• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Back in the saddle again

Uber Crack

Author
Last night I went back to Uber driving after about 6 weeks off. :smiles: The first ride was a middle aged woman going home from cards night in a quiet residential neighborhood. Very pleasant woman, and thank goodness for that, because I have a new phone and I'd just installed the driver app without paying attention to settings. The default settings Uber starts you off with :rolleyes: are enough to send a noob straight back home never to drive again. Which is alright by me :biggrin: *sinister laugh* Firstly, the ping was deafening! I almost went into a pole I got such a fright. After accepting it I immediately touched "stop new rides" because I knew I'd have to sort the settings out. The navigation, which is uber navigation by default, starts out with loud turn by turn directions that you just cannot mute. :eek: I had my Pandora on softly but there was a constant loud drone telling me where to go. The woman was going a short distance and I apologised profusely for the racket and she was very nice about it. After I dropped her, I collected my awesome $2.54 and I pulled over to fix the settings. Re-set volume and navigation to Google maps. I also went to phone settings and put Uber to override other apps, phew :rolleyes: because you know, sometimes I multi task.

Then I thought, there's no way I'm staying in the suburbs and taking middle aged people home from cards etc. I came out at 11 pm on a Friday night for some more action than that. So I jumped onto the freeway to deadmile into the city. After all I'd just earned almost a gallon of gas from trip one :smiles:

On the way into town I sometimes turn the app off so that I don't keep getting pulled back into my neighborhood but I was rusty and forgot. My next ping was just off Martin Luther King Jnr Blvd in a not great area. I decided to take it anyway. One, I was fresh and had my wits about me and two, it was just two minutes away.

(As I type this I get a notification of a tip in the app. I love when I get money while I lay in bed ~ wait that doesn't sound right... haha :roflmao: Card lady $1 ~ she forgave me for the uber nav shouting at us!)

I don't really mind this neighborhood. I've never had any problems before. It's just a bit scary because the roads are narrower, and cars blocking, sometimes loiterers or homeless people, sometimes debris in the road, or not well lit streets. My safety is paramount. The guy who I picked up was the best tipper of my night AND he was very interesting, telling me about his trip to Brazil and how amazing it was. And he was going into town so yay, now I was down there. And had another $11... $6 from the ride plus a $5 tip. :smiles: Balling!

Finally some down town action. The first guy, a very funny very young drunk male from a club.
"Man I struck out tonight," he said.
"I just couldn't pull anything. The fish were not biting off this rod." :laugh:

"Really? Why weren't they?"

"I don't effin know man! I mean I'm a decent guy, you know, I'm hot and stuff. There was a lot of booty in there, I mean a lot of fine booty but, I dunno, there's obviously none in this uber tonight."

(I knew what he meant so I didn't take offense that he wasn't including my booty in the uber.)

"My weekend is ruined now. I never pull on a Saturday night. Only Friday. I cleaned my place and everything. Saturday I can't pull. I don't want them around on a Sunday not going home. Plus it's not in my budget to go out two nights. My liver and my finances. I have to wait til next Friday now. Wait, how old are you?"

Hahaha :roflmao: "OLD!"

I headed back into the city after making $6 for that amusement. The next ping was a really high functioning decent drunk male, picked up from a pizza place.
"Lauren you are my saviour and woman knight in a shiny white Prius, get me to my bed with fewest detours possible."

"Oh my God you have an accent, are you from Switzerland?"

Why do people guess the most random places? I don't know.

"No I'm from South Africa, it was a British colony..."

"Get the actual @@@@ out of here and stop kidding me right now! You don't even look African. Why would you uber on vacation? Wait, you live here now? Yes, you do."
"Oh I get it! Once you hung out with the Michael Jordan types in America you couldn't go back to the hottentots." :roflmao:

Next ping I almost didn't take because 50% of my pukers have come from this exact spot. :o-o: The well drinks must be low end, but I thought I'd give it ONE MORE CHANCE. I was in a good flow. Sometimes you have to keep going along the path that's set out for you. Actually I was hoping for a no-show $3.75 because the road is closed there on Friday nights so pax have to walk a whole block and a half. Blow me down if they weren't waiting and knew the buzz.:smiles: 3 lovely college women and they'd "pulled" a guy. This was a very funny ride because this guy knew he was about to get lucky. He was like a kid at Christmas with a new bike. The chicks were the usual chatter boxes, not too loud. Nice kids really, best behaviour for being that drunk. Very amusing to witness one dude 3 women all over him. I wondered how that was going to go down. :biggrin:

Next it's surging so I head back to town and by the time I get there I have a guaranteed next trip +$4.25 even though the surge was +$8 at first. This is where I was wishing for a short trip. No loud shrieky women going 30 mins into the burbs begging for a drive through! Or crying women or vomiting women. 1:55 a.m. This is the scariest ride of the night coming up.

