane changes on city streets or more dangerously, on the highway/or can't make up their mind which way to go). If you are really in a rush, wait for us at your pickup location and be ready to go; good for you since you're in a rush and good for me so I don't have to waste 5+ mins waiting for you to slowly make your way to the pickup. You could also become dead meat if I make a mistake because of your stupid/unclear/last minute directions. For those of us that drive on part-time basis, don't expect us partners to know every single crevice of the city. Use the GPS/Maps app. We aren't professional drivers. If you want professional service, I highly recommend and suggest you order a chartered vehicle/limo service. The attitude you show us is like getting the best service for nothing.

Slavic Riga

Slavic Riga: I agree, only if the road conditions are safe and I am given advance notice to take turns, I would take the pax's route. I feel the rating system gives these types of pax the power to screw partners who haven't done anything wrong. When I asked Uber for proof of i.e. dangerous driving, they say they can't for privacy reasons. That's bs, bs, and more bs. I keep a detailed log of each trip, so I already know in my mind who it is. I also have an interior camera (advice from other partners on this forum) and I have shared the video with Uber, but they still won't budge that their pax are in the wrong.
Make a copy & give it to the City & city council addressed to Tracey Cook. Let them review the harassment by Uber.

Harassment in work place is a big NO NO these days.

Hannibalb

Always default to navigation if pax directions are unsafe or blatantly incorrect. Treat directions given as a suggestion, use your judgement. The rest is pax management. Some pax are unreasonable, learn how to best handle them, Uber will do nothing to help you unless rider's behaviour is completely outrageous.

tohunt4me

Just be thankfull these people aren't driving.

Imagine the hazard that they would pose to others.

Imagine if they were wielding a car instead of ratings.

They can not even handle ratings safely in their emotionally unstable state.

Slavic Riga

You have quoted the right pointers & one of the reasons these self entitled leeches are not permitted to drive. Lets not forget most of them do not possess driving licenses or their licenses have been confiscated or suspended. Most millennials including Travis K have moving violations on their file & record.

Kearson

Always default to navigation if pax directions are unsafe or blatantly incorrect. Treat directions given as a suggestion, use your judgement. The rest is pax management. Some pax are unreasonable, learn how to best handle them, Uber will do nothing to help you unless rider's behaviour is completely outrageous.
Hannibalb When they get on, the GPS was already on and I started the trip and used GPS directions. Midway or shortly after the trip started, the pax started interrupting and giving me directions. Thanks again for your input, I'll try to use what you say.

Kearson

tohunt4me Yeah these people would be a danger to everyone on the road.