• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Back in the news again- Uber Insurance

legog

Here's a driver that found out the hard and expensive way about Uber's phantom insurance coverage

http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/2015/08/18/exclusive-uberx-driver-in-insurance-trouble-after-crash
The partner contract states that the contingent coverage is only applicable if the partner has a policy that covers carrying passengers for hire. There is no such coverage available on a personal policy in Ontario, so unless a driver has a commercial taxi policy, the uber backup policy will never apply.

Now when I signed up for uber I provided them with a copy of my policy, which clearly shows that I don't have this coverage and they accepted me anyway, in clear violation of their own requirements for driver partners. So an argument could be made that they should be held responsible for the gap in protection. That would have to be argued in court and would take a long time to settle.

In the meantime driving for uber is either very risky (with no insurance) or very expensive (with commercial coverage in place).

biozon

So, as I said many times before - no matter what happens, in case of an accident, avoid mentioning anything about you driving for Uber. In this unfortunate case the pax probably was part of investigation and this was discovered. But this is a major accident (write-off vehicle) and is much less likely to happen. In non-severe cases of fender benders or insignificant impacts get the pax out of the car ASAP so they walk away and deal with this accident based on your personal driving experience, not Uber's.

biozon

That's fine, as long as the pax has no interest in making some kind of claim. Once there's any potential for $$, that's rarely the case.
Agreed. In this case you should always inform pax that if they want to make any kind of claim, if they mention Uber to anybody involved in investigation, they will get nothing out of it. The only chance to receive anything is to withheld any information about Uber and make this claim a subject to personal insurance claim. If pax are planning to submit any claims, they should not mention Uber to anyone, or they can kiss any payouts goodbye.

Weekend Warrior

Agreed. In this case you should always inform pax that if they want to make any kind of claim, if they mention Uber to anybody involved in investigation, they will get nothing out of it. The only chance to receive anything is to withheld any information about Uber and make this claim a subject to personal insurance claim. If pax are planning to submit any claims, they should not mention Uber to anyone, or they can kiss any payouts goodbye.
Do we know this for certain? I thought that Uber was quick to use their insurance to cover the claims of pax - it's just the drivers that they hang out to dry?

Nickolas

I am guessing the rule is never , I say never if involved in an accident say you were ubering. I picked up a lawyer who advised me not to tell the police, if im involved in an accident that that I was ubering. I should just say they are friends, since uber has not been clear. I had a PAX once and was stopped by Police after making a right turn at a red light, I didnt see the NO right turn on a red light sign, it was late at night. Fortunately I received a warning because the Cops printer was broken as he couldnt print my ticket. But the PAX kept telling the Cops that it is uber, I was like NO NO, you dont have to tell him that. So if the PAX just cares about coverage we should just say friends...But Uber needs to be clear.