It's yet another a single male from a high end club.
Lauren, I really must eat something but I don't know what. Now if I had a woman at home, there'd be food in my fridge. Even if she didn't buy it, I'd be showing off and would have bought it.
That is why men need women. You girls make us into a better version of ourselves. Have a woman around and I'm cleaning up, eating healthy, calling my mom even ~ all so the woman thinks that I'm a quality individual. Women just make us better, know what I'm saying?''

''I do know. And why don't you guys tell us that more often?''

"Beecause then we'd be giving up all the power. The woman can't know, or she starts spending too much of our money hahaha :roflmao: asking to use the BMW, feeling like she deserves this and that."

"If I had a woman there would be food in my fridge right now is all I'm saying."

What a funny and real guy. After that I decided to go home, with my sanity in tact. What a fun first night back. :smiles:

25rides7daysaweek

Last night I went back to Uber driving after about 6 weeks off. :smiles: The first ride was a middle aged woman going home from cards night in a quiet residential neighborhood. Very pleasant woman, and thank goodness for that, because I have a new phone and I'd just installed the driver app without paying attention to settings. The default settings Uber starts you off with :rolleyes: are enough to send a noob straight back home never to drive again. Which is alright by me :biggrin: *sinister laugh* Firstly, the ping was deafening! I almost went into a pole I got such a fright. After accepting it I immediately touched "stop new rides" because I knew I'd have to sort the settings out. The navigation, which is uber navigation by default, starts out with loud turn by turn directions that you just cannot mute. :eek: I had my Pandora on softly but there was a constant loud drone telling me where to go. The woman was going a short distance and I apologised profusely for the racket and she was very nice about it. After I dropped her, I collected my awesome $2.54 and I pulled over to fix the settings. Re-set volume and navigation to Google maps. I also went to phone settings and put Uber to override other apps, phew :rolleyes: because you know, sometimes I multi task.

Then I thought, there's no way I'm staying in the suburbs and taking middle aged people home from cards etc. I came out at 11 pm on a Friday night for some more action than that. So I jumped onto the freeway to deadmile into the city. After all I'd just earned almost a gallon of gas from trip one :smiles:

On the way into town I sometimes turn the app off so that I don't keep getting pulled back into my neighborhood but I was rusty and forgot. My next ping was just off Martin Luther King Jnr Blvd in a not great area. I decided to take it anyway. One, I was fresh and had my wits about me and two, it was just two minutes away.

(As I type this I get a notification of a tip in the app. I love when I get money while I lay in bed ~ wait that doesn't sound right... haha :roflmao: Card lady $1 ~ she forgave me for the uber nav shouting at us!)

I don't really mind this neighborhood. I've never had any problems before. It's just a bit scary because the roads are narrower, and cars blocking, sometimes loiterers or homeless people, sometimes debris in the road, or not well lit streets. My safety is paramount. The guy who I picked up was the best tipper of my night AND he was very interesting, telling me about his trip to Brazil and how amazing it was. And he was going into town so yay, now I was down there. And had another $11... $6 from the ride plus a $5 tip. :smiles: Balling!

Finally some down town action. The first guy, a very funny very young drunk male from a club.

"I don't effin know man! I mean I'm a decent guy, you know, I'm hot and stuff. There was a lot of booty in there, I mean a lot of fine booty but, I dunno, there's obviously none in this uber tonight."

(I knew what he meant so I didn't take offense that he wasn't including my booty in the uber.)

"My weekend is ruined now. I never pull on a Saturday night. Only Friday. I cleaned my place and everything. Saturday I can't pull. I don't want them around on a Sunday not going home. Plus it's not in my budget to go out two nights. My liver and my finances. I have to wait til next Friday now. Wait, how old are you?"

