• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Awesome 80's music

Seattle_my_beloved

Listened to this for the first time ever, and I am loving it. And I was born five years after this song was filmed lol. Is this guy American?
Please share some great stuff from the awesome 80's :smiles:

Post automatically merged:

No Michael Jackson songs please lol. I have heard all of his

Last edited:

K-pax

Of the pop variety:

[It keeps trying to automerge and won’t let me embed more than 5. hmmmm. Is there a way not to automerge the messages?]

Of course there are some great non-pop songs from the 80s. Lots of good metal, punk and other such things.

Then of course stuff like Devo and Talking Heads, which I do not consider to be pop but also not quite the same as some of the punk or metal or rock type stuff.

Kind of goth-ish music:

Reggae:

Boy do I love music. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Seattle_my_beloved

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You've never heard Caribbean Queen!? How is that even possible? :smiles:

I've been digging Book of Love lately. Reminds me if Planes Trains and Automobiles

Honestly, never had heard of Carribean Queen. Found it yesterday, and listened to it all day lol.
Now I will start listening to all the songs that you guys posted, while I am playing around with my computer.

Why Americans don't know about these poor folks lol. I grew up listening to them. Our puppy dog loved this song, so we named her Cheri. Sheer in Persian means milk. Since our orphan dog grew up on bottled milk, so Sheery(Milky) or Cheri made a good name for her :biggrin: She was a tough dog. She was never scared of explosions. We would drag her by force to the basement of our house. Bad bad times, but still sweet memories.

Last edited:

Peter Vann

Most of the 80’s music was corporate schlock. The “good” 80’s music mostly occurred between 1980-83. Post punk and new wave stuff. After that (1984 & later) it was thriller, purple rain, Bruce Springsteen, hair metal, etc.

There was some decent alternative (REM, Replacements, Smiths, Depeche Mode, etc) throughout the 80’s on college radio. But the mainstream stuff sucked until Grunge came along. Of course I’m generalizing. But for the most part it’s true. There were some glimmers of hope in late 80’s with Jane’s Addiction and the Pixies.

K-pax

Most of the 80’s music was corporate schlock. The “good” 80’s music mostly occurred between 1980-83. Post punk and new wave stuff. After that (1984 & later) it was thriller, purple rain, Bruce Springsteen, hair metal, etc.

There was some decent alternative (REM, Replacements, Smiths, Depeche Mode, etc) throughout the 80’s on college radio. But the mainstream stuff sucked until Grunge came along. Of course I’m generalizing. But for the most part it’s true. There were some glimmers of hope in late 80’s with Jane’s Addiction and the Pixies.
Corporate schlock always makes the world go round. Nothing dofferent now.

Peter Vann

Corporate schlock always makes the world go round. Nothing dofferent now.
True - But I liked the corporate schlock in other decades (60’s,70’s and to a certain extent the 90’s) a little better than the 80’s corporate schlock.

K-pax

True - But I liked the corporate schlock in other decades (60’s,70’s and to a certain extent the 90’s) a little better than the 80’s corporate schlock.
Some of it is good some of it is bad. There are a couple top 40 songs I like now. I like that song ‘take me to church’, and I like Adelle (more of her first album rather than her newer one). I loved This Is America by Childish Gambino, and a couple others. I can’t stand the autotuned to crap cyber wannabe techno pop or the endless line of acousticish singers who try to have the same ‘breathy quirky regurgitated 2010s sound. There was just a new (sorta) Marvin Gaye album released. One he recorded after ‘What’s Going On?’ They shelved it till last week. That’s some phenominal ‘just released’ music.

I’d say similar in other decades. I like some popular stuff from the 80s that I don’t know if would qualify for top 40 (Talking Heads, DEVO, David Bowie, etc) but those are also kinda 70s artists, too.

Direwolfismyspiritanimal

This is Tuscadero, a great indie band from the 90's. I wasn't old and/or cool enough to listen to them during the height of their fame but I love them now. I have the Pink Album CD and every single song is awesome. Remember when bands made a CD that was meant to be listened in order and wasn't 2 singles and filler?

Why hasn't Tool come out with another CD yet? I'm going through withdrawals here.

Direwolfismyspiritanimal

I must have been pretty uncool. I’ve still never heard of them. Lol Were they bigger in other parts of the country?
I honestly have no idea how popular they were. I didn't know about them until the 2000's. All I know is they soothe the savage drunk late night pax with their indie 1990's sound.