1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Back Lit Signs

Discussion in 'Tips' started by steveK2016, Nov 19, 2016.

1. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    [​IMG]

I saw someone post a photo of their tipping sign that was back lit.

I can't find that thread, but does anyone know or remember that thread and/or user?

Or does anyone know anything about custom back lighting printouts like that? I found a perfect spot to put a tipping sign that's very low profile but visible... however, it's hard to read at night. Wanted to find a way to have it back lit but can't find any ways of doing that from Google.

The sign worked amazing during the day, first 3 pax tipped back to back... then it got dark and I don't think anyone really noticed it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  2. WeKeepItRollin

WeKeepItRollin Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I just ordered an led phone charging cable, when it gets here I will be using that to light up my sign.

3. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Please let me know when it arrived, how you implement it and whether it worked the way you envisioned it.

I'm wondering if it's be practical to use like an USB LED strip that's trimmable, then take my print out, the LED, heavy stock backing... then laminate that together to create the backlight affect. I'd get a USB battery pack and mount it behind the sign to power it. Should last long enough to keep it lit for the night on one charge. That way I dont have to run wires.

[​IMG]

The tipping sign on the cross bar of the moon roof is what I want to backlight.

4. MikesUber

MikesUber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Maybe you could MacGyver something with this? Would use some Gorilla mounting tape/Velco dots to put it up there and some kind of mini clamp to keep the light on.

http://amzn.to/2iB33wt - Solar Mini Flashlight
    http://amzn.to/2i46vCL - Gorilla Mounting Tape
    http://amzn.to/2hl0bmo - Velcro dots

I feel like you're like me though and want everything looking professional/smooth setup-wise. So perhaps reach out to the Etsy community and someone can make you an actual backlit led panel sign?

5. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I actually MacGyvered something already using a White USB LED strip, some clear acrylic and Electrical Tape. I bought a 12000mah backup battery that's the size of a cell phone, got it for a steal for $8 and it serves a dual purpose for me. I needed it for my various devices anyways, and I put a metal plate on it so it can stick to the moonroof bar magnetically like my other devices. 12000 mah is more than enough to keep the LED lit all night, probably all month if I didn't want to have to charge it often.

I'll post photos when I have everything secure.

UberwithDan likes this.

6. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    [​IMG]

Not perfect but ive seen a substancial increase in tips today (first day in use) maybe its a coincidence and people are just tipping more today but totally worth it.

IRose likes this.
  7. acanas

acanas Member

OMFG, I NEED that! I don't have the skills to make it myself. Anyone making them for sale? *spam link removed* ?

8. acanas

acanas Member

I would happily pay maybe $30 if it was easy to install and could be plugged to USB.

9. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I'm creating a Mark 3 version of the sign, trying to perfect it so it looks less McGyvered. I'll let you know how that prototype goes and I think I've sourced the materials out enough that I could sell it for $30. It'll be still USB powered.

Stay tuned, send me a PM

bad089 and acanas like this.
  10. acanas

acanas Member

McGyvered is perfectly acceptable!

11. AVLien

AVLien Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Are you using regular LEDs to backlight the sign? If so, you may want to look into electroluminescent panels. They will give you more even backlighting. Maybe even cheaper than LEDs too. Check it out:
    [sorry, still cannot post links for some reason, even though I have met the criteria]

Look this up on Amazon: A6 electroluminescent panel EL back light sheet - glowhut[DOT]com

12. Driving and Driven

Driving and Driven Well-Known Member

So, a 1.25" x 12" luminescent panel, a small inverter, some wire, and some adhesive lettering from Home Depot.

Right around $50 or so.

Not bad.

13. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yes I was using LED strips, but that product is exactly what I was looking for!

My only issue is how to make those work with a USB, I'm not an electrical engineer type so wouldn't know how to do power inverters or whatnot.

I had found another product that is super cheap that comes with a 2 pin connector that converts it to USB, I'm not sure if that would work with these 2 pin lights. I've since removed this sign since I discovered how to make the background slideshow on my tablet, felt like having both was too much.

Martok likes this.