I headed back into the city after making $6 for that amusement. The next ping was a really high functioning decent drunk male, picked up from a pizza place.
"Lauren you are my saviour and woman knight in a shiny white Prius, get me to my bed with fewest detours possible."

"Get the actual f*ck out of here and stop kidding me right now! You don't even look African. Why would you uber on vacation? Wait, you live here now? Yes, you do."
"Oh I get it! Once you hung out with the Michael Jordan types in America you couldn't go back to the hottentots." :roflmao:

Next ping I almost didn't take because 50% of my pukers have come from this exact spot. :o-o: The well drinks must be low end, but I thought I'd give it ONE MORE CHANCE. I was in a good flow. Sometimes you have to keep going along the path that's set out for you. Actually I was hoping for a no-show $3.75 because the road is closed there on Friday nights so pax have to walk a whole block and a half. Blow me down if they weren't waiting and knew the buzz.:smiles: 3 lovely college women and they'd "pulled" a guy. This was a very funny ride because this guy knew he was about to get lucky. He was like a kid at Christmas with a new bike. The chicks were the usual chatter boxes, not too loud. Nice kids really, best behaviour for being that drunk. Very amusing to witness one dude 3 women all over him. I wondered how that was going to go down. :biggrin:

Next it's surging so I head back to town and by the time I get there I have a guaranteed next trip +$4.25 even though the surge was +$8 at first. This is where I was wishing for a short trip. No loud shrieky women going 30 mins into the burbs begging for a drive through! Or crying women or vomiting women. 1:55 a.m. This is the scariest ride of the night coming up.

Lauren, I really must eat something but I don't know what. Now if I had a woman at home, there'd be food in my fridge. Even if she didn't buy it, I'd be showing off and would have bought it.
That is why men need women. You girls make us into a better version of ourselves. Have a woman around and I'm cleaning up, eating healthy, calling my mom even ~ all so the woman thinks that I'm a quality individual. Women just make us better, know what I'm saying?''

"Beecause then we'd be giving up all the power. The woman can't know, or she starts spending too much of our money hahaha :roflmao: asking to use the BMW, feeling like she deserves this and that."

"If I had a woman there would be food in my fridge right now is all I'm saying."

What a funny and real guy. After that I decided to go home, with my sanity in tact. What a fun first night back. :smiles:
You sound as excited as a noob
Batter up!!!!!

Uber Crack

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I haven't driven since about February. I hope that's what's waiting for me when I come back to it.
I hope so too! It was fun but I didn't get rich. Going out for 2-3 hours is quite different from pulling a 6-8-10 hour shift. That's why I've always maintained that full-timers are made of stronger stuff than myself. :smiles:

25rides7daysaweek

I hope so too! It was fun but I didn't get rich. Going out for 2-3 hours is quite different from pulling a 6-8-10 hour shift. That's why I've always maintained that full-timers are made of stronger stuff than myself. :smiles:
I go out at 5am and come home at 7pm weekdays like 8 am till 6 PM weekends
I been doing it for 2.5 years. I cant sleep anymore than 5 or 6 hours. I'm not getting tired of doing it either. IM ADDICTED....

Uber Crack

Author
I been doing it for 2.5 years. I cant sleep anymore than 5 or 6 hours. I'm not getting tired of doing it either. IM ADDICTED....
I am also addicted. If I didn't have other stuff going on I'd be Ubering a lot more.
Post automatically merged:

Ain’t got time to read all that. Got cliff notes...? :biggrin:
Uhh... I hadn't ubered for a while, then I did. The end. There will be a one question quiz on Friday to see if you retained that. :smiles:

Don’t hold back. Give us the details.
I actually did hold back a little. Lol :smiles:

Zaarc

Wow...your handle isn't a joke. You are hardcore. You must be making some bank...AND having no time to spend it. Your future looks secure!

"Get the actual @@@@ out of here and stop kidding me right now! You don't even look African. Why would you uber on vacation? Wait, you live here now? Yes, you do."

I love how you are so chill, and embrace the bright side of life 😊😎

OldBay

While women may have more safety concerns, its pretty clear from this post they are also treated nicer by the majority of pax.

Uber Crack

Author
Yeah, but if you were a guy and they felt "threatened", that playful banter would manifest as a different kind of chatty.
Yes I agree it can be a fine line. Same with women drivers. We have to be very careful / professional etc :smiles: