1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Avoiding accidents

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Fuzzyelvis, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    This is one of the best compendiums of car accidents I've seen. Mainly because although many look to me to be unavoidable at least from the dash cam operator's point of view I did come away with some points reinforced:

Don't try to pass unsafely because you're in a hurry. Definitely don't follow someone else passing. They are blocking your view. This was a BIG percentage of wrecks that were completely avoidable.

Don't drive too fast for weather conditions. Saw that a lot too.

Don't follow too closely. You have no time to react.

Don't run red lights. Don't take off at green ones too fast.

If another vehicle looks like it's wobbling around slow down NOW. BEFORE it loses control. Maybe you'll have time to avoid it then. This ESPECIALLY applies to big rigs, buses, vans. Add bad weather to this and it's a double whammy.

Actually keep away from big rigs if you can. When they go wrong it's really bad. Applies to trains 10x.

Watch what's going on around you. Knowing this was a bunch of wrecks I was looking to see where they would start. Many I couldn't predict but very often I could. Clearly in many cases the dashcam driver didn't and got caught in it. If you drive as if you're watching this video you may become a nervous wreck but you'll also possibly anticipate an accident and avoid it.

Expect other drivers to be f****** idiots. Especially motorcyclists and Russians in little square cars (ok that wasn't nice, but if I ever get in one of those just shoot me. It'll be faster and less painful.)

Anyone have anything to add? Maybe watching this and learning something could save one of our lives. You never know.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. Casuale Haberdasher

Casuale Haberdasher Well-Known Member

POST #:1/FuzzyelvisFuzzyelvis : Thx F.e. !

3. SumGuy

SumGuy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Wow, the one dated 2046 looks as though we will be going back to the future.

4. Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    A few of the dates are a little off!

5. TimFromMA

TimFromMA Well-Known Member

Sometimes accidents will find you no matter how careful you are.

6. Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    Oh. Forgot another point. This video makes it perfectly.

7. Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    Some people don't smoke and still get lung cancer. A lot fewer than those who DO smoke though.

8. Tim In Cleveland

Tim In Cleveland Well-Known Member

That semi plowing into 3 cars who had a green light shocked me the most. Green doesn't mean go. It means go once the coast is clear! Look both ways!

9. Chicago-uber

Chicago-uber Well-Known Member

A lot of these accidents caused by distracted driving.

Texting can wait.