Back in the driver seat

DB2448

Soooooo...... Hey all. It's been a very long time since I have posted on here. I think the last time I posted was August 2015 lol. But in all seriousness, it looks as though I'm back to Ubering full time. I'm considering trying out a different area, one that doesn't have a lot of drivers, but I do know the area has demand for it through community connections.

My main problem is my car. It's with my sister and I don't really have a way of getting it back since it's out of state. She's using it with full permission. I'm considering the Uber Lease with the cheapest possible options.

Now, I understand all of you or most at least (most likely) are going to say don't do it, they will screw you. But here's my problem: I had a few problems with my body that have left me unable to do "normal" jobs but I can still drive and walk around (though I do it with a limp)

Before you say this sounds suspicious, life can throw surprises at you, and it chose to do so twice last month. I was working two jobs before I lost them because of what happened. It was an injury, but that's all I'm going to say.

I was thinking of doing a Prius on the Uber Lease Program. I've emailed Uber to get specifics and I was wondering if there was a better car. I know a Prius will be cramped but it gets good gas mileage. Should I do a different car? I know that in the area that I'll be working in, I will most likely be able to get trips worth $40 or more multiple times before heading to Downtown for the rest of the day. I've thought about a Fusion if they have it since that car has lots of leg room and I have also driven a 2015 Toyota Camry and a 2012 Nissan Sentra before. I think the Sentra was listed on the lease program.

I'm curious to hear of your experience with the lease program. Yes, I know it's expensive, but like I said, life decided to surprise me last month. I need to do something to keep me sane, even if it's driving for Uber and Lyft again.

Ben105

I'm also in Roseville and unless you have a secret, I haven't found many, if any, rides worth $40, let alone multiple ones. I drive as far north as Auburn, throughout the northern suburbs, downtown, and south of downtown. I've even done some Davis runs, but again, the $40 rides are almost unheard of. Remember we're at $.74/mile now. It's a lot different that it was last year.

DB2448

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm also in Roseville and unless you have a secret, I haven't found many, if any, rides worth $40, let alone multiple ones. I drive as far north as Auburn, throughout the northern suburbs, downtown, and south of downtown. I've even done some Davis runs, but again, the $40 rides are almost unheard of. Remember we're at $.74/mile now. It's a lot different that it was last year.
Dang, that low now? I guess I'll reconsider. It just sucks because I lost my other two jobs and I remember how much money I was making on Uber last year. At the starting point of when I did it, I thought it was over $1.00/mile. It's kind of hard to find anything that I can do comfortably with my injuries. I can't stand for very long unless I have breaks. The injury took out something in my knee and hip and makes it difficult to walk and stand for long hours.

Ben105

I'm sorry. I completely understand, but yes, the rates have decreased sharply. Uber tried raising them for a week, but then brought them back down. You can't even count on Surge any more. I haven't worked in a couple of weeks as I've been traveling for business, but when I do work, I work 6 hours on Friday and Saturday nights and make about $200 for the weekend before expenses. Not very much.

DB2448

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm sorry. I completely understand, but yes, the rates have decreased sharply. Uber tried raising them for a week, but then brought them back down. You can't even count on Surge any more. I haven't worked in a couple of weeks as I've been traveling for business, but when I do work, I work 6 hours on Friday and Saturday nights and make about $200 for the weekend before expenses. Not very much.
Geesh. I remember getting a surge tripe from Sunsplash to the airport. Imagine three guys, three suitcases all trying to fit into a little Saturn Astra (about the size of a VW Bug) I got almost $60 for that plus a $10 tip for helping with the suitcases. Guess Uber really doesn't care anymore. Sounds like more money could be made from being a Taxi driver.

Ben105

Yes, probably. And that's why people say that the leases are a rip off. You'll have a hard time making the payment let alone something to live off of. I'm sure it's possible, but how many hours are you going to have to put in. I've only had two really good rides. One was from Hampton Inn to airport and was about $90 on a 5x surge I think and the other was from Watt & 80 to Fairfield on Lyft and that was a $200 ride, also surging. But most rides are under $5 with a few around $10. I may get one or two rides from suburbs to downtown and those next around $15-20. So not very much.

shiftydrake

Sounds like more money could be made from being a Taxi driver.
Yep I have been telling a few others if you like driving for pay and can't really do much more check into driving a cab this way pays better and not destroying your car......or getting into uber lease.....plus if you get into a 24 hr car you can use the cab as a personal car as well many cabbies in st Louis do that

Another Uber Driver

I was thinking of doing a Prius on the Uber Lease Program. I've thought about a Fusion if they have it since that car has lots of leg room and I have also driven a 2015 Toyota Camry
I am no fan of the Japanese-badge buggies, but many people do like them. Two of my sisters and my father have Prius. They like them. I have two Fusions, a 2015 that I use for the taxi and a 2014 that I use for UberX. They have been good to me. The Fusion has more interior room than does the Prius, but the Prius has more trunk space. The Camry and Fusion have about the same interior room, but I do not know about the trunk space, I do not know anything about the Sentra.

I did try to use the Santander Finance Programme that Uber was offering in 2014. Santander advertised the Fusion as one of the choices, but, once I had the approval, Santander told me that all that I could have was the Toyota. I did not want the Toyota, so I went and bought the Fusion using my own credit. It did help that I actually could have written a cheque for the entire price. Still, I wanted the tax deduction for the interest on the loan* as well as the record of having a car loan, as I never had a car loan previously (funny, I have had mortgages, but never a car loan).

There are several posters to these Boards who have done the lease programme and have been at least satisfied with the results thereof. These people went into it being fully aware of what it was about, fully aware of their needs and did some HW to make sure that the programme met their needs.
New2This is one who comes to mind. (Yes, I know, he is a Cowboys fan and you really can not expect too much from a Cowboys fan, but, he seems to have more on the ball than your average Cowboys fan--I do wonder what went wrong, there). My mentioning his name will trigger an alert to him, so, perhaps he will come to this topic and can let you know how it works for him. You can make this work for you if your situation is right, you are fully aware of what the programme requires, fully aware of your needs and have done your HW.

Sounds like more money could be made from being a Taxi driver.

As one who drives both UberX and a cab (I even have Uber Taxi for the cab, but Uber Taxi is not available in your market), I can assure you that driving a cab pays better, as a rule. In this market, Uber has been offering some pretty good incentives that have made driving TNC pay well, but the question becomes "For how long will Uber sustain this?". Already, Uber has scaled back slightly on the incentives. I suspect multiple motives for these incentives, though. For now, at least, as long as Uber is offering the subsidies, I am not turning them down. Usually, I drive the cab more and drive UberX only a little more than enough to stay in the game. Under the current incentive programme, I have been driving UberX more.

check into driving a cab this way pays better
There, now you have confirmation of my point from another hacker in a different market.

The following posters, LA Cabbie, painfreepc and hanging in there all hack or have hacked in that part of California, so perhaps they can comment on the comparisons. As do I, hanging in there drives both a cab and UberX. We own our cabs and our UberX cars. There may be other posters who hack in that part of California, as well. Some of them might do both.

Anyhow, welcome back........................

*I am not a Tax Professional, therefore, I am not qualified to dispense tax advice. Anyone who wants tax advice should seek it from a Professional who is qualified to dispense tax advice.